PDA

View Full Version : Bardic knowledge or bardic knack?

Deme
2007-02-25, 01:25 PM
I'm creating a bard for a campaign. He's a sort of carefree drifter-dude...(note to self: make character who uses surfer-talk one day)...and I'm not sure whether to use bardic knack or bardic knowledge for him. The DM says that's up to me (Many people in my game group are just as indecisive as I am, which makes character creation hard.)

On one had, I can see him knowing a whole mess about a whole lotta stuff from his travels -- it probably helped him get by.

On the other hand, I can say the same thing about him being skill-monkey supreme. Right now I have some skillpoints in cross-class skills that feel right for him to know that it'd be nice to have freed up.

My issue with bardic knack is the slowness of the advancement...it goes up every 2 levels, with bardic knowledge every level and with my intelligence modifier.

My issue with bardic knowledge is that if I had bardic knack, I would be able to free up some skill points and I could spend them on more knowledges.

The campain is starting at level 1, and the other party members are a beguiler, a swashbuckler, a druid, and a cleric who's eventually going to multiclass into sorceror.

Any opinions on the matter?

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 01:35 PM
bardic knowledge it you are sticking with bard for sometime, it improves with level. If you are only dipping in bard, bardic knack since it doesn't scale.

I prefer bardic knowledge.

its_all_ogre
2007-02-25, 02:25 PM
bardic knowledge depends entirely on your dm. there are not any REAL rules that support what exactly it does.
if your dm does not like giving info out then bardic knack is better, skill checks have concrete rules behind them.

Ishkahl
2007-02-25, 02:28 PM
You could always do both and not use the variant to keep Knowledge, then take the feat Jack-of-all-trades, which gives you .5 rank in all skills. That way you can say you have practiced alittle bit of everything in your travel and also learned a lot. If you want higher ranks, you can always just go with a high int.

Deme
2007-02-25, 02:41 PM
You could always do both and not use the variant to keep Knowledge, then take the feat Jack-of-all-trades, which gives you .5 rank in all skills. That way you can say you have practiced alittle bit of everything in your travel and also learned a lot. If you want higher ranks, you can always just go with a high int.

I might just do that. I have a good INT score as it is, but that's probably the best option I have for 'having my cake and eating it too'