PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Disciple Fix Viability: Is it OP or Not?

Auramis
2014-06-26, 08:04 PM
Hey everyone! One of the players in my 2 man campaign expressed interest in Dragon Disciple from a Stalwart Battle Sorcerer. I love the PrC, but our group mutually agrees that the bonus spell perk it has is... well, crappy.

One of my players suggested allowing +1 to your spontaneous arcane casting class every level that it grants bonus spells. It sounds straight forward enough. What do you all think? With the Dragon Disciples tanky benefits and other perks, is allowing that much casting alright? We all agree full casting would be a bit much, but I also ponder if every other level casting is alright.

Spore
2014-06-26, 08:18 PM
This has been done in PF and the class is still a downgrade from a fullcaster. So your fix is fine.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-26, 08:40 PM
In a game with little caster cheese, yeah I could definitely see that work, but it might make the additional spell slots redundant.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-26, 08:55 PM
Yeah, that's fine. I'd even even let it have full casting except... 5th and 10th? It'd be a decent gish class then, probably going Sorcerer 5/Dragon Disciple 10/Abjurant Champion 5.

One Step Two
2014-06-26, 09:10 PM
I make it a 7/10 PrC in my games, along with the Arcane Archer. They've never been terribly OP in play. And to be fair, when it comes to dragon disciple, From a sorcerer perspective you lose access to 9th level spells, but D12 Hit dice, and actual class features tend to be pretty damned cool. As for Bards, you lose as much as you gain. Outside of core, no-ones really used it with other base classes in my groups, so I cannot personally vouch for it in those cases.

Faily
2014-06-26, 09:16 PM
More or less just adopt the Pathfinder one. :smallbiggrin:

Auramis
2014-06-26, 09:24 PM
In a game with little caster cheese, yeah I could definitely see that work, but it might make the additional spell slots redundant.

Oh, no no. We don't add bonus spells with with the caster level increases. They're a replacement.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-26, 09:29 PM
Ah yes, that'd be a great fix then.