PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Dex and/or Int to increase Crit range (and get multiple attacks)

Blind_Prophet
2014-06-25, 09:35 PM
Just a random question but in the movie "Gamerz: Dorkness Rising" one of the players has a Dex/Int based fighter that some how increases her crit range by a large number (using her int or dex cant really remember) and whenever she crits she can attack again, she also used a spear to make it easier to attack more people with said ability

Now this is obviously a movie and I doubt it actually follows any real rule set but is their anything in 3/3.5 or Pathfinder that does something similar to the above (big crit range and extra attacks on crit or monster death)

Andion Isurand
2014-06-25, 09:45 PM
A few things to start with.

I know warblades add Int on rolls to confirm critical hits at 3rd level.

And in this web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), a 7th level "streetfighter" barbarian can add 1 to the threat range of any charge attack or attack against a flat-footed foe.

The Lightning Mace feat (Complete Warrior), combined with a pair of weapons with the Adptitude enhancement (Tome of Battle), is worth considering. Extra attack whenever you roll a threat using one of them.

bekeleven
2014-06-26, 03:41 AM
Yep. Standard critfisher build is dual aptitude kukris. Augment with crit abilities to taste - there are some WSAs that deal abiity damage on crits, for instance. But the main thrust is lightning mace for unbounded attacks.

You won't pull it off with a spear, sadly. That part was fabrication.

Gamers 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwtH5oQqHPg)

Blind_Prophet
2014-06-26, 04:18 AM
Ah man I was really hoping I could get something similar (albeit less OP) of well

Have you watched the 3rd GamerZ movie, it's similar except it uses MTG

Feint's End
2014-06-26, 07:56 AM
Ah man I was really hoping I could get something similar (albeit less OP) of well

I wouldn't call it op in any way.... at least not as used in the movie. She doesn't have a strength bonus and even assuming that she can get her dex to hit in some way her attacks won't deal any dmg. Even with critical strikes that is. Without any dmg bonus she probably looks at something like 1d8+3 (from enhancement that is) and 3d8+9 which averages at 22.5 dmg per attack. And the group is level 9 meaning that she is no credible threat to any level appropriate encounter.

Then again the group in darkness rising is extremely low op so it might be worth it in that specific case.

Edit: on another note ... what was it that you liked about the way she attacked enemies? Because if it's just the many people she could hit in a full attack then you can use much more effective ways than what she did. If it's the crit part it can be done but spears are very suboptimal and the whole fighting style is kinda weak compared to others.

Firechanter
2014-06-26, 03:58 PM
I vaguely remember the reason why they are using mock feats in the movie. Certainly something to do with copyright issues, although I would have thought that this shouldn't be a problem with OGL content. And they do mention Improved Initiative.

Note how those Gamers-feats are sometimes inferior to the actual PHB feats, while others would be uber-awesome:

"First Strike: when you go first and drop an opponent, you immediately get another attack"
--> worse than Cleave, because it only works when you "go first" (so prolly only in the first round of combat)

Expanded Critical / Precise Strike: "I add my Int and Dex bonuses to my Crit range"
--> Whoaha! So you're telling me that with some magic items, I could get my Crit Range up to, say, 4-20?

Critical Momentum: "I get an extra attack every time I land a Critical Hit"
--> yeah buddy, you wish. =D

So First Strike is just weak man's Cleave, but the other feats are so powerful and synergistic that anyone would be a fool to _not_ build a Critfisher.
Even if we ignore the expanded critrange and just assume the normal 3.5 maximum of 15-20, Critical Momentum would be totally worth it.