PDA

View Full Version : Protection for a Necromancer's Keep

Chester
2014-06-27, 11:33 AM
Hello!

My Dread Necromancer (level 9) just got his keep!

For all intents and purposes, it's a typical keep, and the rest of my party gets to hang out there.

The dungeon, however, includes an altar to Hades and a charnel / workroom for "research." Access to the dungeon is either through a sealed / trapped / guarded door, or through a secret stairwell in my chambers.

The keep comes with the appropriate measures to keep people from sniffing around my workroom. I ask for recommendations that are both effective and reasonable. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-27, 11:38 AM
This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?302120-Optimizing-a-Mundane-Garrison#4) has ideas for mundane means of defending a small castle from adventurers and magic-users.

Darth Paul
2014-06-27, 11:54 AM
Lots of dead guys???? :xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon:: xykon::xykon::xykon::xykon:

John Longarrow
2014-06-27, 12:07 PM
I'd have your workroom reached through a trap - specifically a covered pit trap over a 10' drop (cushioned) and then through a locked secret door. I'd make the "trap" kinda obvious so when any rogue breaking in sees it he'll disable it (preventing the intruders from entering your work room). I would also whitewash the entire inside of your keep. Nothing will put an intruder off more than pure white rooms and corridors in a necromancers keep...

For bonus points, have the entry be through a 40' corridor. Hang both sides with mirrors that have a shelf running at about the 4' height. Line the shelf and the floor below with garden gnomes that have matching paint jobs. Anyone coming in needs to go down a corridore lined with what looks like an army of endless garden gnomes on both sides.

By the time anyone gets to you, they should be totally freaked out.

Gildedragon
2014-06-27, 01:38 PM
A happy village/settlement is an excellent option too. Give the peasants undead grafts when they get hurt

Also pits of blacksand.