PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Princess Ending [Spoilers, obviously]

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-25, 03:18 PM
Note: There's no spoiler tags in this topic. Doesn't make sense, given the topic's title. If you've wandered in here without beating LoZ:TP and now find I've spoiled things... It's your fault.

Now, having just beat the game, I am really, really confused by two things:

1) Ganon was a weak little sissy boy. After all those battles, all we get is a showdown on the horse and a beefed up Darknut encounter? Really? Dark Beast Ganon was the most threatening and difficult of all three forms, and he was essentially just a teleporting Goron sumo. I can't be the only one disappointed in the final boss fight (and hell, final dungeon!) of this game.

Seriously... Hyrule Castle took me maybe forty minutes. All told, the final bit probably took me an hour, including the boss fights. It was a weak end to an otherwise fantastic game. Don't get me wrong... I loved Twilight Princess quite a bit, but that was probably the lamest final dungeon and final boss in the Legend of Zelda series.

2) Midna destroying the Mirror of Twilight... Again, what the hell? It was a pointless gesture which sort of left me feeling empty inside, since they spent the entire game developing Link's relationship with Midna and then just tossed the entire thing out the window.

I could have understood things a little more if they'd make up something about how mixing Twilight and Light was bad, but there wasn't anything like that. It was just a "See you later, Link" and then she's breaking the mirror on her way out. Made no sense whatsoever. There was no moral dilemma where Link has to choose between his friend or the world, or anything like that. It's just an "I'm done with you, have fun with Zelda because you've talked to her for all of five minutes."

Grah. I'm no fanboy who needs a relationship out of every game or anything... but something resembling proper closure would have been nice.

mport2004
2007-06-19, 09:13 PM
I agree

BanjoTheClown
2007-06-19, 09:19 PM
Midna Broke The Mirror of Twilight? What the hell was she thinking?

Krytha
2007-06-19, 10:20 PM
/agree. Totally lame ending.

Setra
2007-06-19, 10:48 PM
Personally I found the Swordfight with Ganon fun, incredibly easy (the whole game is easy, but that's not the point) but fun.

I never really expect much from the Zelda games except something fun to play, to me stories weren't really their strong suit.

I suppose you could say I wasn't expecting much in the first place.

Laurellien
2007-06-20, 01:07 AM
The darknut fights are better than the Ganon fight, you ctually see results and they can't be beaten with the fishing rod.

Alex Kidd
2007-06-20, 01:56 AM
Agree the whole ending was pretty crappy.

As for Midna breaking the mirror part, Ithink that's to set up for the game's direct sequel (it's Majora's Mask), as Link is shown leaving Hyrule at the end, I think it's so he can spend the sequel on some quest to get into the Twilight Realm, becuase all the doors between Hyrule and Twilight are gone, but there lands other than Hyrule. But yes closure would be nice, and if the above sequel doesn't happen I will be righteously pissed.

The Hired Sloth
2007-06-20, 02:12 AM
Honestly, while the ending didn't sit very well with me in retrospect (loved it when I saw it, though. Pretty much what I've come to expect from LoZ games), one thing here bugs me.

I distinctly recall Ganondorf claiming he was going to "combine light and twilight to make darkness". Honestly, if that, coupled with Link turning into a wolf every time he sets foot in the Twilight Realm (... which made part of the final area a little confusing; I recall the Master Sword being used soley to get rid of the curse Zant put on Link, not ridding him of transforming into a wolf in the twilight altogether) and Midna frying up if she stays in the light without the Triforce of Wisdom... yeah.

If that doesn't prove that Light and Twilight don't mix very well, I don't know what would.

Yuki Akuma
2007-06-20, 02:26 AM
Link really should've gone on a quest to find the Moon Pearl before entering the Twilight Realm proper...

Shapechanger
2007-06-20, 01:10 PM
Agree the whole ending was pretty crappy.

As for Midna breaking the mirror part, Ithink that's to set up for the game's direct sequel (it's Majora's Mask), as Link is shown leaving Hyrule at the end, I think it's so he can spend the sequel on some quest to get into the Twilight Realm, becuase all the doors between Hyrule and Twilight are gone, but there lands other than Hyrule. But yes closure would be nice, and if the above sequel doesn't happen I will be righteously pissed.

Uh... Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time... Notice how he's a kid in the Majora's. He's an adult in Twilight Princess. His "search for a lost friend" is most likely him looking for Navi, but the plot details were never revealed and we can only speculate.

As for her breaking the Twilight Mirror, I'll never know. I think it was supposed to be a "noble sacrifice" sort of thing to keep future evils contained in the Twilight Realm, but even that doesn't make any sense considering Gannondorf's dead and Zant's powerless. It really doesn't make any sense.

Jibar
2007-06-20, 01:22 PM
Link really should've gone on a quest to find the Moon Pearl before entering the Twilight Realm proper...

*blink*
*headdesk*

You found the final boss fight a let down? I found all of them a let down. Inventine, great fun, but far too easy. Hell, I had more trouble with King Dodongo than I did Zant.

The Hired Sloth
2007-06-20, 04:38 PM
Uh... Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to Ocarina of Time... Notice how he's a kid in the Majora's. He's an adult in Twilight Princess. His "search for a lost friend" is most likely him looking for Navi, but the plot details were never revealed and we can only speculate.

I think he meant "like Majora's Mask".

XBobbis
2007-06-20, 05:35 PM
I just assumed (AKA made a vailaint effort to explain it to the people watching me beat the game) that she broke the mirror to make sure no one would try to use the power of twilight to take over the real world again.

Yeah, it's BS.

And yeah, final bosses were incredibly dissapointing.

Krytha
2007-06-20, 09:20 PM
I just assumed (AKA made a vailaint effort to explain it to the people watching me beat the game) that she broke the mirror to make sure no one would try to use the power of twilight to take over the real world again.

Yeah, it's BS.

And yeah, final bosses were incredibly dissapointing.

I think it was that she felt it was her duty (as ruler of the Twili) to protect her people from Lightworlders throwing their ganondorfs through convenient portals.

Alex Kidd
2007-06-21, 01:35 AM

I think he meant "like Majora's Mask".

Indeed, that's what I meant. I want a sequel to TP, like MM is to OoT in that it's a sequel set immediately after and starring the same Link, instead of a sequel like TP is to WW, in that it's an entirely different time and Link(Though we'll certainly get one of these later).

kpenguin
2007-06-21, 02:04 AM
Mmmmm.. the TP link meets Termina? I'd like to see a revamped Termina that is post-Majora (perhaps Link from OoT made his mark there)

Alex Kidd
2007-06-21, 04:12 AM
That wasn't what I was suggesting either. Unless my post just made you think of it.

All I mean is that TP gets a sequel which has the TP Link in it, is set after TP and continues the story and involves him trying to get into the Twilight Realm. The comparisons to MM are simply that it's a sequel with the same Link as the previous game and continues the story. Though taking some elements from MM, such as the far more alive society would be a good idea.

Jibar
2007-06-21, 07:11 AM
I think kpenguin is on to something too though.
Look, Twilight Princess is the closest you will ever get to Ocarina of Time Hyrule-wise, why not go another step and introduce an all new revamped Terminia?
And include the ability to play as Zoras again.

kpenguin
2007-06-21, 10:57 AM
And new masks! Why limit yourself to transformation to deku, goron, or zora?