PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Your favorite fighter item?

TheCorsairMalac
2014-06-27, 12:20 AM
The title says it all! Regardless of usefulness, cheesiness, level or affordability, what is your single favorite item for a melee character? You only get to choose one item, so choose carefully! (D&D 3.5)

Personally, I'm fascinated with using lots of combat maneuvers, so I choose a custom-made 'Ring of Enlarge Person'. Perks include:

10 foot reach. (20 with a whip! 8D)
+4 size bonus on maneuvers and intimidate.
+2 Strength.
Large size weapon dice. (3d6 greataxe!)
Ability to wrestle huge (The size category.) monsters.
Only 4000gp for an 'at will' enchantment. (Assuming DM approval.)

Though it does come at the cost of -2 AC, -1AB, and potential difficulties in tight spaces.

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-27, 01:03 AM
Shapesand Carriage. 600lbs of shapesand which can then be used to make mechanus gear, a duom, and an assortment of masterwork tools, rope, poles, etc. They'll be more than enough for a cart, chests and locks for transporting all the gear.

Arparrabiosa
2014-06-27, 01:03 AM
Compare your custom item to the Ring of Growth from Savage Species:

Ring of Growth:This ring allows the wearer to speak a
command word and instantly grow in size, doubling its
height and multiplying its weight by 8. This growth increases
the creature’s size category by one, which grants it a +4 size
bonus to Strength, a –2 penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum
of 1), and a –1 penalty on attack rolls and AC. The growth
may also increase the wearer’s natural reach and face (see
Table 8–7 in the Player’s Handbook). The ring can be employed
once per day, and the effect lasts for 9 minutes (or less, if the
wearer desires). The ring does not change the wearer’s speed.
If insufficient room is available for the desired growth,
the wearer attains the maximum possible size and may
make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to
burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it—the
ring cannot be used to crush a creature by growth.
All equipment worn or carried by the wearer is affected
by the ring. A melee weapon enlarged by one size category
deals more damage (as shown on Table 5–1). Magical properties of items are not affected by the growth. Any enlarged
item that leaves the enlarged creature’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its
normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their
normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size
of the weapon that fired them).
Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.
Caster Level:9th;Prerequisites:Forge Ring, animal growth;
Market Price:18,000 gp.

Emphasis mine.

So yeah, your custom item is a really bad idea.

andromax
2014-06-27, 01:10 AM
Depends on the build, but I generally end up with atleast a set of Steadfast Boots(always set vs charge and x2 with any weapon), Heart Seeking Amulet (touch attacks) or Strong Arm Bracers.

Thiyr
2014-06-27, 01:23 AM

Emphasis mine.

Compare the Ring of Growth with the Belt of Growth, in the Magic Item Compendium:

*I don't have any way to copy-paste the rules text, but instead of spelling out what it does, it just refers you to enlarge person. It lasts for 10 minutes, same action to activate, but costs 3000gp*

So yea, Savage Species' ring is a really bad idea.

That said, rather than just leaving it at a vaguely snarky pointing out that it isn't quite so bad, I'd say I'd rather just have the belt of growth be a standard action activation, and you get 10 minutes of enlarge, split up through the day as you see fit, minimum 1 minute intervals. Lot more versatile, given that rarely do I find the need for 10 straight minutes of largeness, even if that's about right during the course of the day.

As far as items I like for martially-oriented characters (I hate using melee as a descriptor, makes me feel like i'm cutting out the archers/throwers of the world. They need love too!)? Depends on the build i'm going with. I'm fond of the Torc of Titans if I'm doing a dungeoncrasher, or anyone big on combat maneuvers. that +5 morale to strength checks and melee weapon damage rolls for a round 3/day is nice, especially at the extra-affordable 3.3k.

But I think my favorite goes to the Aptitude weapon property. I know, I know, "but lightning maces abuses! not intended purpose! Kittens cry when you abuse that property!" But I find it to be such a...liberating option. And something my current DM agreed with me on because I'm not being super abusive with it, it never defines what it means by -type of weapon-. Have a high dex and want dex to damage? Shadow blade has you covered, now without weapon tax! Want wisdom to your attack rolls? Intuitive attack needs to be used with simple weapons....well, simple/martial/exotic are specific -types- of weapons, so aptitude's got your back. What if you just want to finesse your greatclub? Light/one handed/two handed are specific types of weapons, aptitude to the rescue! Need point blank shot but still big on stabbing things? ranged/melee weapons are specific types of weapons, so thank aptitude when that +1 helps you jam your dagger in the inevitable's cog-sphincter. And that's before getting to all those kinda-narrow-but-could-be-cool weapon style feats that don't involve lightning maces abuse! So much fun unlocked by such a simple property, and with even one intended feat, it even gives you the normal +1 to attack and damage that a vanilla enhancement bonus would! Opens up cool moments. And I'll be honest, my boomerang daze archer just wouldn't function without it.

Arparrabiosa
2014-06-27, 01:27 AM
That said, rather than just leaving it at a vaguely snarky pointing out that it isn't quite so bad

I think you missed my point. I was against the "continual effect" part. I don't think Enlarge person as continuous effect or at-will command is a good idea. Specially with that price.

But to each his own. If you like that kind of items, I'll take a continuous CLW ring, please. :smallbiggrin:

So yea, Savage Species' ring is a really bad idea.

It is not that bad, enlarge person only works on humanoids. That ring is designed with monsters in mind.

Xerlith
2014-06-27, 03:13 AM
I think you missed my point. I was against the "continual effect" part. I don't think Enlarge person as continuous effect or at-will command is a good idea. Specially with that price.
Well, a 1st level cleric can DMM Persist it at a cost of two feats.

But to each his own. If you like that kind of items, I'll take a continuous CLW ring, please. :smallbiggrin:
Wand of Lesser Vigor? 750gp for 500hp. Straight up from the rules.

It is not that bad, enlarge person only works on humanoids. That ring is designed with monsters in mind.

Savage Species is an awful book in terms of balance. Most of the stuff there is either under- or overpowered. I think that use-activated Enlarge Person would be quite nice. Saves the party Cleric a 1st level spell slot.

Arparrabiosa
2014-06-27, 05:27 AM
Well, a 1st level cleric can DMM Persist it at a cost of two feats.

And it wouldn't worth it :smallwink:

Wand of Lesser Vigor? 750gp for 500hp. Straight up from the rules.
I still preffer healing 1d8+1 each round without using any actions or needing UMD or having lesser vigor in my spell list. Thank you anyway.

Azoth
2014-06-27, 06:34 AM
On certain builds I like using Lethe's Lash as a weapon. Better if my DM let's me extrapolate the cost of the enchantment to just be a flat +20k cost. Something about wielding a weapon that rips off a spell per hit from an enemy spellcaster seems so fun to me.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-27, 07:24 AM
Living Monolith 1 gets you enlarge person 3/day (CL = ECL I think) as a swift action. *

Screw those items :p

Heart Seeking Amulet, I need to look that up. Not sure if I heard of it before.

Edit: I keep forgetting that not everyone runs 3.P haha. I keep seeing 3.5 and thinking 3.P (3.5 + Pathfinder)

Killer Angel
2014-06-27, 07:46 AM
The title says it all! Regardless of usefulness, cheesiness, level or affordability, what is your single favorite item for a melee character? You only get to choose one item, so choose carefully! (D&D 3.5)

That depends a lot on how much you can count on your companions for buffs. Without prior knowkledge, my pick would be the Boots of Flying.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-06-27, 08:42 AM

In response:

The title says it all! Regardless of usefulness, cheesiness, level or affordability, what is your single favorite item for a melee character?

Arparrabiosa
2014-06-27, 09:16 AM
Ok.

Ring of True Strike.

Thiyr
2014-06-27, 09:18 AM

Hence why I'm disappointed I couldn't quote the full text. Belt just says you grow, and then parenthetically says "as if effected by enlarge person", so it should work regardless of race. And I figure Malac's version is still 1045gp and an item slot more than a permanencied enlarge person as bought from a random spellcaster, which for such a low-level effect, I'd say is an okay difference.

And have your continuous CLW ring. Now that 1d8+1 only lasts so long as you're wearing it, good luck with -that- rules headache :smalltongue:

(Overall, my point is both that the Savage Cheezies version of the item is grossly overpriced given the effect, which might lead to an inflated view of the value of the effect. The MIC version is similar but has a cost more comprable to the custom item, but notably cheaper given the prices and effects involved, meaning its not -terribly- nutty to allow something like that. Personally, I'm just hesitant to allow custom items at all unless its a specific idea and there's no real alternative, tbh. Seen a few too many people saying "hey, continuous item of Shield!" (without remembering that AC bonuses cost more than just straight spell replication) or "continuous item of expeditious retreat!", or even (jokingly) "Hey, trapsmith gets haste as a first level spell...." I took part in it for a while, but by this point, it just feels...well, too easy.)

EDIT: Oh, and that ring of true strike? I'm all down with that! just don't forget, the relevant part is that an -enhancement- bonus to attack is 2k*bonus squared. That'll be minimum (ED: missed a zero, oops!) 800,000gp, please. Possible 100% markup due to odd bonus type. Unless you've got a generous DM (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050118a) :smalltongue:

Ferronach
2014-06-27, 02:44 PM
Bottle of air and Ring of featherfalling.... never leave "home" without them.
Cheap, light, useless outside of the situations where you wish that you had packed them

Vizzerdrix
2014-06-27, 03:02 PM
Shapesand, the 100g class feature.

Vorandril
2014-06-27, 04:06 PM
I'm a fan of my Longbow of Justice (Or Injustice, depending on alignment).
Casts Web, Hold Person or Monster by command word.

Then there's Behaudiel.

Behaudiel, Talon of the Mind Weaver

This +1 Halberd has the CurseSpewing property, causing a curse on those struck by the weapon which incurs a -4 morale penalty on Attacks, Saves, Skills, and Ability Checks if they fail a DC 15 Will Save. The Halberd also confers to its wielder a +2 enhancement to their Wisdom score as long as the weapon is in their possession. Finally, the weapon is intelligent, possessing Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12. It can see and hear within 30 feet, and make communicate empathically with the wielder. It is Neutral Evil, with an Ego score of 4. Behaudiel venerates the one whom it was created to serve, Val'Khiss, and will do all it can to promote his ascent to divinity. While Behaudiel knows it is not the most powerful of magical items, it is determined to one day be permitted to make a Wish in an attempt to ascend with its master by becoming an artifact. Finally, this weapon bears curses that it inflicts upon any who so much as touch the Halberd. Any day that Behaudiel is in possession of a sentient being (Even for a single round), they must make a DC 18 Will Save or become Neutral Evil at the next dusk, and swear fealty to Val'Kiss as a deity (Only a worshiper, not necessarily a cohort or follower). Additionally, 24 hours after having first touched Behaudiel the touch-ee must make a DC 18 Fortitude save, see the following table for results. Finally, the weapon's haft and blade are always 10 to 15 degrees (Fahrenheit) colder than the air around it; a cold mist rolls off the blade in moderate to heavy humidity.

This Halberd appears to be made of a matte black metal that never reflects light. Whenever the blade moves a faint wispy blur is visible behind it always, allowing someone to see where the blade has moved in the last second and giving it an eerie appearance, as though it were made of Shadowstuff instead of solid metal.

--------------------------------------
Purposely Failed Fortitude Save
Take 2D8+4 Damage.
Behaudiel chastises the character, ridiculing them on submitting to another so easily. The tattoo will not appear for the character until they receive an atonement spell. It will then manifest over the next 6 rounds.

Attempted, but Failed Fortitude Save
Take 1D8+2 Damage.
A tattoo slowly appears on the character’ back over the next 3 rounds and drawing out the symbol of Val’Kiss

Attempted, and Succeeded on the Fortitude Save
The mark of Val’Kiss appears on the character over the next 3 rounds, but fades after 24 hours unless the character wills the tattoo to stay.

OldTrees1
2014-06-27, 04:35 PM
Dimension Stride Boots

SirKillalot
2014-06-27, 04:47 PM
Belt of Battle

Has 3 charges/day
- Expend 1 charge for an extra move action in a round
- Expend 2 charges for an extra standard action in a round
- Expend 3 charges to get an extra full-round action in a round

See me swinging my 2x4=8 Improved Two-Weapon Fighting attacks in 1 round. That way you only need 1 round of combat :smallwink:

draken50
2014-06-27, 04:57 PM
... Mine is a house-ruled magical item.

A wooden spoon created by a philanthropic Mage known for creating magical items for use by the homeless/destitute. 3 times the day the spoon may be placed into a container of some kind which it will fill with stew. The taste/quality of said stew was inversely proportioned to the quality of the container. Placing the spoon in a silver bowl, would create a nourishing but disgusting stew. While placing it in a rotting boot would create some of the best stew one could ever hope to taste.

As a side effect the spoon also prevents the detect thoughts spell from working on the owner of the spoon, causing the caster to hear the lyrics of Audioslave's "Spoonman" rather than any of their actual thoughts.

I suppose it's not really a fighter weapon, but it was in the hands of a retired fighter driven mad in his last adventure who would beat those who threatened himself or other homeless.

Cikomyr
2014-06-27, 05:00 PM
Hat of Disguise

Nothing more interesting than messing with the Orcs, Goblins, Guards, etc... than taking their shape and uniform, and messing with their head.

But then, Hat of Disguise is also my favourite Rogue item. And Bard Item. And Warlock Item...

StreamOfTheSky
2014-06-27, 06:46 PM
I don't think it exists, but I've always wished it did... an item that let you flatly IGNORE the size limits on combat maneuvers (like only being able to trip/grapple/etc... up to one size larger). If you have the bonuses to overcome the massive amount of size bonuses and likely high Str of a colossal monster....why is it so wrong to let the martial try to judo throw the Tarrasque?

Another item that....doesn't exist, but I made custom myself was "Hands of the Taiko" -- it basically is a pair of gloves priced at 1.5x the normal cost of a weapon enhancement (3000 gp for a +1, for example) that imparts the enhancement to whatever masterwork weapon is currently being wielded (I limited it to not apply to TWF and such, but in retrospect...it wouldn't be broken), allowing the warrior to just start swinging any well-made weapon he has/finds w/o having to worry about it not being enhanced to +5 like his main weapon. As it was written, the gloves' enhancement overlapped (did not stack) w/ any magical properties of the weapon. You had to choose which set of enhancements to use.
Combined with Warblade's ability to re-assign weapon-based feats...man that was fun.

Regissoma
2014-06-27, 07:17 PM
Quill's Feather Token (tree)

Vorandril
2014-06-27, 08:16 PM
Quill's Feather Token (tree)

You win. *Flips table and walks off to get eaten by a tree*

Though I'm curious... There an item that does this?

http://nebezial.deviantart.com/art/it-is-gonna-be-somewhat-cool-XD-421244033

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-28, 12:06 AM
I don't think it exists, but I've always wished it did... an item that let you flatly IGNORE the size limits on combat maneuvers (like only being able to trip/grapple/etc... up to one size larger). If you have the bonuses to overcome the massive amount of size bonuses and likely high Str of a colossal monster....why is it so wrong to let the martial try to judo throw the Tarrasque?

Another item that....doesn't exist, but I made custom myself was "Hands of the Taiko" -- it basically is a pair of gloves priced at 1.5x the normal cost of a weapon enhancement (3000 gp for a +1, for example) that imparts the enhancement to whatever masterwork weapon is currently being wielded (I limited it to not apply to TWF and such, but in retrospect...it wouldn't be broken), allowing the warrior to just start swinging any well-made weapon he has/finds w/o having to worry about it not being enhanced to +5 like his main weapon. As it was written, the gloves' enhancement overlapped (did not stack) w/ any magical properties of the weapon. You had to choose which set of enhancements to use.
Combined with Warblade's ability to re-assign weapon-based feats...man that was fun.

I never understood why a Halfling's Strength 18 didn't matter as much a Ogre's Strength 18. They should be equal, but they are not.

I just got rid of size bonuses/penalty to maneuvers and gave non casters the weapon damage die increase as if they were larger sizes.

With these rules and a couple others a Halfling monk judo flipped a colossal red dragon... Twas epic.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-06-28, 02:23 AM
I don't mind the size modifiers, massive as they are. There is more to throwing your (or someone else's) weight around than just sheer strength. I just really hate that a "puny wittle human" ...who happened to go and train and take a literal 20 levels in badass to get comparably insanely high combat maneuver / str check modifiers.... isn't allowed to even TRY to suplex or throw or push back the big monsters. There's no auto-succeed/fail on a 1 or 20 to allow for "what about a really lucky level 1 commoner?" scenarios, so they only way you're going to win is if you're actually legitimately really good at the combat maneuver. Seriously, what's the harm?