View Full Version : Optimization Am I Going Too Far? Tricked Out Mounts

CrazyYanmega
2014-06-26, 01:25 PM
I am preparing to re-enter a high-power game, and I'm figuring out what to purchase with my improved WBL for my kineticist Psion/Electrokineticist. I've decided on a Warbeast Megaraptor of Legend as my mount, and a Celestial Warbeast Spinosaurus mount for the rest of the party. From what I've been told, the party is severely lacking in melee tanks and have been struggling with extremely difficult encounters. Any spare cash would go toward outfitting the multi-person exotic saddle for the Spinosaurus with the DM's Magitech cannons.

Am I going too far here?

Also, I've been deciding on the feats for the Spinosaurus, and have decided on: Snatch, Multiattack, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Critical (Claw), Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Combat Brute. I have one feat left, and I can figure out which one to use. Any suggestions?

RogueDM
2014-06-27, 11:18 AM
Underlights? Spinners? A subwhoofer perhaps?

Oddman80
2014-06-27, 12:01 PM
Hey Crazy - welcome back. I missed your Optimization posts...

Improved Natural Attack (Bite and/or Claw) to increase size of weapon is useful.
Also, have you seen the Necklace of Natural Attacks (Savage Species) that allows you to Enchant the natural weapons?

I had this idea for a wild cohort to give them Improved Natural attack and also a "Sizing"Enhancement for 5K gp out of MIC - then the animals can keep their weapons normal sized for moving around and typical daily routine (size down from improved), and then when an encounter begins, the animal's claws and teeth beast out into freaking scary mutations of themselves. Plus, since its not a +1 enhancement you can still add on your favorite enhancement at the standard cost structure (straight multiplied by the number of attacks you want to apply it to)

The Alternate is to just give them a nice little Horned Helm, giving them a 1d8 secondary gore attack as well.

CrazyYanmega
2014-06-27, 01:48 PM
Hey Crazy - welcome back. I missed your Optimization posts...

Improved Natural Attack (Bite and/or Claw) to increase size of weapon is useful.
Also, have you seen the Necklace of Natural Attacks (Savage Species) that allows you to Enchant the natural weapons?

The Alternate is to just give them a nice little Horned Helm, giving them a 1d8 secondary gore attack as well.

How does this Necklace of Natural Attacks work? I could really use it on my Poison Dusk Monk.

Red Fel
2014-06-27, 02:27 PM
How does this Necklace of Natural Attacks work? I could really use it on my Poison Dusk Monk.

Obligatory handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0).

The gist: A Necklace of Natural Attacks/Weapons/whichever allows you to enchant your natural weapons as you would a manufactured weapon. It also allows you to enchant multiple natural weapons, although each weapon must be enchanted separately (e.g. you could make your claws +2 Flaming, your bite +2 Shocking, and your tail +1 Collision). The plus is that it lets you do anything with natural weapons that you could do with manufactured, the minus is that once you exceed two natural weapons, it becomes incredibly expensive.

The alternative is the Amulet of Mighty Fists, which ironically is better for a creature that uses a slew of natural weapons. The AoMF simply adds a flat +X enhancement, no special enhancements like Flaming or Vorpal, but it does so across the board, to all natural weapons. It's the economy-sized version.

Inevitability
2014-06-27, 02:42 PM
Also, I've been deciding on the feats for the Spinosaurus, and have decided on: Snatch, Multiattack, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Critical (Claw), Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Combat Brute. I have one feat left, and I can figure out which one to use. Any suggestions?

Tunnel Fighting if you're going to dungeon-delve.

Coidzor
2014-06-27, 03:08 PM
I am preparing to re-enter a high-power game, and I'm figuring out what to purchase with my improved WBL for my kineticist Psion/Electrokineticist. I've decided on a Warbeast Megaraptor of Legend as my mount, and a Celestial Warbeast Spinosaurus mount for the rest of the party. From what I've been told, the party is severely lacking in melee tanks and have been struggling with extremely difficult encounters. Any spare cash would go toward outfitting the multi-person exotic saddle for the Spinosaurus with the DM's Magitech cannons.

Am I going too far here?

If he's giving you cannons then they're probably not overkill. Also, you may just want to get a Howdah or whatever those war elephant platforms are called. IIRC, there were rules for that in the Arms and Equipment Guide.

As for the Warbeast Megaraptor of Legend... Depends on the level you're brining it to bear and the level of power exactly. If the DM's okaying it though, the DM's okaying it. Which, really, is about the only way to really adjudicate Warbeast making various creatures purchasable.

Oddman80
2014-06-27, 03:53 PM

The necklace costs 600 gp by itself. You place it around the neck of whatever creature has the natural attacks. By itself, its pretty useless, from my understanding.

However, if you want to give your bite attack a +1 enhancement you add 2000 to the price. If you want the +1 enhancement to affect bite and claw attacks, you pay another 2000 on top of that (or, if you're DM is a stickler, add yet another 2000, since you have two claws).

So for either 4600 gp or 6600 gp, you get +1 magical on attack and damage rolls, as well as for purposes of overcoming DR.

Same would go for magical enhancements. If right off the bat, you want to have a +1 frost bite, and +1 corrosive claws (I enjoy puns and alliteration), that would be either 16,600 gp or 24,600 gp depending on DM interpretation.

CrazyYanmega
2014-06-29, 12:58 PM
Oh, the party is about level 9, and will likely be around 10-11 once I enter.

CrazyYanmega
2014-07-04, 06:53 PM
Finished the Mounts!

Zephyr the Megaraptor of Legend (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=945956)

Ripjaw the Celestial Spinosaurus (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=945968)

Stormfin the Half-Celestial Megolodon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947818)

Cirrus the Half-Celestial Quetzalcoatl (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947853)

Porkchop the Razorboar of Legend (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=947740)

So what do you guys think? Any way I can improve them, or is this enough for the cost of 6650 gp?

EDIT: Forgot the links

Oddman80
2014-07-04, 09:33 PM
Ho. Lee. Crap.
Those are sweet!
Each one costs under 7k gp!?!?
Is your plan, now to buy each party member a dedicated mount (instead of the one mount big enough to hold the entire party)?

Oh, how I wish I were one of the existing party members... (is this the forbidden fruit campaign?)

Where do you find the pricing for such a beast (or how did you come to those figures absent of source data)?

CrazyYanmega
2014-07-05, 12:42 PM
Ho. Lee. Crap.
Those are sweet!
Each one costs under 7k gp!?!?
Is your plan, now to buy each party member a dedicated mount (instead of the one mount big enough to hold the entire party)?

Oh, how I wish I were one of the existing party members... (is this the forbidden fruit campaign?)

Where do you find the pricing for such a beast (or how did you come to those figures absent of source data)?

Actually, they are all combined under 7k gp. This is for the Goddess in Chains campaign, though I think I'll try to get a mount in the Forbidden Fruit Campaign as well.

I came up with their prices via the Warbeast Template, which gives a GP cost for trained monsters.

Oddman80
2014-07-05, 03:47 PM
Ok. Not to nitpick... But:

The half celestial template requires the creature receiving the template to have at least 4 intelligence. It then goes on to add +2 INT as part of the template.

I see that the "Monster of Legend" template adds +2 INT to the base creature. This would bring your regular 2 INT beast high enough to qualify for the half celestial template...

But it looks like you are only applying either the half celestial or the monster of legend templates. Not sure where the full celestial template comes from (I couldn't find it)...

So I am not sure a few of those mounts are viable...

Also, since the the war beast pricing is setting price by hit die, alone.... Should there be any additional cost multipliers for the unusual nature of the template stacked creatures to take into account the extra abilities? The impressive list that comes from the monster of legend template alone (raging blood, haste, fast heal, regeneration, breath weapon, poison attacks, cleric spells, DR 10, attribute enhancements, spell resistance, immunities.... And more!) seems like it should at least double the price of the mount beyond simple Warbeast... No?

CrazyYanmega
2014-07-05, 03:53 PM
Ok. Not to nitpick... But:

The half celestial template requires the creature receiving the template to have at least 4 intelligence. It then goes on to add +2 INT as part of the template.

I see that the "Monster of Legend" template adds +2 INT to the base creature. This would bring your regular 2 INT beast high enough to qualify for the half celestial template...

But it looks like you are only applying either the half celestial or the monster of legend templates. Not sure where the full celestial template comes from (I couldn't find it)...

So I am not sure a few of those mounts are viable...

Also, since the the war beast pricing is setting price by hit die, alone.... Should there be any additional cost multipliers for the unusual nature of the template stacked creatures to take into account the extra abilities? The impressive list that comes from the monster of legend template alone (raging blood, haste, fast heal, regeneration, breath weapon, poison attacks, cleric spells, DR 10, attribute enhancements, spell resistance, immunities.... And more!) seems like it should at least double the price of the mount beyond simple Warbeast... No?

...bugger.

Oddman80
2014-07-05, 04:02 PM
...bugger.

...Sorry

But you could just give them both, right? Or are monsters of legend not eligible for half-celestial?

CrazyYanmega
2014-07-05, 04:08 PM
...Sorry

But you could just give them both, right? Or are monsters of legend not eligible for half-celestial?

Not sure. I think they can, but it makes them too powerful, even for me.

Oddman80
2014-07-05, 05:04 PM
Not sure. I think they can, but it makes them too powerful, even for me.

Meh. so they can't fly. Make em all "of legend", rename the party the Riders of Legend, or some such thing and go munch on some bad guys.