PDA

View Full Version : Chedicar ( a new outsider)

ngilop
2014-06-25, 11:42 PM
Chedicar
Size/Type: Large Outsider(evil)
Hit Dice: 12d8+48 (102 hp)
Initiative: +6 ( +2 dex, +4 improved Initiative)
Speed: 50ft.
Armor Class: 28, touch 11, flat-footed 20 (-1 size, +2 dex, +6 Breast Plate+1, +11 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+21
Attack: +18 Large+1 ranseur 2d6+8 X3 or claw +16 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Large +1 ranseur +18/+13/+8 melee (2d6+8/x3) or 2 claws +16 melee (1d8+5)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Cold Frenzy, Drain Life, Frenzy, Mangle, Spell-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Fast Healing 2, Immunity to cold, disease, exhaustion, fatigue, and poison, Immunity to spells and effects with the charm and compulsion descriptor, Resistance cold 20, fire 20, sonic 20, SR 25
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +10, Will +12
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
Skills: Appraise +7, Climb +20, Intimidate +15, Handle Animal +15, Spot +17, Listen +17, Jump +20, Spellcraft +10, Sense Motive +17, Survival +19,
Feats: Weapon focus (Ranseur), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Iron Will, Improved Bullrush
Enviroment: Any evil plane
Organization: Solitary, or band (4-10)
Challange Rating: 11
Treasure: Standard plus Large +1 breastplate and Large+1 ranseur.
Alignment: Any Evil
Advancement: Large 12-14 HD, Huge 15-18 HD
Level Adjustment: —

Chedicar resemble powerfully built humanoids standing between 9 and 12 feet tall. These creatures are covered in muscle and blueish purple fur. They walk upright on sturdy legs enlongated arms and use armor and wield weapons.

Chedicar have a militaristic society, devoted to the expansion of warfare and evil. Chedicar are indoctrinated to serve in wars from the moment they are 'born'. They often hire themselves out to others as mercanaries, especially when called to combat the forces of good.

Chedicar for all their military focus, have little in mind when it comes to tactics, not normally using the vast array of supernatural abilties given to them. Were Chedicar not such ferocious oppoenents their feeble attempts at tactics and such might be considered laughable.

In combat chedicar usually just charge their opponents with a bulrush attempt. Swinging away with full attacks against a single opponent. Against celestials chedicar are more apt to use any of their spell like abilities, normally 'softening' the opposition up with an unholy blight before charging into the fray. If met with any semblance of stern resistance the chedicar go into their cold frenzy. When brought below half life chedicar drain life, restoring their own health and dwindling that of their foes.

Drain Life (Su): At will as a swift action,but only once per encounter, a chedicar may drain life energy from all opponenets within 10 feet. This ability deals 12d4 points of damage and heals the chedicar for one fourth that ammount. A Successful fortutude save DC 16 negates the damage, the save is charisma based.

Cold Frenzy (Ex): Once per day as a free action, a chedicar may work itself into a fighting rage for 2d4+4 rounds, at which time the cold frenzy ends with no ill effects for the chedicar. This grants the chedicar a +4 enhancement bonus to strength, dexterity, and constitition as well as a +2 morale bonus to will saves.

Mangle (Ex): If a chedicar hits an oppoent twice with his weapon in the same round, the target takes an additional 3d8 points of bleed damage for the next 3 rounds. A Heal check DC 15 stops this bleeding.

Spell Like Abilities:
At will—See Invisible, Ice Storm, Darkness, 1/day— Unholy Blight. Caster Level 10th.

Resistances (Ex): a Chedicar has fire, Electricity and sonic resistance 20.

Immunities (Ex): A chedicar is immune to cold, poison, disease, Fatigue, exhaustion, as well as spells and effects with the charm and compulsion descriptor

Soarel
2014-06-26, 12:33 AM
This is a really amazing idea in terms of crunch, but when it comes to fluff it's a bit lacking. What is their plane of origin (and which cosmology does that plane belong in)? Why are they doing this? Who are their leaders (important)?

Debihuman
2014-06-26, 03:29 AM
OMG, you made Sully's evil twin :-) Kudos on making a pretty solid entry. I just have a number of quibbles with it.

To get back to the stat block and text: It has a lot of spelling errors. Normally, I don't bring up spelling but this entry could use it. If you use Google Chrome or Firefox, you can use their spellcheckers.

Bonus damage with a manufactured melee weapon is equal to Str bonus. Did you change its Str score and not update it? It should be +5. A ranseur does triple damage on a critical hit so that should be noted in the damage as well. Also, attack with his melee weapon is BAB 12 + Str +5 -1 size +1 for weapon focus for a total of 17 not 19.

Attack lines should be complete. Also, does he have any natural weapons? He should probably have 2 claws that he can use if loses his weapon. The ranseur is a two-handed weapon so he can't make a claw attack as a secondary attack with it. I always use the dragon claw damage chart for how much a large claw should do (1d8). This is how it looks with corrected attack for the ranseur and if you add claw attacks.

Attack: Large +1 ranseur +18 melee (2d6+8/x3) or claw +16 melee (1d8+5)
Full Attack: Large +1 ranseur +18/+13/+8 melee (2d6+8/x3) or 2 claws +16 melee (1d8+5)

Speaking of combat, you should note in combat section how he attacks. He probably starts combat with a charging bullrush on any opponent that looks weaker than him and attempts to push his opponent off a ledge or into a pit. On the following round, he takes advantage of his Power Attack to pummel his opponents.

Boring mechanics on the math of charging bullrush for new DMs:
If he makes a charging bullrush (double speed but he must move at least 10 feet), he takes a -2 penalty to AC and can only make a standard action, but he doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity, and he gets the following bonuses on his Strength check to push back his target : +4 bonus for being Large, +2 bonus for charging, and +4 from the Improved Bullrush feat. For every 5 points he beats his opponent's Strength check, he can push his opponent back an add'l 5 feet. If he fails the Strength check, he moves 5 feet straight back to where he was were before he moved into his opponent's space. If that space is occupied, he falls prone in that space.
Supernatural abilities are usually Charisma-based but you should still note it. Life Drain is nasty. Does he gain extra hit points as temporary hit points and if so, how long do they last? Normally temporary hit points last one hour.

He seems to be missing darkvision 60 ft. It is part of his Outsider traits. Also put in all the immunities and resistances on the correct lines and alphabetize. For 12 HD he has 5 special attacks and 14 Special Qualities. Whoa! He's got way to many for his HD and CR. I generally recommend that creatures have as many special abilities as they have HD not including those that come with traits or from class levels.

Special Attacks: Cold Frenzy, Drain Life, Frenzy, Mangle, Spell-like Abilities
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 10/Good, Darkvision 60 ft., Fast Healing 2, Immunity to cold, disease, exhaustion, fatigue, and poison, Immunity to spells and effects with the charm and compulsion descriptor, Resistance cold 20, fire 20, sonic 20, SR 25

Environment should be Any evil-aligned plane.

For symmetry, I generally think it's best that creatures gain a size when they double their hit dice.
Advancement: 13-14 HD (Large). 15-28 HD (Huge)

The magical breastplate and the weapon should be noted in treasure as well.
Treasure: Standard plus Large +1 breastplate and Large ranseur.

Your Challenge Rating is far too low. I get 15 using Vorpal Tribble's CR Estimator.

Vorpal Tribble’s CR Estimator
#1. Divide creature's average HP by 4.5 to 6.5.
4.5 for 5 HD or lower, 5 for 6-10 HD, 5.5 for 11-15 HD, 6 for 16-20 HD., 6.5 for 20-25 HD.

102/5.5= 18

#2. Add 1 for each five points above 10 its AC is, subtracting 1 for every 5 below.

#3. Add 1 for each special attack (+2 to +5 or more if it has a decent number of spells in its spell-like abilities).

#4. Add 1 for each quality unless you deem it worthy of more. Add 1 for each resistance and 10 points of DR it has, and 2 for each immunity. Subtract 1 for each vulnerability.

19 (I'm only counting double on standard immunities to cold, disease, exhaustion, fatigue and poison)

#5. Add 1 for every two bonus feats it has.

#6. Divide total by 3. This should be its rough CR.

18 +3 +5 +19 +0= 45/3 = 15

Edited to fix attack line for magic weapon.
Debby

jiriku
2014-06-26, 09:06 AM
For a CR 10 monster, chedicar has very stout defenses. High SR, damage reduction, many immunities, some resistances, solid hit points, high armor class, self-healing... there really isn't much about its defenses that isn't top-shelf for a CR 10 monster. So I'd concur with debi, this one is a little bit too powerful for the challenge rating.

There is some really nice potential in its abilities though. You gave it a very limited list, which I like (makes the DM's job easier), but the SLA's synergize well. It's immune to the cone of cold and unholy blight, so it can drop AoEs indiscriminately -- very nice. You might even consider dropping the Iron Will feat for Blindfight. Then the chedicar would function more effectively in its darkness SLA. You really have a little less need for a Will save booster since you're already immune to charms and compulsions.

ngilop
2014-06-29, 01:39 AM
@ debi :) who is sully?
its +8 dmg instead of +5 because I am pretty sure than 2 handed weapons get +1 1/2 str bonus on dmg also its supposed to be a +1 weapon and totally forgot to include that in the stats

he has a LOT of special abilities ( most of them anti magic) because this guy fills a very specific role an evil outsider brute who is very resistant to magical forms of attack, and can actually hold his own in melee

im might be willing to up the CR to 11, but then disintegrate make this guy a complete non-threat

I will never use tribbles CR calculator, its only good for anything that is a pure beat stick meat shield with few or no special abilities, you put any outsider in that formula and found out how much the difference between, like slap the vrock or the barbed devil in that.

Debihuman
2014-06-29, 05:12 AM
Sully is the blue and purple-spotted furry monster from Monsters Inc. and Monster University.

Ah, you're right about 2-handed weapons using 1 and 1/2 times Str bonus. I'd forgotten that. If it is supposed to be a a magic weapon that explains the other missing +1. I'll edit my earlier post to reflect this change as well. My earlier posted is now edited.

This is tougher than a Vrock. It has DOUBLE the resistances: Vrock has Resistances 10 and this has 20. Vrock has SR 17, this has SR 25. Vrock's Dance of Ruin requires 3 vrocks to cause 20 HD worth of damage, this can do 12 HD worth of damage by itself.

I'd still increase the CR to 11 at least. Disintegrate with SR 25 is not very likely. Also this has 102 HP and a disintegrate spell only does 2d6 points of damage per caster level and the creature can make a save to only take 5d6 points of damage. Yes, it could be disintegrated but odds of that happening are slim. 22d6 on average is 77 points of damage, so not terribly likely to be disintegrated.

Debby

ngilop
2014-06-29, 08:44 PM
OH I know who sully is now LOL

changed it up to CR 11 and did your suggested edit

added in a typical combat style paragraph as well.

at least my concepts are pretty solid, just need to work on getting all the stuffs together and correct

but that why awesome peeps like you and jiriku are here :)