PDA

View Full Version : Books for Pathfinder Nooblet..?

themourningstar
2014-06-26, 06:56 PM
Hi Guys! I am joining a new gaming group in a couple weeks, after a gaming hiatus of 3 years, and they are playing Pathfinder. I have never played Pathfinder, and am not familiar with it at all. I went ahead and bought the PDF for the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, and it doesn't seem significantly different, but.. Some of those minor changes might be major. The classes and races all seem slightly more powerful for one thing..

My question is, are there any specific books that I should get in order to start Pathfinder, and is there any advice yall have for a person going from 3.5 to 3.75?

Thanks in advance people!

Legato Endless
2014-06-26, 07:07 PM
There are a few good resources I can recommend before the rest sweep in with more specific suggestions:

First, by the Playground's very own fantasy author Saph, a general introduction to what has changed:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?136890-The-3-5-Pathfinder-Handbook

Second, a general class guide, with links to others. Good for suggestions, unless you're the reckless experimentation type, which I note with all admiration. The final link on the last page takes you to Zenith games, whom I believe are up to date with all posted guides.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?233029-PF-Optimization-Guides-Compendium

Finally, the Pathfinder SRD, a database for all relevant information for the game. Includes all of the various Paizo published materials, as well as third party.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com

Libertad
2014-06-26, 11:34 PM
Hi Guys! I am joining a new gaming group in a couple weeks, after a gaming hiatus of 3 years, and they are playing Pathfinder. I have never played Pathfinder, and am not familiar with it at all. I went ahead and bought the PDF for the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, and it doesn't seem significantly different, but.. Some of those minor changes might be major. The classes and races all seem slightly more powerful for one thing..

My question is, are there any specific books that I should get in order to start Pathfinder, and is there any advice yall have for a person going from 3.5 to 3.75?

Thanks in advance people!

The D20 Pathfinder SRD should provide you with all that you need, but if you prefer to access things from a book, you can't go better than the Advanced Player's Guide. When it first came out in 2010 it set the gold standard of neat options for the game and really propelled it into popularity. The base classes (alchemist, summoner, and witch in particular) are versatile, flavorfull, and cover a lot of ground.

The Pathfinder Bestiary has almost all the standard Monster Manual creatures updated to the ruleset, plus a few new ones. You need this if you plan on starting Pathfinder as a DM and not a player.

Palanan
2014-06-27, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Legato Endless
First, by the Playground's very own fantasy author Saph, a general introduction to what has changed....

Since I've just started running my first Pathfinder character, I'd like to thank Saph for all that work and careful analysis from several years ago. Still extremely useful today, and the best guide for transitioning into Pathfinder that I've come across.

Psyren
2014-06-27, 10:23 AM
I'm working on a handbook for the spell changes as this question keeps coming up.That's one of the big areas to pay close attention to as the changes tend to be significant, yet easily missed. (For instance, Astral Projection is almost word for word identical until you get to the one tiny sentence about what happens if your avatar is slain.)

themourningstar
2014-06-27, 12:44 PM
Awesome, thanks for the info guys! I have already been going over the SRD, and it is helpful. Those minor differences that I am starting to see are what worries me most tbh- I know 3.5 really well, and I know it is going to end up biting me in the rear. Again, thanks for the feed back guys!