PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Optimization

Vhaidara
2014-06-27, 09:17 AM
Simply put, I want to wield halflings. I want to use one as a shield and the other as a melee weapon. Yes, they can also be decked out in their own gear. And they are still alive, I'm not touching an icky halfling corpse.

Playground, commence

WeaselGuy
2014-06-27, 09:19 AM
Hulking Hurler with exotic weapon proficiency (halfling)?

dextercorvia
2014-06-27, 09:24 AM
So long as you are medium, halflings grant soft cover -- that is a +4 to AC that stacks with other benefits. So, if you strap one to your shield you get your shield bonus and a cover bonus.

Forrestfire
2014-06-27, 09:26 AM
They'd be improvised weapons, but it could work. Drunken Master grants proficiency in them, or a nice DM might let you use EWP.

Another option is to have them both take levels in Fiend of Possession and Shaman King it up, but I'm not sure that counts.

sideswipe
2014-06-27, 09:33 AM
minor image+ persist or permanency. use an intelligant sword to emulate halfling sounds

Telonius
2014-06-27, 10:49 AM
If you could somehow get proficiency in them, you could go Kensai.

I'd be a bit careful with Drunken Master, though: "When a drunken master rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless."

I'd say you could double-wield Halfling-shields. Make each of them an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.

Personal: This warding is a sphere whose diameter is equal to an initiate's space (5 feet for Small or Medium creatures, 10 feet for Large, and so on) and encapsulates the initiate. It moves with her, but she cannot force another creature to pass through it (for example, by attempting to grapple an enemy). If she does force a creature to pass through, the warding has no effect on that creature. Any creature striking at her with a melee weapon or natural attack is subject to the veil's effect (although creatures using reach weapons are not). The warding provides concealment to the initiate, but she can see out with no hindrance. It lasts for 1 minute per level or until dismissed.

So, the routine would be, raise veil, grapple the wielder (and lose); wielder is not affected, but the veil is still up. Wielder then uses the halfling as a shield bash weapon. (Note that here, the Initiate is not the one forcing another creature to pass through the warding, the wielder is).

Vhaidara
2014-06-27, 10:54 AM
Hulking Hurler with exotic weapon proficiency (halfling)?

Sorry, going for melee. I'm aware of the throwing halflings, but I want to beat people with halflings.

So long as you are medium, halflings grant soft cover -- that is a +4 to AC that stacks with other benefits. So, if you strap one to your shield you get your shield bonus and a cover bonus.

Excellent!

They'd be improvised weapons, but it could work. Drunken Master grants proficiency in them, or a nice DM might let you use EWP.

Another option is to have them both take levels in Fiend of Possession and Shaman King it up, but I'm not sure that counts.

Are halflings really that exotic though?

Shaman King? Color me curious. Please explain.

minor image+ persist or permanency. use an intelligant sword to emulate halfling sounds

Except I want real halflings, not fake halflings

If you could somehow get proficiency in them, you could go Kensai.

I'd be a bit careful with Drunken Master, though: "When a drunken master rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll while using an improvised weapon, that weapon breaks apart and becomes useless."

I'd say you could double-wield Halfling-shields. Make each of them an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil.

So, the routine would be, raise veil, grapple the wielder (and lose); wielder is not affected, but the veil is still up. Wielder then uses the halfling as a shield bash weapon. (Note that here, the Initiate is not the one forcing another creature to pass through the warding, the wielder is).

I am in high favor of this. The only problem I see is the level it comes online at is fairly late.

Raimun
2014-06-27, 11:02 AM
You should use spell casting halflings. Perhaps using a divine caster as a shield and arcane caster as a sword.

Better make them durable, though.

manyslayer
2014-06-27, 11:39 AM
Have them be casters with cooperative spell casting. When you want them to cast a spell, slam them together in front of you shouting anime style and point them at the target. Hairfoot Lightning Attack Go!

Forrestfire
2014-06-27, 11:52 AM
Are halflings really that exotic though?

Shaman King? Color me curious. Please explain.

Fiend of Possession has an ability that lets them possess objects and give them weapon enhancements, up to a total of +6 (one per class level). Not ghosts, but close enough for the flavor.

Magesmiley
2014-06-27, 11:56 AM
Hmmm. While not strictly in the original request, the Fling Ally (Races of Stone, if I recall) feat would suffice for providing you with a thrown weapon.