PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed RkV build help

Rofltrollcopter
2014-06-25, 11:47 PM
Hello, I will be recently participating in a pbp campaign on these very forms, and since the game type is shaping up to be a mid-high optimization level, I decided to run with a Ruby Knight Vindicator build. The party already has a primary tank, so I am looking to handle the primary divine caster role and also be an off-tank. We rolled for our stats, and I ended with 15,15,14,10,9,9. I would appreciate advice with the build. For a race I am thinking lesser aasimar for the bonuses to Wis and Cha. As far as a general strategy goes, I am planning on taking Divine Metamagic: Quicken to be more effective caster. If there is another way to be a more effective divine caster without going into divine metamagic, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Here is my current character sheet, any advice would be appreciated. http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=923221 For the build I am thinking clostered cleric 4/crusader 1/RkV X. Any advice would be appreciated, especially for how to get the most out of my feat slots. I'm not sure if practiced spellcaster is necessary for clerics.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-26, 01:07 AM
You're starting at level 3, then? It looks okay, but you might consider delaying Travel Devotion and/or Practiced Spellcaster. It conflicts with quickened spells until you get Divine Impetus, eats your few turn attempts, and you won't need to full attack.

You have a couple options to replace them with. First, Extra Turning. To make much use of a single instance of this immediately, you'll need to swap Intelligence and Charisma. You'll never have fewer than 4 skill points per level, and with Extra Turning and a Reliquary Holy Symbol you have ten uses = two quickened spells per day. (With two instances but no swap you have 13 = two quickened spells per day) That's a big boost at low levels. The -1 modifier to the Knowledges is irritating, but it's -1/10 of a point of damage per hit (and to hit) at low levels and -1/5 at higher levels (when you can afford to have lore of the gods up almost every combat). And there's plenty of other ways to boost Knowledge checks at higher levels—don't forget that until you get your crusader level you're squishy and will miss a lot; your strength is your spells, not your, well, Strength.

The other is Celestial Bloodline and Outsider Wings. All-day non-magical non-sunderable flight is worth two feats. In fact, based on later feats, it's worth more. If you go this route, switch to a longspear. You shouldn't be wearing a heavy shield anyway; +1 AC (compared to a MW buckler) is not worth -1 Initiative.

Also, spread your skill points around to the other Knowledge skills. You should be at least trained in Local, Dungeoneering, and Nature so you can use Knowledge Devotion for every enemy you come across. You don't need Spellcraft that high, particularly if you have anyone else investing in it.

At higher levels, don't bother with Protection Devotion. Again, it eats up your turn attempts (doubly so if you plan on using it with Divine Impetus); you have enough good swift-action spells (aside from quickened ones, which are 1/round) and, eventually, boosts and counters, and by the time you get it (definitely not earlier than 9th, because you want Extra Granted Maneuver ASAP) AC is not the best defense or the one you need to worry about most.

Finally, get rid of Murky-Eyed. Now. Concealment is common and you up your miss chance from 20% or 50% to 36% or 75%. Take Meager Fortitude or Feeble if you think your DM won't go for Shaky.

Aegis013
2014-06-26, 01:20 AM
Take Meager Fortitude or Feeble if you think your DM won't go for Shaky.

I actually recommend Vulnerable. It really won't hurt the character's melee competency significantly once you take the level of Crusader; after all, getting hit powers up your Furious Counterstrike.

Rofltrollcopter
2014-06-26, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the really well thought out advice :smallsmile: I'm thinking of keeping my Int at 10 and taking both extra turning feats, that should put the total turn attempts at 14, which would be enough to last for the campaign. Also I can easily get two extra uses if I get a +4 bonus to Cha and a nightstick.

As an aside, would you say that Practiced Spellcaster is worth it for multiclass clerics? It seems to me that caster level isn't as important for clerics, since most of their spells are buffs and don't really scale with levels.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-26, 06:12 PM
Practiced Spellcaster might be worth it at high levels, but not now. You'll eventually be three CL down, at which point the duration and scaling buffs matter, but for one or two it's not worth a feat.

Rebel7284
2014-06-26, 07:41 PM
I feel like RKV is the BEST class in the game for tanking. So if you want to be a caster first, tank second, I would go for another cleric prestige class. Dweomerkeeper is nice. That way you are not 3 levels behind a pure cleric. Turning into a tank takes 1-2 actions anyway, or 0 actions if you go with persistent spell.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-26, 07:56 PM
I feel like RKV is the BEST class in the game for tanking. So if you want to be a caster first, tank second, I would go for another cleric prestige class. Dweomerkeeper is nice. That way you are not 3 levels behind a pure cleric. Turning into a tank takes 1-2 actions anyway, or 0 actions if you go with persistent spell.

The issue is that you are, for the first four levels, a caster first by necessity. You have low Dexterity and light armor, a small hitdie, low BAB, a poor selection of weapons, and likely no feats geared toward physical combat.