PDA

View Full Version : DM Help How big can a campaign get?

Atnuul
2014-06-26, 07:02 PM
So in the grand scheme of things I'm a relatively new DM (been DMing for nearly 2 years now, played for about a year before that), and I'm currently still running a game that I started about 18 months ago. It started as a 2-character game consisting of a quest to find some paint to put a smiley face on the cleric's shield, but the players decided instead to wipe out a cell of slave traders in a nearby town and since then it has escalated into a massive, writhing, 7-player beast of a game that spans the entire campaign world and is rife with intrigue, war, royal assassinations, an archlich, world-aged immortal beings and the gods themselves, in the flesh. They are only, on average, 9th level (I, unfortunately, have been a bit stingy with XP in the past and as a result the characters have very nearly been wiped out only to be saved by the blindest of blind luck), but as for the gods, they're more of the non-interventionist type, and they also reside on the Material Plane making contacting and/or visiting them really not as far-fetched for 9th level characters as it sounds.

My question is, does this seem too big for a campaign run by such a (relatively) inexperienced DM? I've asked players individually what their opinion of the story is and they say it's the best they've heard in a tabletop RPG, but I can never tell if they're sincere or if they're just telling me that, and at times I worry I've bitten off a little more than I can chew.

Any advice would be appreciated.:smallsmile:

Rebel7284
2014-06-26, 07:14 PM
Trust your players. You have discovered a talent for storytelling.

Techwarrior
2014-06-26, 08:04 PM
So in the grand scheme of things I'm a relatively new DM (been DMing for nearly 2 years now, played for about a year before that), and I'm currently still running a game that I started about 18 months ago. It started as a 2-character game consisting of a quest to find some paint to put a smiley face on the cleric's shield, but the players decided instead to wipe out a cell of slave traders in a nearby town and since then it has escalated into a massive, writhing, 7-player beast of a game that spans the entire campaign world and is rife with intrigue, war, royal assassinations, an archlich, world-aged immortal beings and the gods themselves, in the flesh. They are only, on average, 9th level (I, unfortunately, have been a bit stingy with XP in the past and as a result the characters have very nearly been wiped out only to be saved by the blindest of blind luck), but as for the gods, they're more of the non-interventionist type, and they also reside on the Material Plane making contacting and/or visiting them really not as far-fetched for 9th level characters as it sounds.

My question is, does this seem too big for a campaign run by such a (relatively) inexperienced DM? I've asked players individually what their opinion of the story is and they say it's the best they've heard in a tabletop RPG, but I can never tell if they're sincere or if they're just telling me that, and at times I worry I've bitten off a little more than I can chew.

These are all things that suggest a good, healthy game run by a good GM and played with good PC's.

Gabrosin
2014-06-26, 08:08 PM
The main issue with increasing campaign size is that players get impatient waiting for their turns to act, and the DM has to manage more and more opposition to provide an appropriate challenge. It can also be difficult to ensure decent party balance, so stronger characters don't outshine the weaker ones. But if everyone at your table is having fun, then roll with it. If things become problematic, you can ask if one of the players is interested in giving up their character to become an assistant DM. Having someone to run important monsters in combat with their own volition, or get into the character of a particular NPC, can be a real boon to your campaign's success.

talonhawk01
2014-06-29, 04:19 PM
Well...you've won. Congratulations, you've won D&D (or whatever system you're using)!

Bullet06320
2014-06-29, 09:35 PM
it appears your are doing something right, so roll with it

and to answer your question
how big is your imagination?, that's how big it can get

Vhaidara
2014-06-29, 09:54 PM
What that guy ^ said. I've seen campaigns that stayed in the small towns, and I've heard of level 60+ monstrosities that involve battle royales with entire pantheons of gods.

You, sir, have an 18-month campaign that has acquired players organically. That makes for such a fantastic win that I wish you'd been here 18 months ago so I could tell you to write a campaign journal for it.

Atnuul
2014-06-29, 10:17 PM
I do have synopses, so there could, in theory, be a retroactive campaign journal. The only thing is that up to about a year ago, some details might be missing.

Captnq
2014-06-29, 10:28 PM
I have been running forgotten realms for... 8 years. This last campaign has lasted... I want to say 3 1/2 years. They are pushing level 35. I run every week, 50 weeks a year. I have campaign notes reaching back even further then that. So... the answer is...

Big.

Vhaidara
2014-06-29, 10:39 PM
Well, it was Forgotten Realms, where the rats have 2 levels of Archmage. :smalltongue:

Yahzi
2014-06-30, 05:39 AM
Yes, your game is too big. You must immediately kick out one of your players to MAKE ROOM FOR ME!
:smallsmile:
Seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it; and when it does break, it was just a game. Start a new one.

Trasilor
2014-06-30, 10:31 AM

Basic Advice:
Have Fun

Congratulations on running a successful game! Everyone is having fun!
Don't worry about level - the players are exactly the level they need to be.

I don't think there is much in the way of advice you need.

In fact, perhaps you could share some of the things you learned to have such a successful game.

Nibbens
2014-06-30, 02:57 PM
I have been running forgotten realms for... 8 years. This last campaign has lasted... I want to say 3 1/2 years. They are pushing level 35. I run every week, 50 weeks a year. I have campaign notes reaching back even further then that. So... the answer is...

Big.

Ah, I remember when I had the time to do this. Now, all these pesky jobs and children and families and just life keeps getting in the way. I wish my life would make room for my other life. lol.

To OP, keep doing what you're doing - who cares how big it gets. Your players keep coming back and that's all that matters.

Oko and Qailee
2014-06-30, 03:20 PM
a quest to find some paint to put a smiley face on the cleric's shield

These are all things that suggest a good, healthy game run by a good GM and played with good PC's.

You bolded the wrong thing. See above quote for most important detail.

That being said, I would take your players word for it. It sounds like a funny campaign that then traveled to epic proportions. Being an inexperienced DM only means you're slightly slower to look up the rules, but it rarely means you don't tell a good story or have a good idea of player freedoms.

Eaglejarl
2014-06-30, 04:14 PM
Sounds to me like you're doing it right. Shoot, I wish *I* was in that game! It must be a blast.

Harlot
2014-06-30, 04:53 PM
I just wonder if the reason you're asking this isn't the answer itself:
If you need to ask if this beast of a campaign is becoming too large, maybe it is.

However, if you feel confident managing the campaign, you're probably doing allright.

Questioning the players honesty when you ask ask them a straight question is just odd - except maybe if all of your players are clichéed 14-year-old teenage brats. In that case they could be lying just to make sure you are stil BFFs after the game.