PDA

View Full Version : [Feats] Finish Him....

Penguinizer
2007-02-25, 02:34 PM
Brutal Strike [feat]

Requirments: BAB +10, stunning fist, improved unarmed combat.

As a standard action the character can perform a brutal attack, this attack deals an extra 1d6 damage at level1-5, 2d8 at 6-10, 3d6 at 11-15, and caps out at 3d8 at level 16. This attack also deals one extra damage dice on level 1-8, 1.5 (roll, then half. Rounded down) at levels 9-14, and 2 at level 15 against stunned foes.
This feat uses 2 stunning fist uses.

The player must tell that he is performing a brutal strike before attacking, as with stunning fist.

The monk receives this feat for free at level 15 or 16 or something like that.

Brutal Finisher [feat]

requirments: BAB +12, Brutal Attack, Stunning Fist, Improved unarmed combat.

When you deal un-armed damage that puts the target at 0 or less HP, the target must succeed a fortitude save (DC=10+damage dealt) or be immediatly taken to -10 hp without a chance of stabilisation. Creatures immune to critical hits arent affected by this feat. A magical mouth appears and says the phrase "Fatality!" if the feat succesfully takes the target to -10. The player may also describe what happens.

My first feat, so I expect there to be many mistakes.

ChildOfLuna
2007-02-25, 04:43 PM
Brutal Strike [feat]

Requirments: BAB +10, stunning fist, improved unarmed combat.

As a standard action the character can perform a brutal attack, this attack deals an extra 2d4 damage at level1-5, 2d6 at 6-10, 2d8 at 11-15, and caps out at 2d10 at level 16. This attack also deals one extra damage dice on level 1-8, 2 at levels 9-14, and 3 at level 15 against stunned foes.
A fortitude save halves damage taken.

The player must tell that he is performing a brutal strike before attacking, as with stunning fist.

Level 01-05: +2d4
Level 06-10: +2d6
Level 11-15: +2d8
Level 16-XX: +2d10
Stunned Foe
Level 01-05: +3d4
Level 06-08: +3d6
Level 09-10: +4d6
Level 11-14: +4d8
Level 15-15: +5d8
Level 16-XX: +5d10

This seems rather powerful to me. It's basically an Insta-Monk. I think that ability is just too powerful to wrap in to a feat. Adding an extra die to damage against stunned foes, however, does appeal to me. Though, stunning rules as they are make the character stunned until right before your next action. As is, it would have to be some sort of synergy between two fistfighters to pull it off. I wouldn't allow this feat.

Brutal Finisher [feat]

When you deal un-armed damage that puts the target at 0 or less HP, the target must succeed a fortitude save or be immediatly taken to -10 hp without a chance of stabilisation.
This feat seems quite fine to me. Themed after the Mortal Kombat fatalities, it does a just summation of the rules therein. I would allow it, but perhaps with the same restrictions as Sneak Attack/Critical Hits in regards to possible targets. For instance, how are you going to rip that Gelatanious Cube's spine out? Constructs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#constructType), oozes (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#oozeType), plants (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#plantType), undead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#undeadType), incorporeal creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#incorporealSubtype), and creatures immune to critical hits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits) cannot be targeted by Brutal Finish.

My first feat, so I expect there to be many mistakes.
I like the second feat, and to some extent the concept of the first.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-25, 08:58 PM
Why not "Fort Save or die?" At -10 with no chance of stabilization, don't they die instantly, unless you're going by the rules that they don't die until they reach - Their Con? Or do they not die until the next round, thus getting a chance for an ally to heal them?

Mewtarthio
2007-02-25, 11:58 PM
Why not "Fort Save or die?" At -10 with no chance of stabilization, don't they die instantly, unless you're going by the rules that they don't die until they reach - Their Con? Or do they not die until the next round, thus getting a chance for an ally to heal them?

A few rules deal with the difference between "death by HP depletion" and "death by failed save."

Penguinizer
2007-02-26, 01:55 AM
I downed the damage on brutal attack, and made creatures immune to criticals immune to brutal finisher.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-26, 10:43 AM
The feat looks interesting, although I'm unsure of balance. As a note, however...

As a standard action the character can perform a brutal attack, this attack deals an extra 1d4 damage at level1-5, 2d4 at 6-10, 1d8 at 11-15, and caps out at 2d8 at level 16.

Going from 2d4 to 1d8 is actually a DECREASE in average damage, not an upgrade. I'd suggest a progression of 1d8, 2d6, 2d8, 3d6 or something similar. To balance it out, perhaps add that it takes up one use of stunning fist (although the standard-action bit you have may be enough).

Penguinizer
2007-02-26, 12:02 PM
I might up the damage by 1 dice each, since it feels somewhat underpowered. Maybe add in the stunning fist cost.

elliott20
2007-02-26, 01:30 PM
wow, that first feat would pay so many dividends off of the sheer damage out put that I can't imagine anybody NOT taking it. That feat is basically a one stop "buy a monk unarmed damage" feat.

seems a tad too powerful. Hell, just giving the feat an additional 2d6 points of damage alone would make this feat a very good one.

Penguinizer
2007-02-26, 01:41 PM
I think that the 2 stunning fist uses and standard action parts somewhat balance it. And maybe the fort save for half damage.

elliott20
2007-02-26, 01:44 PM
well, there's no need to give it a fort save for half damage. I mean, we wouldn't give somebody who just took a sword swipe to the chest a save for half damage, so there's no reason to do it here.

but making it give up two uses of stunning fist would definitely help. It also means that there is a limit as to how many times per day this can be used, which would actually make it okay for me.

Penguinizer
2007-02-26, 02:12 PM
There is. End of the descriptor.

nivek1234
2007-02-26, 08:36 PM
Brutal Finisher [feat]

When you deal un-armed damage that puts the target at 0 or less HP, the target must succeed a fortitude save or be immediatly taken to -10 hp without a chance of stabilisation. Creatures immune to critical hits arent affected by this feat.

Emphasis mine. What would the DC be?

Penguinizer
2007-02-27, 01:31 AM
Yeah, that popped to mind...

Im not exactly sure of what would be balanced.

nivek1234
2007-02-27, 01:34 PM
The two common ones that come to mind are:
DC = 10 + damage dealt (ala death from massive wounds)
DC = 10 + 1/2 monk level (round down) + mod (either STR or WIS, not sure which fits best)

Penguinizer
2007-02-27, 01:55 PM
DC 10+ damage dealt would make sense. Not too easy, yet not too hard since damage increases with level.