PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Escape from Grapple/Pin

Barstro
2014-06-27, 10:21 AM
I'm playing a Witch that has had the mildly inconvenient misfortune of being grappled twice. After the first time, she considered getting Boots of Escape (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/boots-of-escape), but was sidetracked by other things. This second grapple was by a Black Tentacle that was too strong to cast through (probably due to misreading the rules, but whatever).

Question; What is the best (economical) option to escape grapples? Freedom of Movement Ring might be a bit expensive right now. Assuming it is Boots, are they a Standard Action, or an Immediate Action? I'm capable of reading it both ways.:smallfrown:

Kazudo
2014-06-27, 10:36 AM
It says "As Dimension Door", which takes up a Standard Action. Really, I think that it would be the same way.

Barstro
2014-06-27, 12:05 PM
It says "As Dimension Door", which takes up a Standard Action. Really, I think that it would be the same way.

Well, to nitpick;

when the wearer of the boots is grappled, pinned, or entangled, she may transfer herself to any spot within 30 feet as if using a dimension door spell
She would be grappled, pinned, or entangled on someone else's turn. Can she use it then as an immediate free action?
"as if using a dimension door spell", but Dimension Door has a range of 400+ (yes, yes, gnomes), and allows for additional people. Not so for the boots.

If I have the math correct;
Boots of Dimension Door
Level 4
Caster 7
Spell Completion 2,000
Once per day 1/5
(4)(7)(2,000)(1/5)= 11,200. So the wearer of Boots of Escape, instead, is saving 3,200 gp by being nerfed range of 30 ft instead of 680 ft. (400 + (40)(7)), and they can be used ONLY when grappled, pinned, or entangled?

Meanwhile, Boots of Teleportation are "correctly" priced at 49,000

Kazudo
2014-06-27, 12:08 PM
Well, if you can provide enough evidence to prove to your DM that this dysfunction works the way you say, then go for it.

Aside from my reading of the rules I'd have to call it a DM fiat either way.

Barstro
2014-06-27, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with the fiat.

Even Cape of the Monteblank is only 10,800 and is once per day without restrictions.

Yanisa
2014-06-27, 12:54 PM
Well, general rule (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Using-Items) says it is a standard action:

Command Word: If the activation is on command or if no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it. Command word activation means that a character speaks the word and the item activates. No other special knowledge is needed.

A command word can be a real word, but when this is the case, the holder of the item runs the risk of activating the item accidentally by speaking the word in normal conversation. More often, the command word is some nonsensical word, or a word or phrase from an ancient language. Activating a command word magic item is a standard action and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Sometimes the command word to activate an item is written right on the item. Occasionally, it might be hidden within a pattern or design engraved, carved, or built into the item, or the item might bear a clue to the command word.

The Knowledge (arcana) and Knowledge (history) skills might be useful in helping to identify command words or deciphering clues regarding them. A successful check against DC 30 is needed to come up with the word itself. If that check is failed, succeeding on a second check (DC 25) might provide some insight into a clue. The spells detect magic, identify, and analyze dweomer all reveal command words if the properties of the item are successfully identified.

And a command word is nothing more then one single word, even when speaking is a free action, command words are not. V feels your pain (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html).
As a sidenote, based on the command word 1800 GP base price, Cape of the Monteback is correctly priced, the Boots Escapes probably have some "designer discount" due the limitations and restrictions.

As for other options, any chance you got a friendly spell caster for Liberating Command (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/liberating-command)? Which is almost on all spell list except witches.

Barstro
2014-06-27, 01:12 PM
Not so much impatience as putting in the correct area. :smallredface:

Not sure how I missed "if no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description or by the nature of the item, assume that a command word is needed to activate it". Thanks for pointing it out.

Liberating Command doesn't really help since 1) it wastes another player's action, and 2) if I'm caught, chances are everyone is.

Hmm. Maybe I'll get a wand of Liberating Command for my Faerie Dragon.
edit: Crap, that won't work. It would give only a +2 bonus and I'm not spending more money to increase the level.

Edit #2

the Boots Escapes probably have some "designer discount" due the limitations and restrictions.
Well, this Ferrari can go only five miles on a full tank, you aren't allowed to have any passengers or cargo, and you can only use it if someone else tells you that you need to drive it right away. Due to the limitations and restrictions, I'll let you have it for $190,000 instead of $230,000. BTW, that is taking up a Garage Slot, so you cannot put any other vehicle there. :smallconfused:

Yanisa
2014-06-27, 01:49 PM
Not so much impatience as putting in the correct area. :smallredface:
I am a slow poster, so I was already sort of typing your message when you posted the question in the FAQ thread. :smalltongue:

Liberating Command doesn't really help since 1) it wastes another player's action, and 2) if I'm caught, chances are everyone is.
Well caster, from my expierence, are the classes that uses the least amount of swift actions or immediate actions (Unless they spam quicken). In the couple of PFS game I played, Liberating Command was one of those saves against grapple encounters, which otherwise lead to dead or near dead. Grease was also often involved. :smalltongue:

Well, this Ferrari can go only five miles on a full tank, you aren't allowed to have any passengers or cargo, and you can only use it if someone else tells you that you need to drive it right away. Due to the limitations and restrictions, I'll let you have it for $190,000 instead of $230,000. BTW, that is taking up a Garage Slot, so you cannot put any other vehicle there. :smallconfused:
Great analogy, and yeah it is a problem with the pricing system in general (and flexibility of spells). Make the item too cheap and it becomes a must buy. Make it an immediate item and it becomes a must buy, regardless of the price. You are indeed better off that the more expensive options, especially because that gap is so small, unless you really only fear grapples and you really need to save 2000 GP.

Makes me wonder why people were excited (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2oc32?Heh-Boots-of-Escape-in-ARG-Nice) for it...