PDA

View Full Version : Bard At-Wills?

1337Noooob
2014-06-25, 03:36 PM
I'm playing a first level cunning bard for my first 4e campaign in a really long time (like, 2-3 years)

It's a Goblin (I'm not too concerned about optimization), and we're starting at level 1, if that helps.

What kind of at-wills would be good? I'd prefer PHB 2 stuff but I can listen to what else you think is good.

masteraleph
2014-06-25, 03:44 PM
The best Bard At-Wills from PHB2 are probably Guiding Strike (melee weapon) which drops a defense of the enemy's by 2 if it hits and Vicious Mockery (ranged implement) which reduces the enemy's attack rolls by 2 (also has Psychic and Charm keywords, which could be useful at some point later). They also both do damage, of course. The best overall one is probably Staggering Note from D 383 (also ranged implement)- if it hits, it deals a small amount of static damage, pushes, and grants an ally an MBA against the target.

Inevitability
2014-06-25, 03:48 PM
If you are PHB2 only, there isn't much to choose. Pick whatever powers work with the range you fight from.

And goblin bards aren't too unoptimized... You still get charisma, and that is what's important.

1337Noooob
2014-06-25, 06:15 PM
If you are PHB2 only, there isn't much to choose. Pick whatever powers work with the range you fight from.

And goblin bards aren't too unoptimized... You still get charisma, and that is what's important.

True, but I could've picked half elf.

Anyways, I don't really have to choose from PHB, it's just easier that way.

neonchameleon
2014-06-25, 06:26 PM
I'm playing a first level cunning bard for my first 4e campaign in a really long time (like, 2-3 years)

It's a Goblin (I'm not too concerned about optimization), and we're starting at level 1, if that helps.

What kind of at-wills would be good? I'd prefer PHB 2 stuff but I can listen to what else you think is good.

Guiding strike is an excellent combat buff. And Vicious Mockery is not just a good combat buff, it's really really fun

NotScaryBats
2014-06-26, 01:20 PM
If you're a Cunning Bard, try to fight at range. I think Vicious Mockery and Staggering Note are the best two.

Zaq
2014-06-27, 05:51 PM
If you have an implement, Staggering Note is hard to beat. Forced movement AND a granted attack? That's a winner.

In general, though, you'll want to pick powers that work with your fighting style, whether that's melee weapon, ranged weapon, or ranged implement. (It's possible to blur those lines with a Songbow, Songblade, or other weapliment trick, but you still need to be aware of your strengths.) If you're planning on using a bow, for example, you're pretty much stuck with Jinx Shot and that's it (and Jinx Shot isn't going to do you a bit of good if you're NOT using a ranged weapon). Choose your at-wills around your build, not your build around your at-wills.

Keywords are also important. If memory serves, Staggering Note has the Thunder keyword, which means that it's even better if you're using Mark of Storm or other Thunder shenanigans, while Vicious Mockery (I think) has the Psychic keyword, so it plays nicely with Psychic Lock and that sort of thing. (Going from memory here, so pardon the details.) Again, pick at-wills that go with your greater build, rather than building around your at-wills.