PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in the Flying Lands [Adventure Log]

Fenreed
2014-06-26, 04:59 PM
Originally I posted this as something in the "More Funny DnD Stories" thread, but I thought this campaign deserved some more telling.

This is a homebrew system, played in a setting of my creation where there are flying islands and airships powered by "floatstone".

The location: a trade ship flying from a southern port city to some location farther inland

The party:
-Noshoti, a Selai'ich (shark-man) priest
-Cecil von Groat, and angry human religious nut
-Reginald, an irritable dwarven sniper

The party spots a suspicious cloud that's moving against the wind, when suddenly their ship is assaulted by a boatload of amazonian aristocrat communist pirates (the enemies were determined by pulling names out of a hat). The ladies were decked out in an odd collection of furs and fancy dress, with pistols and grappling hooks. As one, they throw their grappling hooks to board the players' ship...and half of them miserably fail the DEX check, impact the side of the players' ship, and fall to their deaths a few thousand feet below. Those that did make it onto the ship, including the captain, roll miserably on all of their attack rolls, but still manage to take out most of the crew by throwing them overboard.

Reginald blows most of the remaining pirate women's heads off, alternating between shooting and steering the ship, while Noshoti and Cecil flop about the deck failing DEX checks to remain upright. At one point Noshoti falls face-first into the cleavage of a sky-pirate who rolls high STR to suffocate him thusly.

Meanwhile the only remaining crewman from the trade ship is a dumb-but-sweet man by the name of Dogbollock, who crits every DEX check to run to the players' aid and take over steering the ship. By this time, there are only two pirates left, one of which has sneaked below decks and planted a bomb in the hold.

The bomb goes off, sending the players' ship into a rapid descent. Noshoti is saved only by a natural 20 luck check that made one of the carpets in the hold a flying carpet and the party decide to board the pirate ship and commandeer it as their own. All three make it, along with Dogbollock and one last pirate, who promptly surrenders.

Next time: Flying Starfish of Chatterly Rock