PDA

View Full Version : Superhero New Player Building his First Superhero

Enochi
2014-06-26, 03:12 AM
Hello my friends an I are starting a PL 10 3e M&M game.

As this is our first outing in this particular game type and I have a nasty habit of breaking systems and sometimes not reading the rules clearly enough I would like to ask for some help with my character to make sure It is built properly and isn't game breaking.

The idea behind the character is a Rich High-stakes Gambler who is seeking some new thrill. Heir to a vast Pharmaceutical Empire, He was granted his power of telekensis via a new drug the business has developed.

Abilities: 18

Str 1
Sta 2
AGL 2
Dex 2
FGT 0
INT 0
AWE 2
PRE 0

Defense: 14
Dodge: 2 (4)
Fort: 2 (4)
Parry: 0 (0)
Tough: 2 (4)
Will: 8 (10)

SKills: 16
Acro: 0 (2)
Athletics: 0 (1)
Close Combat: 4 (8)
Deception: 0 (1)
Insight: 4 (10)
Investigation: 4 (8)
Perception: 4 (10)
Persuasion: 0 (0)
Sleight of hand: 0(2)
Stealth: 0 (2)
Technology: 0 (0)
Treatment: 0 (0)
Vechicles: 0 (2)

Advantages: 22
Assessment: 1
Beginner's Luck: 1
Benefit: Wealth 4: 4
Connected: 1
Contacts: 1
Improved Critical: 4
Improved Initiative: 1
Improvised Tools: 1
Languages: 2
Luck: 5
Well-informed: 1

Powers: 72+9 Dynamic Array

Per Rank: 6 points per rank
Move Object 2
Damaging 1
Perception 1
Subtle 1
Multi Attack 1

10 ranks x 10

Flat: 12
Presise 1
Feature 1
Indirect 4
Accuracy 6

Dynamic: 9
Enhanced Dodge 2
Enhanced Toughness 2
Growth 2
Flight 2
Move Object 1

This are some of the Array Setups I have though I could use. Keeping within my 72 point spread.

Defensive Tk Toughness
11 Enhanced Toughness
2 Flight 1
57 Move Object rank 6
1 Enhanced Dodge

Defensive Tk Dodge
1 Enhanced Toughness
2 Flight 1
57 Move Object rank 6
11 Enhanced Dodge

Growth Area Dodge
44 Growth + Impervious
27 Enhanced Dodge 9 + Area Shapeable Rank 1 + Selective

Full Evasive Defense
44 Enhanced Dodge 11 + Area Shapable rank 2 + Selective
10 Enhanced Toughtness 5 + Impervious
18 Flight Rank 9

Full Impervious Toughtness Defense
60 Enhanced Toughness 15 + Impervious + Area Shapeable Rank 1 + Selective
1 Enhanced Dodge
10 Flight Rank 5 + subtle

Edit:
One of the major question I have is this. I have bought my attack on my Telekinetic Attack up to a +14 but have the potential to do 10 damage. Does this mean I have to make the attacks at +10 attack +10 damage or can I vary it at will ranging from +10-14 attack and a respective 10-6 damage?

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-26, 11:39 AM
Right. So. First things first: Defenses. Those are inexcusable. You need to be hitting your PL caps on all your defenses at all times. It's not negotiable. A dynamic array isn't going to cut it, not unless you're just using it to modify your trade-offs. Especially not when you're choosing between having an offense and having a defense. (Take it from experience-- I had a player who thought they'd be OK with low defenses because they took Insubstantial 3. They were annihilated 3 sessions in, the only death in a year-long campaign).

On the subject of your power:

Subtle is a flat modifier, not a per-rank one-- check the table at the back of the Powers chapter. The entry under the Move Object section is generally considered an error (http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46880).
Multiattack can't be applied to a Perception-ranged attack. Or, rather, it can, but it's virtually useless-- the two useful parts (single target and multiple targets) are based on attack rolls, which you don't make when using a Perception power.
I'm not sure why you have Accurate on the power, but you don't need it-- Perception powers auto-hit.
Growth probably doesn't belong in an array that's all about telekinesis.

And as for your question... I'm not sure if there's a "right" answer, but my ruling is usually that the effect rank is dominant-- you can't voluntarily lower it to keep your accuracy up, short of using the Accurate Attack maneuver.

Beleriphon
2014-06-26, 04:53 PM
To answer the question, trade-offs are permanent without using Advantages like Accurate Attack or Power Attack.

Keep in mind, and most people forget this, you can use any of the on the fly maneuvers (Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, et al) without the advantage, but you can only use up to +2/-2 rather than the full +5/-5.