PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Player Justifying Dragonscale Armor

WesleyVos
2014-06-26, 04:56 PM
I've got a new player joining a game (ECL 7). He wants a set of dragonscale armor; I told him he had to justify it with an in-setting story. I approved him having it; what I want to know is whether I should let his tale stand as the true story or whether I should require a bluff check whenever he tells it. Here is the tale:

"I was out south of Luth'ion, mucking about the swamps looking for some lost brat who had been missing a few days. As I was moving around slowly through the wet sickly waters, I got the feeling something was watching me and this foul smell was slowly getting more noticable. I started to get suspicious so slow and quite made my way down into the waters as I moved, getting myself nice and muddied up. Once I was content that I had gotten enough on me to blend in, I went to the nearest bank and pressed up against it an' waited. Time pased and just as I was about to right my feeling off as nerves was when I saw it. It was just sitting there with the top half of it's head out of the water, it's beady sunk in eyes staring right at me. It knew I was there and had been watching me the entire time. Gathering up what guts I could muster, I pushed off the bank and started towards it at a walking pace. It reared up out of the water and did the same, walking towards me as it began to hiss softly.

Now I knew a thing or two about dragons, not a lot but I think that what I did know was what saved my hide that day. Knowledge is power right? Anyways as I was walking up to the beast, I was grabbing a handful off my gold in my hand and looking for a weak spot on it. Just as I was about face to face with the beast I chucked my hand full of gold off to my left, the dragon was destracted by the glittering destraction while I was able to get a good slice into it's neck just behind the right horn. I kept running knowing that was not going to kill it, wading in the much under it until it started thrashing its tail about, making escape imposible. It didn't take too long for it to figure it could body slamb me, but the water and soft muck make for a soft padding and I was able to get out from under it without much harm and hid myself in a hollow log. I thought I was safe until it started to wedge it's head in after me.

Now this is were things start to get wierd, so I wont hold it against you if you dont believe me. As it was coming in after me I was trying to slip out the other end but the damned thing was so muddy and wet that I slipped every time I went for a handhold. That was when the beast lifted it's head, the log, and myself into the air and I slid right into the damned monster's mouth. Thinking fast I forced myself into a ball, mostly out of fear of those massive teeth it had, and partly because I wanted the beast to choke on me. I slid into it's throat and got stuck, making it start to gag and heave. I pulled out my weapons and jammed them into the things throat, not to hurt it, but to keep myself firmly in place and blocking it's air. The thing thrashed about for a good half hour before it died. I crawled out of that thing totally drained and smelling of foulness you could only imagine. And that my friends, is how I killed a Black Dragon."

His explanation on being asked about the dragon's breath weapon was that he didn't know - maybe it was injured or just looking for a quick meal. When he was in its throat, it was choking - it couldn't use its breath weapon because it couldn't breathe.

Thoughts? Should I require a bluff check?

Brookshw
2014-06-26, 05:26 PM
So that's what he wrote? I'd give him bonus xp for the good backstory. No, no bluff check.

lord_khaine
2014-06-26, 06:39 PM
I might make him roll a bluff if he wanted to get a free beer at the inn with that story, but i certainly would also let him have a nice and shiny black dragonscale armor.

Zanos
2014-06-26, 06:45 PM
That's great, I actually chuckled a bit.

Who's going to oppose the bluff check? If it actually happened to his character and he isn't lying he shouldn't need one.

Krobar
2014-06-26, 06:52 PM
That's a good story. I wouldn't require a bluff check.

RogueDM
2014-06-26, 06:53 PM
That's great, I actually chuckled a bit.

Who's going to oppose the bluff check? If it actually happened to his character and he isn't lying he shouldn't need one.

I believe OP is implying that this is what the player/character is saying happened, but not necessarily what -actually- happened. Depending on how OP and we judge the story it could be a trumped up version of the events (bluff check) or the truth of the matter (no bluff). Personally, I think that's a plenty fine story.

Alternately: Have him make the bluff check; the -real- truth is too awesome to expect anyone to believe.

WesleyVos
2014-06-26, 08:03 PM
I believe OP is implying that this is what the player/character is saying happened, but not necessarily what -actually- happened. Depending on how OP and we judge the story it could be a trumped up version of the events (bluff check) or the truth of the matter (no bluff). Personally, I think that's a plenty fine story.

Alternately: Have him make the bluff check; the -real- truth is too awesome to expect anyone to believe.

Exactly. I think the story is awesome - the question is whether this is the real version of events, or just what he tells everyone. The character's an assassin (mechanically rogue/swordsage, but fluffed assassin, using shadow-hand stuff), so for him to lie about where he got the armor wouldn't be out of character.

He definitely gets the dragonscale armor.

Alex12
2014-06-26, 09:28 PM
Even if you did make him roll a Bluff check, I'd say give him a significant circumstance bonus for that particular story (I'd say a +4 wouldn't be unreasonable, or if he doesn't have max ranks in bluff, treat him as having such for purposes of this particular lie). It's not just an off-the-cuff lie he made up then and there, it's something that he's going to have be important. I'd do the same thing with any regularly-repeated lie that's fairly integral to the character in a certain specific way.

Personally, I'd say ask the player, decide if you want it to actually have happened (it might make dragon-choking into a viable strategy in-game) and figure out how it would fit in with the rest of the world. You might even be able to wring a plotline out of it later.

NickChaisson
2014-06-26, 10:26 PM
You should probably ask him if its the true events.Personally, I would hate it if a DM just declared my back story a lie and told me how it actually happened.

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-26, 10:33 PM
I don't understand the purpose of the bluff check. Is he trying to make someone in-game believe that's where he got the armor?

Azraile
2014-06-26, 10:37 PM
Dragons are a little to smart to choke on some one and it wouldn't take an hour an a half if they did. lol

Maybe make him change it so he kicked the dragons tongue back, pushing his foot down on it hard and sliding it back into the back of it's mouth, and then cut the tongue off and pinned himself in there using his feet to keep it from coughing the tongue lose.

Forcing to choke on his own tounge/bleed out makes more sense.

Vogonjeltz
2014-06-26, 10:57 PM
Dragons are a little to smart to choke on some one and it wouldn't take an hour an a half if they did. lol

Maybe make him change it so he kicked the dragons tongue back, pushing his foot down on it hard and sliding it back into the back of it's mouth, and then cut the tongue off and pinned himself in there using his feet to keep it from coughing the tongue lose.

Forcing to choke on his own tounge/bleed out makes more sense.

Intelligence has nothing at all to do with choking on something

Azraile
2014-06-26, 10:59 PM
it has plently to do with knowing not to try and swallow something you will choke on

facelessminion
2014-06-26, 11:27 PM
Unless, ya know, you end up misjudging whether you will choke on it or not. Gygax knows people do it all the time... and while dragons are far smarter, they can always just fumble a common-sense roll.

Personally, I fail to see why there would be any questioning the story in the first place. It's a great story, and if a DM tried to make it into a bluff just because, I'd be pretty damn annoyed. Sure, it is an exceptional, one in a million circumstance, but that is the kind of thing that HAPPENS with Player Characters.

Azraile
2014-06-26, 11:42 PM
Besides.... according to the rules you would have to kill 2 to 64 dragons (depending on age and size) to get enough usable material to make a full suit of armor for a medium sized creature.

unless he was trying to say he killed an immortal 5000 or so year old black dragon that got big enough >.>

Kaeso
2014-06-27, 03:19 AM
Even if the story isn't true, that PC would make for a great charlatan. I'd roll with it.

animewatcha
2014-06-27, 03:47 AM
Why not considering this seems to have more effort put into this story versus 'just automatically killed bunch of dragons as part of leveling up'.

TheDarkDM
2014-06-27, 05:21 AM
Besides.... according to the rules you would have to kill 2 to 64 dragons (depending on age and size) to get enough usable material to make a full suit of armor for a medium sized creature.

unless he was trying to say he killed an immortal 5000 or so year old black dragon that got big enough >.>

Not sure where you're getting those numbers, but all you need for a suit of leather (hide, really, but I assume DM fiat here) is a large dragon. So, a Young Adult black dragon.

WesleyVos
2014-06-27, 09:05 AM
It was a Young Adult Black Dragon.

And the player suggested he actually soloed the dragon to get the armor. I told him to spin me the tale, and we'd put it up for the Playgrounders to decide whether it was the actual tale, an embellished tale, or whether he just found the dragon dead and made the story up. He agreed.

I think the vote is in - this is how it happened.

John Longarrow
2014-06-27, 10:16 AM
WesleyVos

I tend to be a "Rat Bastard" DM at times. That said, let him keep the armor.
Let him make the bluff check. After all, having his pack mule eaten by a dragon that then fails its save against the poison he was transporting just isn't that good a tale....

Talk to your player, see if he likes that. Its has just the touch of "Oh CRAP" that makes for a fun real tale without the improbable feel of choking a dragon to death with your body. Besides, a LARGE dragon (doesn't have anything unique to give it swallow whole) would have a very hard time getting a MEDIUM creature in its throat.