PDA

View Full Version : PCGen Character Sheet Reader [Android App]

dysfunctapps
2014-06-26, 04:32 PM
Hello Giant In The Playground!

I was frustrated with the lack of PCGen support on Android devices, so decided to make my own app. The app is now available on the Play store (free and paid versions), and I'd love some people to test it out, give feedback and opinions etc! This is not an advert or attempt to get people to buy the app - I'm just looking for opinions and feedback as the testing I've been able to do with our group is rather limited.

Now works on phones and tablets!!!

Here's an imgur album of screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/2oUeM#0

Note, this app does not create your character or modify it in any way - it only reads an exported .XML file from PCGen and interprets the data into a nice, readable display format. Here is the information from the Play store:
This app is developed around my knowledge of Pathfinder, but should be compatible with most popular d20 games.
PCGen Character Sheet Lite allows you to import .xml files generated by PCGen to create dynamic character sheets for use on your Android Tablet.
If you want a character sheet app for your device but don't want to enter all the information manually onto your device, PCGen can do all the hard work of creating your character for you, and then just email it to yourself, import it into the App and make your character sheet mobile.
When you want to level up, just update your character on PCGen, email it to yourself and re-import!
Features include:
*Custom Dice rollers
*Stat Linking - allows adjustments to stats to filter through to other areas of the sheet such as Skills and Attacks
*Multiple character sheets, easily managed through tabs
*Keep track of spell casting, health, subdual damage etc...
*Campaign notes
*Interactive help
Things to note:
*Ideally the minimum screen resolution of your device should be 1280x720, and the screen size at least 7", lower res/smaller devices may display the character sheets without issues, but cannot be guaranteed.
*My D&D group play Pathfinder, so all my knowledge for Stat Linking is based around that rule set, but hopefully it will be compatible with most d20 games. If not Stat Linking can be switched off.
*There is no copyrighted content within the app, all spell descriptions etc... are taken from the .xml import, which is generated by PCGen.
*All code used to make the character sheet look familiar to PCGen users, is my own.
*CMB - the app detects whether your imported CMB Stat value is the same as your STR or DEX modifier, to determine which stat should affect it through Stat Linking (due to certain feats, whether you character size is Tiny etc...)
*Conditional Save and Combat modifiers don't appear to actually be exported in the .xml, which is why the boxes will be empty, the boxes are present however to balance out the look and feel of the character sheet, and in preparation in case the information is exported in the future (though an app update would be required to read it).
*Stat Linking does not affect damage done by bows, as the .xml does not identify Composite bows, if the name and description is custom and did not use the word "Composite" the app would have no way of knowing, so this was omitted.
*There is no ammo tracking as the .xml does not provide enough information to efficiently do this.
*Max Dex for AC does not stop the DEX component of AC from being adjusted using Stat Linking, this is due to if you have changed your armour in a session and may therefore want to ignore the Max Dex value.
*If you have you imported a problematic .xml file and the app crashes every time it loads, use the app settings in android to clear data associated with the app.
*Use the csheet_fantasy_generic_export.xml template to create your .xml file, all .xml files need to have the word PCGEN somewhere in the file name (upper/lower/mixed case is fine), and the extension must remain .xml, the app will try to read the files from default Downloads directory of your device, which is where email applications such as GMail should save files to by default.
If you have any problems with an .xml file or if you think something is wrong with how things are done, feel free to email me at [email protected] (preferably with the .xml file).
Due to the vast number of class/feat/ability/gear combinations, there may well be bugs with the app. If that's the case, please email the me directly on the above email address, or post here and I'll get back to you about it!
Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoy the app! Any feedback gratefully appreciated!
And a big thankyou to my friend for letting me use his Character Sheet as the Demo!
Here's the Play store links:

PCGen Character Sheet Lite - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dysfunctional.apps.pcgencharactersh eetlite
PCGen Character Sheet Reader - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dysfunctional.apps.pcgencharactersh eet

Just submitted update to support Andoid 4.0 - v1.01c

dysfunctapps
2014-06-30, 05:34 PM
NOW WORKS ON PHONES!!!!

Ok v1.1b has now been submitted and should show up in a few hours, I have now combined the tablet and phone version into 1 version rather than a separate one for tablets and a separate one for phones. This means if you paid for the tablet version you now have the ad free version for your phone

I have discontinued the phone version, so if you were using the lite phone version, you can now just download the other lite version, you will need to re-import character sheets though.

I can only see one purchase of the full phone version (stats do update slowly though) so hopefully this hasn't inconvenienced too many people, if it was one of you guys who bought it please give me your order number and I will look into sorting something out for you, be it a refund or trying to gift you the expanded version.

dysfunctapps
2014-07-05, 12:52 PM
Just in case anyone here is having trouble with Feats option on the Lite version, I have submitted a fix (v1.2) - this can take a few hours to appear on Google Play.

dysfunctapps
2014-07-25, 07:10 PM
v1.21
-------

*Added Dropbox support - for anyone who was having trouble getting sheets to their device!
*Added Critical Focus recognition for Pathfinder players!
*Tidied up the AC labels in portrait mode (Tablets)

Unfortunately on a small number of devices the save file would sometimes corrupt, I have tried to catch this so it will just reload the demo sheet, hopefully this is better than it just crashing!

***Unfortunately this fix will mean you need to re-import, sorry***

dysfunctapps
2014-09-01, 09:38 AM
Advice wanted:

If you were using the free Lite version, would you rather have the banner ad always displaying (not great on small screens), or would you rather have a large ad that pops up every now and then?

Sir Garanok
2014-09-01, 10:36 AM
Beautiful stuff,keep it up.

dysfunctapps
2014-09-02, 02:51 AM
Beautiful stuff,keep it up.

Thanks Sir Garanok!

dysfunctapps
2014-09-26, 06:45 PM
Looking for Beta testers of the latest version of the apps, if you are interested please join this community:

https://plus.google.com/communities/115843119435790454610

I will try to approve requests to join within 24hrs

EDIT: Apologies if you tried to join and couldn't, when I set it up it asked if I wanted to hide it from searches, I thought if a gave you the link it would be ok, I didn't realise it would make it invite only, it's been changed so you can ask to join now.