PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Ordained Champion

Darthor
2014-06-27, 11:43 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

I'm playing a Human Cleric 4/Ordained Champion 2(Surtur) , I'm focused on DMM Persist and ocasionally Sunder (Sunder?Yes, sunder). At the moment i'm using a Heavy Plate, Greatsword and Buckler, i'm planning on Persisting Ice Axe and using a Heavy Steel Shield (atm i persist Mass Lesser Vigor on me and the barbarian).

Stats:

Str 17
Dex 10
Con 12
Int 8
Wis 17
Cha 10

Domains: War, Strength and Fire

Feats: Extra Turning, Extend Spell, Persist Spell, Divine Metamagic Persist Spell, +Power Attack and Improved Sunder (sacrificed fire and strength domain powers)

Here is the question: When i get to the next level, can i use my Channel Spell class feature with the Ice Axe?

Rest of the party:
Halfling Rogue 5/Assassin 1
Elf Ranger 4 / Fighter 2 (on the way to Deepwood Sniper)
Human Barbarian 6
Illumian Monk / Wizard / Enlighted Fist (don't really know the level distribution)

Any idea about the character is welcome (we don't play high op as you can see).

Rebel7284
2014-06-27, 11:56 AM
The rules are unclear about exactly how to treat a spell effect that you can use as a weapon. For example, can you use power attack with it when you are not using strength for damage? It's still being used as a weapon, so I would rule that channel spell works.

Incidentally, find out how Lesser Rod of Extend interacts with Persistent Spell. If it results in 48 hour spells, be very happy.

Also, check out Channeled Divine Shield in PHB2. DR10/Evil is pretty nice at this level.

Ellowryn
2014-06-27, 12:08 PM
RAW? Probably, as in the spell description under effects it says it creates a battleaxe-shaped shard of ice, and a battle axe is a melee weapon. As with anything that could possible be questionable ask your DM as most sane ones will allow it.

Also, look at the luminous armor chain and divine vestments to extend/persist.

And are you trying to be melee bruiser? If you already have power attack you might just want to stick with the greatsword because even if you can use it with ice axe, you are losing out on the 1:2 damage ratio plus the extra 1.5xStr damage.

Darthor
2014-06-27, 12:22 PM
Thanks guys, i will check with my DM.

I can't use Luminous Armor because i'm Neutral Evil, i use Magic Vestment (i believe it's that? couldn't find anything relevant on google by Divine Vestment) on my shield and armor when possible.

I do like my greatsword but the extra 1 AC and hitting touch AC makes my life easier, yes i'm the Brute/tank.

And the change: 2d6+4 or 2d6+14 (max PA with only +4 to hit[ 3 str, 1 MW Greatsword, 1 Weapon Focus, -1 Buckler]) i do think right now i'm better with 2d12+2 on a +8 to hit touch AC.

Edit: Forgot to close a brachet.

Ellowryn
2014-06-27, 12:42 PM
Oops, magic vestments, yeah.

And while 2d6+14 doesnt seem much, it will get better as you level and get buffs. Ice axe will cap out at 2d12+10 at level 20. Dont forget thought that buffs like Divine Power and Enlarge Person give you big bonuses to your attacks that you just cant take advantage of with ice axe.

For example, at level 9 ice axe does 2d12+4 while a greatsword does 3d6+25 damage (7 BaB and +6 Str from divine power and +2 Str and size increase from enlarge person w/max power attack).

Darthor
2014-06-27, 12:58 PM
Ohhhhh yes, i see your point, the Ice Axe thing is temporary.....i think i should have mentioned that!

Thank you ^^

Lvl 9 I'm going for combat brute, and lvl 12 holy warrior

Zombulian
2014-06-27, 01:56 PM
Ohhhhh yes, i see your point, the Ice Axe thing is temporary.....i think i should have mentioned that!

Thank you ^^

Lvl 9 I'm going for combat brute, and lvl 12 holy warrior

Sounds pretty good. I was going to recommend those feats anyway. Maybe look into ways to increase your effective turning level? Like Bloodline levels or something?