PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Becoming a Lich/Demilich/Equivalent of Archlich?

TachyonBlade
2014-06-26, 10:09 PM
Now, totally unrelated to ANY campaign I'm playing on here, I swear, how would I go about trying to become a Lich? Then going on to become a Demilich would be a nice added bonus.

Even better would be if you could tell me of the PF equivalent of the Archlich, and how to become one of those, if they exist, because I cannot find any thing on them...

Yanisa
2014-06-26, 11:02 PM
Well the rules for becoming a lich are debilitate vague but it includes evil rituals, years of searching, adventures and spending a lot of money, ultimality it depends on your dm.

Demiliches do have a nice excerpt describing how to become one, but it will take centuries of couch slouching. Demiliches are basically born from liches that refuse to do anything and just wither away. (I you want to become a demilich... well I advise being lucky and become an awakened demilich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/demilich/demilich-awakened), which is a demilich with full spellcasting. Although no rules how to become one beyond being an rare expectational lucky bored lich.)

As for arch/good-liches, I couldn't find any in pathfinder but in most versions the creation and stats are the same as an evil/normal lich, except the future lich searches for good alternative to the normal evil rituals of becoming a lich..

In the end the DM is mostly the decider in how you become a Lich, and you cant really become a demilich on purpose. Doesn't stop someone from posting large amounts of text on how to become one. Here are the full text on becoming a:

Lich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/lich)

The quest to become a lich is a lengthy one. While construction of the magical phylactery to contain the spellcaster's soul is a critical component, a prospective lich must also learn the secrets of transferring his soul into the receptacle and of preparing his body for the transformation into undeath, neither of which are simple tasks. Further complicating the ritual is the fact that no two bodies or souls are exactly alike—a ritual that works for one spellcaster might simply kill another or drive him insane. The exact methods for each spellcaster's transformation are left to the GM's discretion, but should involve expenditures of hundreds of thousands of gold pieces, numerous deadly adventures, and a large number of difficult skill checks over the course of months, years, or decades.

Each lich must create its own phylactery by using the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.

Demilich (www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/demilich)

Most demiliches achieved their state through apathy, not volition. For each decade that a demilich fails to stir itself to meaningful action, there is a 1% cumulative chance that its corporeal body decays into dust, save for the skull. Any return to activity resets the chance of transformation to 0%. Once the lich's body decays, the lich's intellect returns to its phylactery as normal. However, the skull rejects the return of the lich's consciousness, keeping the lich trapped in its deteriorating phylactery for 1d10 years. If during that time the lich's remains are destroyed or scattered (for example, by wandering adventurers), the lich's phylactery forms a new body and the intellect leaves the phylactery as normal, returning the lich to life. But if the lich's remains survive unperturbed, the phylactery's magic fails catastrophically, releasing the lich's soul and causing 5d10 points of damage to the phylactery. Regardless of whether or not the phylactery physically survives, the energies released by its failure channel into the lifeless skull of the lich, allowing the last remnants of the lich's soul to transform it into a demilich. The lich's soul itself either is utterly destroyed, reaches its final reward or punishment, or is condemned to wander the edges of the multiverse forever.

For wandering liches, the process is similar, but based on the number of decades the lich spends without its intellect returning to its body. While the lich's body still decays, its mind remains at large, only becoming trapped in the phylactery if the lich tries to return during the period in which its body has failed, but it has not yet become a demilich. Should the lich's phylactery fail before the wandering lich returns, the skull becomes a demilich, and the lich's mind is doomed to wander until the end of days.

Awakened Demilich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/demilich/demilich-awakened)

Under exceptional conditions, a lich's full consciousness survives its transformation into a demilich, or a lich's wandering intellect manages to return to its jeweled skull.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-27, 07:19 AM
I've always wanted to make an insane CE chaos mage that went Lich (which drives you insane at least by 4e fluff) and it causes him to become sane.

Yeah so insane that he became sane.

After this injection of sanity, the Lich becomes LG in order to right all the wrongs he caused. He doesn't have anyone that wants to resserect him, mostly due to his past actions so offing himself and having someone paid to resserect him may not work...

Yes I know there are good liches in 3.5 (maybe in pathfinder) but I like the "if you are sane, you turn crazy! If you were crazy then you turn sane!" bit.

Brookshw
2014-06-27, 07:42 AM
The good lich is in the libris mortis under lich variants. There are no specifics regarding the transformation so its "ask your dm". FR also has the baernlorn (possibly misspelled), the elven good lich. Generally speaking either is focused on protecting something.

Starmage21
2014-06-27, 08:33 AM
Well the rules for becoming a lich are debilitate vague but it includes evil rituals, years of searching, adventures and spending a lot of money, ultimality it depends on your dm.

Demiliches do have a nice excerpt describing how to become one, but it will take centuries of couch slouching. Demiliches are basically born from liches that refuse to do anything and just wither away. (I you want to become a demilich... well I advise being lucky and become an awakened demilich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/demilich/demilich-awakened), which is a demilich with full spellcasting. Although no rules how to become one beyond being an rare expectational lucky bored lich.)

As for arch/good-liches, I couldn't find any in pathfinder but in most versions the creation and stats are the same as an evil/normal lich, except the future lich searches for good alternative to the normal evil rituals of becoming a lich..

In the end the DM is mostly the decider in how you become a Lich, and you cant really become a demilich on purpose. Doesn't stop someone from posting large amounts of text on how to become one. Here are the full text on becoming a:

Lich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/lich)

Demilich (www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/demilich)

Awakened Demilich (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/demilich/demilich-awakened)

That fluff for the demilich is freaking horrible! :D

The demilich in D&D used to be the soulless body of a lich that had spent forever traversing the planes using spells that leave your body behind like Astral Projection. He wasnt much harder to beat than a standard lich.

Then 3e comes along, and a demilich is an advanced form of lich that has learned the secret of Soul Gems.

And now THAT? EWWW I'm offended! :D