PDA

View Full Version : Player Help To hit bonus exceeds +6, does that qualify for another attack?

terran
2014-06-26, 04:54 PM
I have a 2nd level Half-Orc fighter with a 19 Str. wielding a +2 two-handed great axe. I have the feat weapon focus which adds +1 to hit and with my base attack bonus being +2 to hit and adding the +2 for the magical bonus of the axe and adding my +4 bonus for my str that brings my total bonuses up to +9. does that constitute another attack? Or is my grip on the rules all wrong? Thanks for your time to respond to my post.

gooddragon1
2014-06-26, 04:56 PM
I have a 2nd level Half-Orc fighter with a 19 Str. wielding a +2 two-handed great axe. I have the feat weapon focus which adds +1 to hit and with my base attack bonus being +2 to hit and adding the +2 for the magical bonus of the axe and adding my +4 bonus for my str that brings my total bonuses up to +9. does that constitute another attack? Or is my grip on the rules all wrong? Thanks for your time to respond to my post.

Your base attack bonus must be +6. Not your total chance to hit.

Some classes like fighter advance 1 point of base attack bonus per level. Others like rogue advance at 3 BAB per 4 levels. Some others advance at 1 point of BAB per 2 levels (wizard). Very rarely do they not advance BAB (war hulk). Generally BAB represents the combat prowess of the class. You add the BAB you gain from separate classes together to determine total BAB.

A 2nd level fighter and a 2nd level rogue will have 3 BAB. A 4th level fighter 2nd level barbarian will have 6 BAB and thus an attack with +6 from BAB and a second attack at +1 from BAB. These attacks then benefit from other things like strength or magic weapons as well.

The easiest way to see this is to look here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/fighter.htm).

See how at +6 you see +6/+1? That indicates that your BAB has reached +6. As mentioned earlier you need not have 6 levels in 1 full BAB class to get another attack. You could do so with any combination of levels that provide enough cumulative BAB to reach +6. Taking a 1 level dip in a 3/4 or 1/2 BAB class will not grant you any BAB. The next level will however.

Just in case: There's a feat called power attack that allows you to take a penalty to your attack roll to add damage and this penalty cannot exceed your BAB. This does not lower your BAB (and thus does not jeopardize extra attacks) but will apply a penalty to your chance to hit in exchange for greater damage.