PDA

View Full Version : Cool and/or Explanatory Names Are Overrated - In Character

Pages : [1] 2 3

rweird
2014-06-27, 12:22 PM
The sun rises above the Black Island, casting its rays through the mist on the bay, as the morning mists start to burn away, promising the beginning of a hot day. Nighttime fishermen are returning with their catches, as other fishermen head out for the day. At the docks, there is the normal hustle and bustle, and in town square, people are beginning to open their booths for market day.

For whatever reason, you all find yourselves in the market square.

I'm unclear on whether you know each other already or not, in case you don't, this is a chance for you to get acquainted or look for plot hooks.

Out of Character Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?352107-Cool-and-or-Explanatory-Names-Are-Overrated-Out-of-Character)

Archmage1
2014-06-27, 01:10 PM
Aeris, looking more than a bit out of place in the small village, wanders through the market, talking to the fishermen there, trying to find one willing to take him out to the lighthouse, as it seemed quite intriguing.

rweird
2014-06-27, 03:24 PM
"Its a dangerous voyage, the last few hundred yards at least. I'd be pretty sure docking at that side of the island would be impossible, but if you fancy a swim…"

Another fisherman approaches with his catch. "Rumor has it, of a secret path to a dock. Jackson Treader says he reckons he found some path to the island at least, but Jack is always making stuff up, claimed he killed the Kraken just the other day."

"Still", interjects the first "I wouldn't go out there, if whoever runs it doesn't want to come out, thats his business, and if no-one is running it, messing with old magic has never done anyone any good."

Archmage1
2014-06-27, 03:28 PM
Aeris frowns at this.
"I would prefer to avoid a swim, but I don't need to go to any specific side of the island. If I can get to it, I can walk to the lighthouse. However, if this Jack is telling the truth, then his help would be invaluable. If he isn't, he may still take the risk. Do you know where I might find him?"

Aeris is polite, but perhaps a bit formal.

As the fishermen continue, Aeris responds.
"What if the magic could be learned, and then repeated? It would make lighthouses more reliable, which could help a lot of people. For any sensible risk, there is the potential for gain as well."

rweird
2014-06-27, 03:58 PM
"This is the only magical lighthouse I know of, and mark my words, normal folks who learn magic always regret it."

The first sailor cuts off the second at this point, "Jack probably is down by the docks getting his boat ready."

Archmage1
2014-06-27, 04:50 PM
Aeris nods, and smiles at the fishermen.
"Thank you. You were most helpful."
He starts heading down towards the docks.

drack
2014-06-27, 06:36 PM
Keeping astride, Hellen helpfully adds. "He's right you know, wizardry is so bad for your skin... and eyes... and ... well most parts of you that you want to keep. If you want magic you know you want a sorcerer. One with a dimpled smile, and those deep knowing eyes, that unfathomably silky skin, and one who's chosen not to age."

Archmage1
2014-06-27, 06:39 PM
Aeris just shakes his head. Sorcerers... just dabblers. Always thinking that they owned the world.

rweird
2014-06-27, 11:18 PM
The docks are busy, fisherman hustling to and fro with various tasks.

A group of men are gathered by a boat at the end of a pier. "… Great big ships I tell you, bearing no flag. Pirates! It was misty, I was lucky they didn't see me or I'd be a deadman." A voice says.

"Deadman? You killed the Kraken just last week, but you're scared of a couple pirates?" Jeers another. Others chuckle.

"I tell you," says the first "Great big ships they were, bigger than any sea monster."

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 06:55 AM
Making his way down the docks, trying not to get in anyone's way, Aeris soon spies the group of men at the end of the pier, near what sounded like a boaster. He approaches, getting into the circle, and looking to the man in the center.
"Pardon me, but would you be Jack?"

Tjallen
2014-06-28, 07:03 AM
Riding on his dog Sperr speaks up at Hellen, sounding like a particularly annoying bird talking: "Alright I'll take it, but how do I know your skin is as silky as you say?"

ben-zayb
2014-06-28, 08:16 AM
"Oh, that's Jack, alright! I'd recognize that braggart anywhere", whispered Magnus ahead, who had uncharacteristically been quiet today. Far from the energetic brash motormouth, stands a hunched sickly gnome in place.

rweird
2014-06-28, 08:51 AM
"Yes sir, Jackson Treader. Who may you be?"

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 09:12 AM
Aeris looks up at the braggart, wondering internally if he would be willing to back up his claims, but he gives no outward signs of his fears.
"I'm Aeris. I heard that you have a way to the lighthouse. Would you be willing to take me there and back?"

rweird
2014-06-28, 02:01 PM
"To the island. Theres no way anyone could sail close to the lighthouse. I do, however, know a way to get close to the island."

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 02:04 PM
Aeris smiles, glad to see that he has a way to get there.
"Since I have legs, the island will be sufficient. When will you be able to leave?"

drack
2014-06-28, 02:23 PM
Hellen, tilting her head inquisitively asks "Since you don't have gills, shouldn't you be more afraid of the water then the land anyways?"

rweird
2014-06-28, 03:17 PM
"After I unload this catch, but I couldn't just wait all day for you at the island. I'll be going out fishing again, though the island is on my way out. How about I swing back around sunset to pick you up?"

drack
2014-06-28, 03:24 PM
Hellen smiles pleasantly. "That should work wonderfully, and in return we'll give you some advice. While you fish perhaps you can clean up that ugly beard, I think that'd help you as much as fishing."

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 03:26 PM
Aeris considers Jacks offer for a moment. While it wasn't quite what he wanted, it was also much better than having no way there.
"That seems acceptable, although I would be most annoyed if you didn't return."

He turns to the woman who had been following him.
"Are you planning on visiting the lighthouse as well?"

drack
2014-06-28, 03:32 PM
Hellen turns to the man who had been following her. "Wasn't that why we came all this way?" Hellen wrinkles her brow. Perhaps old Aeris had already lost his mind to the lighthouse if he was forgetting little things like that. Suddenly remembering she adds "I invited some new friends I made at the bar last night to join us, hope you don't mind. It's amazing how friendly everyone is, isn't it?"

rweird
2014-06-28, 03:40 PM
Ignoring the abnormally tall woman with a grimace, Jack addresses Aeris. "I'll return tonight all right. Mark my words. But what if you don't show up tonight? And is your… 'friend' coming?" Hearing the last comment, Jack continues "And how many others will be coming along. My boat only is so big."

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 03:45 PM
Aeris, the 5'3 elf, looks back at the woman.
"I figured that your offer last night wasn't serious. I wasn't expecting to actually see you here. Do you know if the others are coming as well?"
He turns to Jack after he finishes asking if his friend was going to come.
"We might have a few more coming as well."

drack
2014-06-28, 03:47 PM
"I never lie to a newly made friend, that'd just be starting everything off wrong now wouldn't it?" She replies casually but with a smile.

rweird
2014-06-28, 03:51 PM
Jack shakes his head and goes back to unloading his catch, the rest of the crowd dispersing, talking and laughing as they go back to work.

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 03:53 PM
"Most people don't agree to come along on a random journey with someone that they just met in a tavern. So, I wasn't expecting you. Although, why you think I'm a maid is quite beyond me."

drack
2014-06-28, 03:56 PM
"A maid? I never said you were." Hellen replies quite befuddled

maid, made, pronounced the same, so my typo works out. =p

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 03:58 PM
Close, but not quite.
"It doesn't really matter. I suppose we wait now, to see who else shows up."

Aeris sits at the edge of the docks, content to wait.

drack
2014-06-28, 04:08 PM
close enough to just be a dialect or a slur.

Hellen, not content with just waiting, begins talking immediately about that arabian bandit she'd made up to steel her away when she'd accompanied her father through the deserts.

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 04:09 PM
Aeris listens, being unable to get a word in edgewise.

drack
2014-06-28, 04:11 PM
As she talks, Hellen keeps an eye out for any of her new found friends from that drinking game, the one where whenever someone started laughing they had to buy everyone another round.

Tjallen
2014-06-28, 05:14 PM
The two feet tall Sperr tries to get the attention of the two by waving his arms, his throat quite raw from having laughed so much the day before. After a couple minutes of this he tugs on the elf's clothes to get his attention.

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 05:17 PM
Aeris looks over at the halfling standing next to him, and nods.
"Sperr, right? Are you coming along as well?"

Tjallen
2014-06-28, 08:00 PM
The two foot tall Sperr nods fervently, gesturing towards the dog he has been riding on earlier, indicating that he wants to bring it.

Sperr is tiny and looks like, well, a gremlin.

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 08:10 PM
Aeris sighs.
"Sperr, if you want to being the dog, you should ask Jack there, not me. It's his boat."
Such a small creature for a traveler.

Aeris is sitting down, and he's only a bit over 5 feet tall, so he's going to only be a bit higher than Sparr.

ben-zayb
2014-06-28, 08:28 PM
"Friends? I'm everybody's friends, alright! Or didn't you know? Magnus of the Thousand-Tales is here to help you!"

Once again, Magnus shows up from the shadows. He can be caught blatantly staring in annoyance at the belligerent sailor.

drack
2014-06-28, 08:30 PM
The giant woman, suddenly taking note of the midget smiles charmingly. "Ah, there you are. Glad you could make it, though I do say your table manners could have used some work last night... We'll blame it on the drink. Ready to get cursed and die a miserable death for this one with us?" She asks, jerking a thumb at the elf. It had been a long hard month, and she'd finally come to be able to joke freely of death and blisters, but couldn't they at least have feather beds at night? Was that too much to ask? She felt like she'd been sleeping on a log for the past year and it had hardly been four weeks!

Edit: catching sight of the living legend, Hellen's charming smile grows to a full blown grin. "Magnus! I'm so glad we have a real hero among us, and a veteran one at that. Oh, I'm sure you'll save us like you saved Charlot of Haversdamn from that abyssal demon, I just know it!"

Archmage1
2014-06-28, 08:51 PM
Seeing others arriving, Aeris stands once more, the unarmored elf moving quickly, and confidently, his longbow on his back, and a longsword on his hip.
"Good to see you again as well, Magnus. I really wasn't expecting that all of you would follow through. Thank you all for coming."
When Hellen said that they would all die a cursed death, Aeris shakes his head.
"So long as you are careful, and know when to back away, we shouldn't have any problems. I've been investigating things like this for years, and they are mostly harmless. So long as you avoid the traps, or the guards, or anything else like that."

Tjallen
2014-06-29, 04:35 AM
Sperr looks questioningly at Jack, while reaching up to pet the dog.

rweird
2014-06-29, 08:35 AM
"Bring it if you think you can control it on the boat." Jack says, blinking a few times at what appears to be a small, deformed, halfling. "Are you guys adventurers or something?"

Archmage1
2014-06-29, 08:57 AM
Aeris shakes his head at Jack's question.
"No, no, we're explorers. Adventurers get into all sorts of trouble. Explorers, on the other hand, try and avoid it."

ben-zayb
2014-06-29, 09:32 AM
Magnus chimes in, "I'm sure I could cook up a reason or two why you don't really need to know that anyway, but yeah. We are just doing some sightseeing and exploring about."

drack
2014-06-29, 10:09 AM
Hellen, looking disgusted adds. "Eww, do you know how mud-faced and sweaty they get? I'd sooner die then be one of them."

rweird
2014-06-29, 11:01 AM
Jack nods, unconvinced. After all, its a well known fact that adventurers look weird and poke around where they oughtn't.

I'll wait until tomorrow for Jack to finish unloading his catch or until Lexin and Terran post if they are coming, though if they don't, I'll give them the option to retroactively join on the boat for a while.

theterran
2014-07-01, 08:07 AM
A man with skin the color of copper walks towards the docks. His clothes are an array of color, almost seeming mismatched, yet not, though it's obvious that the purpose of the colors is to attract attention, which it succeeds at. With a pack slung over his shoulder, a crossbow across his back, and a longsword at his side, he approaches. As he nears, you realize he was the performer in the bar last night, and other than that raunchy song about a farmer's daughter, which got everyone laughing, his songs were forgettable.

"Hello!" he calls out. "I could not help overhearing, well, the whole bar couldn't help overhearing, that you were planning on going to the lighthouse today, and it sounds like an excellent chance to find some new material for my act!" he says with a grin. "I thought perhaps you would let me accompany you, if it's not a burden to you." he says with a flourishing bow.

Archmage1
2014-07-01, 08:09 AM
Aeris, at this point, is quite off balance, as offers of help after offers of help keep on flooding in.
"Of course you're welcome to come. A musician can always make better tales with direct experience."

drack
2014-07-01, 08:37 AM
Hellen, not at all surprised she could gather such a crowd to help the poor elf on such short notice, smiles warmly at the singer. "You'll get better eventually." She reassures him in a not-quite-pitying voice.

theterran
2014-07-01, 08:39 AM
Taken aback by the not so veiled slight, all the man can muster is an abashed "Thanks...

drack
2014-07-01, 08:45 AM
Cheerily the beautiful yet giant woman replies "You're welcome."

ben-zayb
2014-07-01, 09:20 AM
"Ah... you!" Magnus paused briefly, realizing he didn't catch the minstrel name.

"That was a hilarious tale, last evenin', yeah chap? Heheh, hopefully not based on real accounts."

rweird
2014-07-03, 04:37 PM
Jack by now has finished unloading his catch. He eyes the group. "Thats a lot of you, it'll be a bit tight on the boat. Come aboard now." He says, climbing back into his boat, preparing to untie it from the dock. "Any of you gone sailing before?"

Tjallen
2014-07-03, 04:55 PM
Sperr shakes his head as he follows his dog aboard the boat.

drack
2014-07-03, 05:23 PM
Hellen shakes her head along with everyone else.

Of course she'd gone sailing! With Dorrian, with Haryite, with Sir Drog, Mayor Brehrmore, and the ever charming Fleacius. She'd seen all the wonders of the world from a boat, well pictured seeing them at any rate, but she couldn't tell the poor little man that, he'd be jealous, and a shifty looking sailor like that might even make a move on her! Glumly she stepped into the boat. She'd imagined riding a boat all the ways she could think of, but never like this, tightly packed and sweaty, not a silken cushion in sight!

Archmage1
2014-07-03, 05:31 PM
Aeris nods.
"I've gone sailing before, but never in a vessel like this one. It's been the big boats."
He climbs into the boat, carefully making sure that he has at least three points of contact to prevent damp accidents.

ben-zayb
2014-07-03, 06:01 PM
"Ooh boy, Magnus sure did: rode longships, galleys, triremes, keelboats, wingships, caravels, dhows, and dromond!"

Magnus follows suit and climbs aboard, mumbling something as he goes. "Admittedly, seafaring isn't my favored method of transport; occasionally makes me sick, really. But you know Magnus, he tries anything at least once!"

rweird
2014-07-03, 06:13 PM
"Did you just ride, or did you sail?" Jack asks Aeris and Magnus

ben-zayb
2014-07-03, 08:41 PM
"Eh? It's pretty much the same i'nt it? If you meant navigate, well then... let's see.."

Magnus stares nervously at the boat, then back at Jack as he replies with forced dignity. "Uhm, no. Too busy adventurin' to do that, yeah!"

Archmage1
2014-07-03, 10:37 PM
"They objected to the passengers helping, so while I observed, I did not help."

rweird
2014-07-04, 08:59 AM
"Well then, I suppose try to stay out of the way." Jack says, and with you all aboard, casts off from the dock and sets a course towards the island. The sea is calm, and the trip isn't unpleasant, though the smell of fish and seawater is heavy on the little boat. As you near the island, Jack turns the boat to go towards the south end (the lighthouse is on the north end), staying some 600 ft away.

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 09:01 AM
Following the sailor's request, Aeris keeps out of the way, keeping a wary eye out for threats, or things of interest.

drack
2014-07-04, 09:58 AM
Seeing the land remain a good six hundred feet away, Hellen feels that her wise and genital guidance is required. "Excuse me, Mr. grubby sailer-man, didn't you say you'd take us to the land?Now i don't know about you, but these waves out here look allot less like land to me then that island over there..."

Tjallen
2014-07-04, 10:53 AM
Sperr looks out over the water and mumbles a prayer:

"Gentlest of giant, most beautiful of all, allow us to enter your domain. Please watch over the youngling, Sper and I. For we wish only to serve."

rweird
2014-07-04, 11:46 AM
Jack glares at the giant woman, biting back a reply. He pauses a moment, before responding in his most exasperated and annoyed voice. "Thats because we aren't there yet. Going any closer here would just sink us. I will get you to land, but sailing takes time. If you want instantaneous transportation, go see a wizard. "

drack
2014-07-04, 01:23 PM
Indigently Hellen replies "You don't need to get so uppity about not being a wizard, I mean you wouldn't want to be one of them anyways, all those wrinkles and warts? I hear your eyeballs roll out from all that dark candlelit reading until you have to hold them in with magic. I'm sure it's much better to be a prospect-less boatman then a 'great' wizard without hair or teeth. So what I'm getting at here, is you shouldn't beat yourself up about not being able to speed this rickety old tub up a bit." Hellen grins warmly down at the man. That ought to cheer him up, after all it was probably one of her more rousing pep talks!

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 01:38 PM
Aeris, once more, ignores Hellen.

rweird
2014-07-04, 03:08 PM
Jack grits his teeth at Helen's mocking. "Shut up, if you aren't satisfied with this, go swim to the island yourself."

drack
2014-07-04, 04:07 PM
Offended by the man's excess of unprovoked rage, Hellen shifts her weight, and in turn rocks the boat, turning to face the man. "Do you have some kind of a problem? Did some wizard curse you, or did some kind of miasma or malignant mold contaminate your breakfast, because I have been nothing but nice to you, even talking you down from your wizard complex, and you have shown no consideration whatsoever for us. Sure, you agreed to take us to the island, but even when you're doing someone a favor you're expected to act with at least some manners. Didn't your parents ever teach you that?"

Tjallen
2014-07-04, 04:27 PM
Sperr looks over at the woman, lightly reprimanding her as one would an unruly child: "Hellen don't antagonize Jack, I don't think you would enjoy being stuck on the island that he is kindly taking us to." Before turning to Jack: "Please forgive her, shes young and it was a late night, a wizard seems to have gotten to her." He then turns back to staring out over the sea, the fresh air seemingly having done wonders for his throat.

drack
2014-07-04, 04:33 PM
"What wizard, when? Stuck? Why would we be stuck?" Hellen asks, perplexed by the man's nonsense.

Tjallen
2014-07-04, 04:36 PM
"You should apologize to Jack, Hellen." Sperr notes without turning.

drack
2014-07-04, 05:59 PM
"Would that really help?" Hellen asks, hesitant to disturb the already disturbed man. "I mean, if you try to apologize to a man sulking in self pity, it almost always makes it worse." She wasn't entirely sure if the little man was just teasing her, but even if it were a joke, this was neither time nor place for it. "Sperr, you should be ashamed of yourself, trying to kick the poor man while he's down. I think it better that you apologize immediately for the suggestion."

Tjallen
2014-07-04, 06:21 PM
Without turning around and still in the voice of an adult being patient with a child Sperr answers: "You are still being rude, I think you should stop talking. It's so nice out here, you should appreciate it instead."

drack
2014-07-04, 06:27 PM
"You insult a man to his face, and think it rude to be scolded for it? While it's true scolding you isn't particularly dignifying to you even without your diminutive figure, but you ought to learn not to make jokes at the expense of others. Still, the sooner you get this over with, the sooner you can put this behind you, as you obviously wish to do. So I say again, apologize."

Tjallen
2014-07-04, 07:29 PM
Sperr Shoos the woman without looking at her with a 'shh' before turning his head to Aeris:"Was there anything special you hoped to find on the island, or did you just wish to make a map of it or such?"

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 07:32 PM
Aeris shrugs.
"Nothing in particular. I would like to find out what makes the lighthouse work, who built it, that sort of thing, but mostly, I want to see what I can learn about this area."

drack
2014-07-04, 07:46 PM
"Sperr, apologize to the nice man."

ben-zayb
2014-07-04, 07:52 PM
"Oh, I heard rumors that it was made by an artificer! Rhambast the Yellowtongued, or somesuch. Surely you can't make something as amazing like that without either intelligence or magic!", Magnus chimes in while admiring the vast blue world before them.

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 07:57 PM
Aeris smiles at the evidence that Magnus agreed with his priorities.
"That's what we are here to learn."
After a moment's consideration, he turns to Hellen.
"Hellen, would you please stop being hypocritical?"

drack
2014-07-04, 08:18 PM
Hellen, shocked, inquires "Hypocrytical? Is this because I would not mock the man? What manner of fiends have I joined up with?"

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 08:24 PM
Aeris just looks at her. It's a good look, full of meaning.
"No, you are being hypocritical for demanding an apology for insulting someone to the face, and for making jokes at the expense of others, and, yet, that is precisely what you are doing. However, I see that being reasonable is too much for you. I believe we will be better off if you stay on the boat while we investigate. Your inability to recognize when silence is called for is far too great of a weakness."

ben-zayb
2014-07-04, 08:34 PM
Magnus steps in between, trying to defuse the situation (as well as to detract attention from the issue of fiend accusation). "Oy, you guys, tone it down. No need to hurl hurtful words, alright. Surely you wouldn't want to awaken and enrage the calm seas, who has plenty more violent methods to settle loud arguments."

drack
2014-07-04, 08:37 PM
Looking down at the choppy waves Hellen comments to the effect of the seas perhaps having been roused before they entered them, but she bows to the great hero's wisdom.

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 08:42 PM
Hoping that Hellen would actually think about her words, and, perhaps, learn from them, Aeris resumes his study of the island, pulling out a sheet of paper, and a pen, and starting to draw a picture of it.

drack
2014-07-04, 08:46 PM
Hoping that the evil men she'd enlisted with wouldn't gut her in her sleep, or otherwise at the first chance they got, she stares at the lighthouse, fantasizing of the young sailor boy marooned on the island after a shipwreck who had so carefully tended the lighthouse as a signal for p only to be viewed as the perpetuation of a curse.

ben-zayb
2014-07-04, 08:59 PM
"Oy, Hellen! Are you alright? What's with that weird sound?", despite the ridiculousness of the question, Magnus managed to keep a straight face.

drack
2014-07-04, 09:08 PM
Hellen, surprised, speaks up. "I said that you must have found great wisdom in your travels great hero."

ben-zayb
2014-07-04, 09:20 PM
"Ah. Uhm, why, of course! Although I'm sure you have some great tales of your own."

drack
2014-07-04, 09:27 PM
Nothing so heroic as you. I simply lived a normal life, and went bankrupt a few weeks ago. Hellen replies, assuming that everyone lived spending millions of gold a week.

rweird
2014-07-04, 09:53 PM
Thoroughly confused by the argument brewing, but glad to be left alone. Jack continues his path around the island. As he rounds the south point, he slows, and turns towards the island, slowly sailing between the rocks. He arrives at the edge of a small beach, about 20 feet from the edge of the western shore., shaped like a C. "Its low tide. Its too shallow to get any closer, especially with everyone on the boat. The water is no more than two feet deep, you should be able to walk. I'll be high tide when I return so I can come right up to those rocks at the west of the beach. Was blown off course in a storm one night and by the grace of the gods, got into this cove without hitting the rocks, and found shelter until it passed." He pauses for a moment, seeming to bite back something else. "The way out was easy enough, as I remembered how I'd come in." He finishes. "Good luck, and good day."

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 10:01 PM
At that, Aeris puts away his sketch, and carefully stands.
"Thank you, Jack. We'll see you in around twelve hours."
With that, Aeris casually goes over the side of the boat, and starts wading to shore, stepping carefully on the slick rocks beneath the sea.

drack
2014-07-04, 10:12 PM
Hellen grimaces at the thought of getting her feet wet, but goes along with the group all the same.

ben-zayb
2014-07-04, 10:17 PM
"Easy for you to say...", Magnus mumbles as he jumps down the boat. He has his backpack, with his cloak draped over it, held on two hands over his head to keep it from getting wet as he trudges the chest-deep waters.

rweird
2014-07-04, 11:12 PM
You reach the shore, with wet feet, though no worse for the wear. Beyond the small beach is the darkness of the forest, willow branches blocking sight deeper in.

Archmage1
2014-07-04, 11:14 PM
Remembering the layout of the island, Aeris considers it for a moment, before smiling.
"The lighthouse should be this way, so let's get going. We don't have very much time to spend here."
And, words said, he follows his advice, heading in the direction that his memory indicates the lighthouse is

drack
2014-07-04, 11:29 PM
Hellen follows, somewhat slower then usual, lking carefully to avoid twisting her ankle in some animal's hole/den along the way.

Tjallen
2014-07-05, 06:12 AM
Sperr follows alongside Aeris. Riding his companion.

rweird
2014-07-05, 03:06 PM
You find a narrow path, probably worn by animals, that leads towards where you reckon the lighthouse would be, at least for the first few minutes. Then it veers towards the west. Do you stay on the path, and hope it reaches the lighthouse, able to move faster, or go off the trail and bushwhack, although it'll be slower, it'll be more direct.

Archmage1
2014-07-05, 03:12 PM
Aeris shrugs, and takes the path. While time is limited, there should be plenty of time to recover, even if the trail is a mistake.

rweird
2014-07-05, 10:13 PM
You come to a narrow stream. By the path, some thirty feet away, a large wolf with a dark grey pelt, about five feet long and standing about three feet high, is drinking from the stream, back too you. It doesn't appear to have noticed you yet.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Archmage1
2014-07-05, 10:32 PM
Instantly, Aeris stops, looking back at the others, with a finger over his lips, trying to indicate to the others to be quiet.
Moving carefully, he draws his bow, and launches an arrow, hoping that it would make enough noise to draw the wolf off when it skid along the ground.

I would roll move silently, hide, and an attack roll here, but... I don't remember them, and mythweavers is too busy currently.

ben-zayb
2014-07-06, 03:29 AM
After being alerted by Aeris' attempt at distraction, Magnus nods in affirmation. He starts making some unusual hand gestures as he picks up a lone pebble from the ground. Shadows immediately envelops a sizeable area around the pebble, providing everyone with some manner of concealment from the beast.

rweird
2014-07-06, 10:14 AM
The wolf's ears perk up and it turns quickly, looking at the arrow, then turning towards the way it came, sniffing the air. It sees the sphere of shadow, and cautiously advances, nose low to the ground, growling slightly.

Archmage1
2014-07-06, 10:22 AM
Watching the oncoming wolf, Aeris feels sad that his plan failed. So, he shifted to a new plan, and yells. Loudly.
He doesn't really say anything, just makes an attempt to get the wolf to move away.

rweird
2014-07-06, 10:29 AM
The wolf jumps back, startled, and glares at Aeris with its red eyes, barring its teeth, lips pulled back in a snarl.

drack
2014-07-06, 10:35 AM
Hellen slowly draws her bow notching an arrow. "Magnus..." She says, terror slowly creeping into her voice, hopping the hero would magically make the frightening beast vanish. Her hands shaking, she accidentally gives the arrow flight.
[roll0] for [roll1] damage

Archmage1
2014-07-06, 10:35 AM
Aeris gestures to the others, before he starts carefully circling around the wolf.

drack
2014-07-06, 10:39 AM
Hellen, shocked and appalled by the man's ridiculous idea, begins doing the one thing that always help She begins talking. "Are you crazy!? You want us to walk by that thing and pretend you didn't just shoot at it? You want to just hope that it doesn't kill us?" Between her surprise and fright however, she somehow forgets to whisper.

Archmage1
2014-07-06, 10:43 AM
Aeris shakes his head.
"Neither of us shot at it. We both fired warning shots. I'm hoping that it will let us edge past without attacking. If it doesn't, well..."
He pauses.
"That would be unfortunate."

rweird
2014-07-06, 11:05 AM
The wolf tenses as the arrow hits the ground in front of it, ready to leap.

Sperr:
In the bushes behind you, you see a second wolf quietly approaching the group, crouched low to the ground, though can't hear it over Helen and Aeris's argument.

Roll Initiative:
Wolf: [roll0]

ben-zayb
2014-07-06, 12:26 PM
#%^$%^*@#^$%#@(!", Magnus wails silently at the wind; the situation definitely didn't turn out the way he hoped it would!

And now Hellen is probably waiting for me leap into the fray... I should be running, demmet! Seeing his reputation on the line, Magnus decided to cooperate and just play the part anyhow.

He aims his gauntlet at the wolf, raw magical energy blasting towards its target. "Let's teach this pup a lesson in humility!"
Move: If the wolf is within Darkness range, move out so that it doesn't benefit from Concealment. If not, then don't move.
Standard: Eldritch Blast (ranged touch with Precise Shot)
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Swift: Hide via Blend into Shadows (not a Sniping attack)
Hide: [roll2]

Tjallen
2014-07-06, 01:00 PM
"The wild is unusually upset today, two wolves at once. Guess we will have to defend ourselves." Sperr says calmly, pointing at the second wolf.

[roll0]

Archmage1
2014-07-06, 02:29 PM
Aeris sighs.
"I suppose that the idea of a peaceful resolution is now gone. Pity."

Knocking another arrow, he whispers, and sends the now glowing arrow at the wolf.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage

drack
2014-07-06, 03:03 PM
Everything was going so fast, Hellen didn't have time to think. Everyone was reacting though, and she was probably expected to too. Drawing another arrow she fires off another shot before asking. "Wait, are we trying to shoot it, or still warning it?"

[roll0] initiative for awesomness
[roll1] to hit
[roll2] damage

rweird
2014-07-06, 03:34 PM
The arrow strikes the wolf in the side and it snarls. While the wolf is injured, it doesn't appear to be injured terribly much, and now it really is mad.

Initiative Order:

Aeris: 22
Bard: 12
Helen: 10
Wolves: 9
Magnus: 8
Sperr: 7

theterran
2014-07-07, 07:18 AM
Still somewhat perturbed after learning that the 'expedition' is only to see how the lighthouse works AFTER he was on the boat, Bard smirks. ...Perhaps there might be something to sing about yet, though with this group it might end up being a comedy...or a tragedy... he thinks to himself.

"Haha! The first obstacle on our quest!" Bard exclaims aloud while unstrapping and grasping his crossbow from his back, eyes flitting everywhere, trying to take it all in.

rweird
2014-07-07, 01:33 PM
Helen's arrow strikes the wolf in the hind leg. It snarls and springs at Helen, biting a leg and trying to jerk Helen to the ground.

[roll0] for [roll1] damage. Miss chance from darkness (1-20 misses) [roll2]

If it hits: Trip attempt: [roll3]

A second wolf, the same size as the first, leaps out of the bushes behind you snarling, attacking Aeris from behind.
[roll4] for [roll5] damage. Miss chance from darkness (1-20 misses) [roll6]

If it hits: Trip attempt: [roll7]

Initiative Order:

Archmage1
2014-07-07, 01:39 PM
[roll0] Aeris's resist trip attempt.

The wolf's bite hits Aeris hard, staggering him, and, unfortunately, tripping him, sending him to the ground. Thinking about it for a moment, he decides to play dead, hoping that the wolf would leave him alone, and attack someone else instead

Delay. Would roll a bluff check or something to pretend to be dead, but I don't know what roll that would be.
5 foot step back,[roll1] 1-20 misses, fire an arrow [roll2] Attack [roll3] damage

drack
2014-07-07, 02:40 PM
As the wolf's jaws clamp down on Hellen's leg, all the confusion of the night rushes back to her. "Who's... Why's... What's...." As the blood that would surely have rushed to her head to answer these questions is instead bleed out through her leg, she lifts the back of her hand to her head, and faints collapsing onto the soft dry ground.

HP seems to have been erased from my sheet. =\ That said I know that's enough to knock Hellen out. =p

Tjallen
2014-07-07, 03:32 PM
Sperr drops off of the back of his mount, singing a string of words as he hits the groud. He points to the wolf that tripped Aeris and the dog jumps at it with a ferocity it had not had seconds before.

Sperr drops from mount and casting Enrage animal on Sper. Sper charges, if possible, the wolf next to Aeris, unless that would provoke.
[roll0] add another +2 if charging is a thing. for [roll1] if it hits then trip attempt: [roll2]

And just cause, knowledge checks on the wolves [roll3]

Edit: Aww man :/

rweird
2014-07-07, 04:26 PM
Magnus's eldritch blast strikes the wolf in the flank as it knocks Helen down, and it snarls. Bleeding from the arrows and magical energy, though it has yet to be fatally hit.

The wolf by Aeris turns and leaps out of the way of the dog's jaws, the two snarling at each other.

Sperr:
You recognize these "wolves" as Worgs, a larger, smarter, and eviler wolf. They possess the same abilities as wolves, able to bite and pull foes to the the ground, as you just saw, and the ability to run quickly. Worgs have greater endurance than ordinary wolves, making them more dangerous. They also have a language of their own, though some are known to speak common or goblin, as on occasion, they serve as mounts for goblins.

Initiative:
Aeris: 22 (0 hp)
Helen: 10 (unconscious)

theterran
2014-07-08, 08:06 AM
"Well, that was unexpected!" Bard says somewhat shocked.

"Two of our heroes knocked out with one fell swoop of a demonic paw from the dastardly wolves!" he says, he words taking on a more excited note.

Bard takes aim at the wolf that downed Hellen and looses a bolt.

"Unfortunately for our Heroes, their minstrel is somewhat rusty with firing his crossbow..." sounding disappointed.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Lexin
2014-07-08, 02:35 PM
The riding dog carrying a sleeping gnome, which followed you for a while finally caught up to the group. The noise of fighting enough to wake up, now severely hungover rider.

Boddynock looks around somewhat confused, last thing he remembers being some weird drinking game last night, and now he is riding his dog in full armor, in the middle of nowhere. And just before him a group is getting slaughtered by wolves.
"They need help. Rocinante charge!" he shouts and spurs his dog to charge at the closest wolf, his favored lance already in hand.

Charge at the closest wolf.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
If it hits heal closest dying person (Aeris or Helen) for 2hp.

Lance is a reach weapon, so from what I understand I end up 5ft from the wolf.
Initiative (if needed) [roll2]

3'4'' gnome covered in grey scale-like armor with blue eyes and short brown hair and goatee beard, looking tired/hungover
...riding a huge black dog, who looks tired and somewhat sad...

rweird
2014-07-09, 02:11 PM
Distracted by Sper, the second wolf is struck in the back leg with a lance. The wolf limps forward angrily, snapping at the armored gnome, only to get a shield in the face, the second running to attack Sper, taking him by surprise.

Bite at Boddynock: [roll0]
[roll1] damage, and trip, if hits [roll2]

Bite at Sper: [roll3]
[roll4] damage, and trip, if hits [roll5]

Initiative Order:
Aeris: 22 (0 hp)
Boddynock: 20

Archmage1
2014-07-09, 02:14 PM
Seeing the wolf leave him, Aeris briefly opens his eyes to make sure that the wolf is far enough away for him to stand safely. If it is, he will quietly stand, and stagger a short distance away.

Assuming the wolf isn't in AoO range, Aeris will stand from prone(Assuming that playing dead involves lying on the ground), and take a 5 foot step(Away from the wolves). [roll0] move silently

drack
2014-07-09, 02:22 PM
Hellen's wound closes up as the warrior's spirit heals her flesh, but the mental rigors of it all have left her fatigued, and so, alas, she remains unconscious.

ben-zayb
2014-07-09, 02:50 PM
Sonofagun! Why must these beasts be so strong?! "

We can do it! I swear I'm not retreating, I'm just seeking an advantageous position!, he clarifies as he moved towards his injured allies. Then from the shadowy illumination appears Magnus, who once again out of his gauntlet blasts a bolt of arcane energy.

Move: Move so that he's 20ft away from the wolves, possibly towards Aeris and/or Hellen if possible, to give them concealment
Standard: Eldritch Blast (ranged touch with Precise Shot). In the off-chance that the two wolves are adjacent each other, then use Leraje's Ricochet of Eldritch Blast instead
Attack: Damage: [roll]
Swift: Hide via Blend into Shadows
Hide: [roll1]

[/QUOTE]

Lexin
2014-07-09, 02:57 PM
"Die, you wretched beats!" shouts Boddynock as he puts the lance in the holder and draws the longsword.
He takes a moment to glance around the battlefield and is happy to see that the fallen people are moving/healing. Then he attacks again, spurring his mount to do the same.

Move Action - change weapon
Standard Action - Crusader's Strike
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
-If it hits:
- 2hp healed for Hellen
- [roll2] hp healed for Aeris

Ride DC 10 to attack with mount [roll3], if it succeeds:
Attack [roll4]
Damage [roll5]

Tjallen
2014-07-10, 07:32 PM
Sperr looks at the wolf that just attacked his friend and starts backing away a bit, talking in a dreamy language to the worgs:
"You should probably run away before you die, we are much too many and strong for you to win this."

Sper turns around and returns an attack to the worg that just attacked him.

Sperr: Wild empathy perhaps? [roll0] backing away and focusing on the enrage animal.

Sper:
Avoid trip: [roll1] (+4 from being quadruped)

Bite [roll2] for [roll3], possible trip [roll4]

rweird
2014-07-12, 12:26 PM
Opposed trip: [roll0]

Magnus's bolt strikes true, wounding the wolf, as Sper leaps on it, grabbing a leg pulling the beast to the ground. It snarls, frantically and wounded. The creatures seem to immediately threatened to pay attention to Sperr, if they can even understand him.

Initiative:

theterran
2014-07-16, 12:59 PM
Bard slings his bow back over his shoulder and draws his longsword, mentally taking note of how the battle is unfolding in as much detail as he can muster.

"Come on guys! You can do better than that!" he says, trying to cheer them on.

rweird
2014-07-17, 03:39 AM
The prone wolf grows and flails at Sper with its jaws, like a trapped animal (which it is).

[roll0] for [roll1] damage to Sper.

If it hits, trip attempt: [roll2]

Dodging the longsword, though being struck by Rocinante), the wolf grows and lunges back, promising the beginning of a dogfight.

[roll3] for [roll4] damage to Rocinante

If it hits, trip attempt: [roll5]

Initiative:

Lexin
2014-07-17, 04:59 AM
Boddynock doesn't seem disturbed that his hit didn't actually connect. The beast was clearly using some dark magic tricks.
"Rocinante! Finish it!" he shouts again and tries to create a gap in the beasts defenses.

Vanguard Strike (if it hits, others get +4 attack bonus vs this enemy)
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Ride vs DC 10 [roll2] so Rocinante can attack as well.
Attack [roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Trip! [roll5]

Archmage1
2014-07-17, 05:56 AM
Moving slowly, Aeris draws and knocks another arrow, firing it at the most injured wolf.
[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage

rweird
2014-07-19, 12:27 PM
Aeris's arrow strikes true, the wolf collapses, bleeding, into unconsciousness. Boddynock's blade connects as well, leaving the second wolf open to other's attacks.

drack
2014-07-19, 02:15 PM
Hellen, jolting awake, looks about wishing fervently that it were a dream. Seeing it wasn't she speaks up openly expressing her opinion. "Guys, at a time like this there's only one thing to do. RUN!" Shrieking hysterically and raising her arms to the air she runs as fast as her feet will carry her into the woods.

Tjallen
2014-07-19, 03:14 PM
"If there are anymore worgs on this island, she just attracted them. Hopefully she will learn something from this." Sperr remarks before refocusing on his spell.

Sper looks quite grim, bleeding from some severe wounds from the worgs, he seems to be running on pure rage right now. Focusing on the still living worg Sper bites with deadly intent.

[roll0] for [roll1] and trip [roll2]

rweird
2014-07-19, 03:40 PM
Opposed trip: [roll0], how is Sper's +7?

Due to the opening exposed by Boddynock, Sper strikes true, leaving the second wolf bleeding, but on his feet.

Tjallen
2014-07-19, 04:15 PM
Sperr cheers upon seeing Sper hit, then urge him to move away from the worg.

He really is only +5 and I just can't math... Somehow I thought I had the numbers right... I did not.
Anyways Sper will 5' step away from the worg.

ben-zayb
2014-07-19, 04:26 PM
Truly, those are wise words, Hellen!, Magnus agrees. The sooner they flee, the sooner he needs to stop playing hero for real. He steps back a little in retreat, and proceeds to snipe at the wolf yet again with his magic gauntlet.
Standard: Eldritch Blast (ranged touch with Precise Shot).
Move: Move so that he's 20ft away from the wolf, possibly towards allies near the wolf, in order to give them concealment

rweird
2014-07-19, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately, in his haste to retreat, Magnus does not take enough time to aim and the blast goes high, leaving the wolf entirely unscathed (by the blast, it looks pretty hurt from other things).

Initiative

theterran
2014-07-26, 07:05 PM
Bard shakes his head with a sigh.

...this won't be the making of anything worth telling... he thinks.

Waving his arms, Bard speaks words of the arcane, conjuring a spot of slick grease under the wolf still on its feet, attempting not to get anyone else caught in the spell as well.

Casting Grease spell.
Otherwise still standing and watching.

rweird
2014-07-29, 04:37 PM
Reflex Save: [roll0]

rweird
2014-07-29, 04:41 PM
The wolf remains on his feet in the grease, and lunges at Boddynock.

[roll0] for [roll1] damage. If hits, trip: [roll2]

Initiative:

drack
2014-07-29, 05:01 PM
Hellen, looking back, stops suddenly. "What are you all doing? Didn't you hear the words of our irrefutable hero?"

Truly, those are wise words, Hellen!, Magnus agrees. The sooner they flee, the sooner he needs to stop playing hero for real. He steps back a little in retreat, and proceeds to snipe at the wolf yet again with his magic gauntlet.
Move: Move so that he's 20ft away from the wolf, possibly towards allies near the wolf, in order to give them concealment

Awkwardly she looses an arrow at the remaining wolf.

Archmage1
2014-07-29, 08:54 PM
Aeris knocks and fires another arrow. This one, however, does not glow slightly as it flies through the air. Evidently, whatever he used to enhance his arrows was drained.

[roll0]
[roll1]

rweird
2014-07-29, 09:26 PM
Helen's arrow flies high, being unable to get a good shot from the trees at the wolf among the combatants. Aeris fairs better however, the arrow only grazing the wolf's hind leg, as the wolf struggles to keep its footing.

ben-zayb
2014-07-29, 10:26 PM
Magnus continues backing off and letting loose yet another blast to distract the wolf, all the while nervously nodding at Hellen in agreement.
[/QUOTE]

Lexin
2014-07-30, 03:40 AM
Boddynock gets dragged off his saddle to the ground, his leg severely wounded by the attack.
"Ouch, that hurt! Rocinante, get him!" he shouts before trying to stand up and attack once again.

Rocinante's Attack
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Trip [roll2]

Well, that's kind of stupid... but Boddynock is stupid... he stands up provoking AoO and tries to attack:
Before standing up: Law Devotion (+3 AC)
Attack [roll3] (Leading the attack maneuver)
Damage [roll4]
If it hits: +4 to attack for everyone and 2hp for Boddynock...

rweird
2014-07-30, 04:59 AM
The wolf lunges past Rocinante taking advantage of Boddynock's moment of weakness.

Attack of Opportunity: [roll0] for [roll1] damage, trip doesn't matter because you are prone when the attack is made.

Another blast from the shadows burns the wolf ever so slightly more, now definitely on its last legs.

theterran
2014-08-07, 08:07 AM
Bard keeps his distance, taking a moment to assess the situation.

Perhaps I'm meant to be the hero of this story he thinks to himself.

Shrugging, he wields his sword and charges the wolf.

[roll0] (+2 for charge included)
[roll1]

(edit)

Such fail

rweird
2014-08-07, 08:59 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

It appears that Bard is not intended to be the hero of this story, or at least, not this fight, as the wolf slips on the grease, trying to dodge Bard's blade. Luckily, for the wolf, it falling at that moment made the sword whizz over its head.

rweird
2014-08-07, 09:05 AM
OoC: Acting for Sper as he said he'd be away, and I'm pretty sure it'll finish the fight.

Sper lunges at the wolf yet again.

Sper gets the wolf by the throat and pulls it to the ground. Bloody, but alive, the day is yours, your foes lie bleeding to death at your feet.

100 XP to each of you.

theterran
2014-08-07, 03:11 PM
Bard nods.

"Very nicely done everyone" he says, sheathing his sword.

"Perhaps next time everyone could do a bit less flailing about and act a bit more valiantly, it makes for a better story!" he suggests in a helpful tone.

Archmage1
2014-08-07, 03:17 PM
Aeris just looks at Bard, quite clearly conveying just how much he dislikes hypocrisy.

After that remarkably negative glare is finished, he limps over to a tree, and reaches into a backpack, pulling out a spare shirt, and ripping it up to act as a bandage for his wound.

"Foolishness aside, that did not go well. I'm not going to be mobile enough to keep up for several days, which, in my opinion, makes this trip a failure. I am not the only one of us to be wounded, so unless one of you has healing magic, now would be the time to turn back, and wait for Jack to return. We can plan a return trip for later, after we have recovered."

ben-zayb
2014-08-07, 07:31 PM
"Bedamned negativity! Everybody's efforts were nothing short of selfless and valiant!", Magnus disagrees as he reappears from the shade.

He responds to Aeris. "My eyes might be deceiving me earlier, but I swore I saw both you and Hellen recuperating from your wounds extraordinarily fast."

Archmage1
2014-08-07, 08:03 PM
"Valiance does not always work. Planning is critical to success, and we did not plan. Hellen's wounds were closed swiftly, mine were not. I can walk, but I will be slow, and I am unwilling to risk combat in my current state. Unless someone has healing magic available, persisting is a foolish decision."
Aeris's voice is clipped, and taut. He seems to be in a great deal of pain, but is ignoring it.

drack
2014-08-07, 09:55 PM
Hellen, who had begun to climb a tree, gets off it, carefully, and walks back to the group looking over her shoulder every now and again as if expecting a third wolf. "Mungus, you may be right, but I don't feel very valiant right about now, I feel bruised, battered, and kinda funny all around... Any chance we can get out of the open?"

ben-zayb
2014-08-07, 11:13 PM
"I concur! Moving forward is a foolish risk at this condition and for absolutely naught in return anyway... at least nothing that I know of, yet.

That doesn't mean not giving credits where their due, though. We did overcame them!", the gnome suggests despite nodding in agreement.

drack
2014-08-08, 09:08 PM
Hellen, looking about, and knowing their ride was far from due, tentatively suggests. "Magical or not, that lighthouse sure sounds better then nothing right about now."

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 07:38 AM
Sperr looks around, shaking his head at the others: "You expected it to be easier than this? Aeris, if you could step over here after I get Sper patched up I can take care of those wounds, or most of them at least."
Sper mumbles a short prayer in Sylvan, a silvery mist briefly transferring from his hands to Sper, whose wounds start closing.

Vigor, lesser on Sper.
When Aeris steps over, Cure light wounds: [roll0]

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 09:30 AM
Aeris just looks at Hellen when she speaks, looking disappointed.
"Surviving as an explorer... you only take risks when you must. The lighthouse will still be there when we recover from our injuries. I'm certain that we will face plenty of challenges inside."
However, when Sperr speaks up, Aeris heads over to him.
"Magical healing does change things a bit. I believe than I can continue without undue risk, thanks to you, Sperr. Thank you. Now, the lighthouse should be further along this game trail. Everyone, keep alert."

He starts continuing down the path.

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 09:37 AM
"Well the island isn't that big, hopefully two highly intelligent predators should keep the rest away. Anyone else needs healing?" Sperr looks around at the others while petting Sper.

drack
2014-08-09, 09:44 AM
Shocked, Hellen whips around to see if Aeris was kidding. "Threats inside? It's magically powered, not magically haunted. I'm sure there are much worse threats out here in the open then there are in a nice secure building. If anything I think we should lock the doors when we get in. I mean WOLVES!?"

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 09:55 AM
Aeris sighs.
"Hellen, please learn to listen. I said that there would be challenges inside. For example, the stairway may have been made of wood, and have collapsed. There might be no stairway, and we would need to climb up. The floor might collapse. A challenge is not a threat. And what makes you think that the lights aren't caused by a group of ghosts having a party?"

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 10:04 AM
Sperr walks over to the wolves starting to tend to their injuries: "An abandoned lighthouse would also be an ideal hiding place from the elements for larger spiders. Bats and the dire variant, Owls and ditto. So I would probably advise against going into the lighthouse looking for a safe spot. Of course that would be safe for me, you are quite a bit bigger so might be advisable for you."

Lexin
2014-08-09, 11:04 AM
Boddynock sits in his saddle once again. He rides closer to Aeris and pokes him with a glowing hand.
"Anyone else needs healing?"
Lesser Vigor (11hp in 11 rounds)

drack
2014-08-09, 11:58 AM
Looking faint Hellen stumbles back. "GHOSTS! Yucky SPIDERS! By the king's name! Why didn't you tell us before we went out into the middle of nowhere with you!? What's next, your confession of being a repute bandit intent on murdering us all?"

Edit: With some sense of dignity Hellen stumbles over and presents her schreaded leg to the healer.

4HP of damages. =p

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 12:00 PM
Aeris looks at Hellen, and you can see pity in his eyes.
"Hellen, you really didn't think this through, did you? Why not just head back to the boat, and wait for the fisherman, Jack to come back, and pick you up?"

drack
2014-08-09, 12:02 PM
Not skipping a beat hellen continues her now frantic ravings. Back!? Alone!? What am I, wolf bait? What kind of a fool do you think I am?!

We're gonna die aren't we? We're gonna die. All of us are gonna die and there isn't a thing we can do about it. And you think I didn't think this out? You were the ole with this "brilliant" idea, and you just happened to forget to mention all the wolves, ghosts, and giant spiders intent on eating us all?!

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 12:08 PM
Somewhat amused Sperr chips in: "And the horse-sized bats, centipedes and possibly wolves. Aside from that Aeris didn't really asked for volunteers, he is hardly responsible for our well-being." Sperr looks at the leg and lightly pokes it, silvery mist once again transferring, but not lingering this time.

Cure minor wounds for Hellen., 1 hp. Also would it not make sense for Boddynock to not heal the already healed? Dunno how much damage Aeris took so it might be warranted.

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 12:30 PM
Aeris looks at Helen.
"Helen, calm down. Wolves don't want to eat you. If you can't handle this, just go back to the shore, and climb a tree, and wait. If you can handle this, then calm down."

drack
2014-08-09, 12:33 PM
"Not responsible!? I never would have asked everyone to come if I'd known there's be... wait, CENTIPEDES!? Can you get any grosser?" Still rambling Hellen seems to be running out of steam as she slowly sings into an ever growing pit of despair. Just what exactly had she gotten herself into this time?

Edit:

"Climb a tree? CLIMB A TREE!? THERE COULD BE SPIDERS AND CATERPILLARS IN THOSE TREES!!"

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 12:38 PM
"Hell, the worgs here are smarter than the average orc too, chances are that whatever causes the lighthouse to run powers more than just the light. Which means that it could be all sorts of creatures. Oooh maybe there will be dire slugs! I always wanted to see one of those!" Sperr slowly grinds to a stop in his efforts to save the worgs.
"Guess I should ask you before it turns into a problem, Aeris you have anything against me making sure the worgs don't die from bleeding out?"

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 12:42 PM
Aeris shakes his head, and turns his attention to Sperr.
"Worgs aren't natural creatures. They were twisted, and they kill for pleasure, not for food. If you want to save them, I don't mind, but I would recommend against it."

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 12:45 PM
Sperr shrugs: "They're no more unnatural than dragons or elves, but I would so enjoy speaking to them, perhaps seeing if they could be tamed, or at least trained. Anyone have some rope, we could tie them up and take them back with us."

drack
2014-08-09, 12:46 PM
Throwing down here hands Hellen takes a breath and adopting her old regal tone replies as if the question were to her. "Save them if you wish, but only if you can get them to agree not to try to kill us again."

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 12:47 PM
"Perhaps we can leave them here, and pick them up on the way back. We may need rope to climb the interior."

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 01:14 PM
"Oh right we can't take them on the boat, a shame. At least Sper will be bloodied this way." with a point and a command in sylvan Sperr orders Sper to finish off one of the wolves. While watching Sperr turns back to Hellen: "Do you eat the hearts of your fallen enemies where you are from?"

drack
2014-08-09, 01:25 PM
Considering it, Hellen nods. "Double roasted with a maple and black walnut glaze served alongside fresh raspberries with a bit of cilantro on the side. The deer your servants kill are "enemies" in this context right?"

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 01:49 PM
Sperr laughs a bit: "No. I was talking about other intelligent creatures: Humanoids, giants and the like."

drack
2014-08-09, 01:51 PM
"No, why would we eat them?"

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 02:05 PM
"I just heard that rumor somewhere, you mortals do many strange things.

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 02:11 PM
Aeris interrupts the fascinating conversation, having retrieved his arrows.
"In any event, we should continue moving. We don't have all day."
He starts heading down the trail once more, keeping an alert eye out for additional trouble.
[roll0] 1 retrieves
[roll1] 1 retrieves
[roll2] 1 retrieves

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 08:27 PM
Sperr follows, grinning: "Technically we DO have all day."

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 08:29 PM
Aeris glances back at him, smiling.
"True, but only after we finish what we came here to do. The downsides of exploration. Work, then relaxation."

drack
2014-08-09, 08:38 PM
"Yes yes, we've got lots of time to be killed out here by unknown horrors, now can we get inside somewhere with a semblance of safety now? By the crook of the lord of taxes' nose, just thinking of all the things that could be out here is making me like that lighthouse idea more and more by the second. If nothing else we can find a nice corner in it in which to curl up and wait for night to come... night..." Hellen's ebony skin somehow manages to grow fainter still as she begins to process exactly what that word meant.

Archmage1
2014-08-09, 08:39 PM
Aeris just shakes his head, ignoring Hellen.
I don't think she'll do this again.

drack
2014-08-09, 08:54 PM
Hellen trembles mightily with fear and cowardice.
I think they might not understand the truly mortal perral they're in, except Aeris, he must just be an idiot. There's no way we could fight off a big the size of a house, nor outrun it for that matter... Except magnus of course, he's in another league entirely as a pro after all.

Tjallen
2014-08-09, 08:58 PM
"Hellen I don't think near the mysterious magical artefact will be anything but filled with mysterious creatures to guard it from theft. Also unless you insulted the guy with the boat enough to make him leave us I think we aren't spending the night." Sperr starts whistling a tune while looking around happily.

drack
2014-08-09, 09:20 PM
"Me? Stop spouting nonsense spurr, had you just apologized to the man normally he may not have taken offense. I swear, blaming your actions on a young maiden is one of the lowest and most pathetic ways to try to talk your way out of the trouble your ill manner causes.

In any case, that's not what I'd do if I were a magical creature. Why would I devote my life to defending some dumb old artifact when I could be out hunting midgets and dogs for food? If anything I'd probably steer clear least some lord wants said artifact and sends an army. As a human however I'd rather deal with the lord's armies myself, so it's probably safer that way. If Magnus and I shout we may have a better chance of, at the very least, surviving this encounter. Ultimately however, the discussion falls to Magnus as he has the most experience in these sorts of situations, though we may have need to temper his bold suggestions least he take us too far from our depth with his mighty heroism."

Slowly she turns her trusting, young, innocent eyes to the mage hero who would surely know best.

ben-zayb
2014-08-09, 11:44 PM
Magnus jumps at the opportunity to make him the center of attention, but he had one problem—he knows absolutely nil concerning this kind of situation at all!

Instead, with nearly an inaudible whisper, he weaves a surprisingly-not-longwinded, cautionary, vaguely heroic tale that will likely serve to save his own ass.

"Goldbach's Expedition. You know... same old, same old—rich merchant hiring adventurers, ragtag bunch of misfits, predators out to kill you, poisonous plants, dangerous terrain, and all kinds of unbelievable crap that you will only likely hear out of a terrible literary work. I was but a foolish and reckless lad back then. We seriously never had a chance, but one way or another, we managed to overcome most of those challenges.

Well... we did, until the group started bickering and blaming amongst themselves. And ultimately, miscommunication and uncoordination left us with naught but two survivors and a failed expedition. From a well-oiled automaton of a group, to a discarded carcass of mess, just because we can't keep our pride tucked inside our mouth.

I guess, what I'm trying to say here is that, you probably wouldn't want your supposed grand tale of death be reduced to something as petty and unheroic as 'And then our heroes died due to inner strife'.

As for our journey, if everybody is physically capable of moving on, then I see no more reasons to delay further."

drack
2014-08-10, 12:07 AM
Hellen smiled. It all made so much more sense when Magnus said it. "Ah, so sperr shouldn't keep bringing up his humiliation, and I should stop making him feel bad about it. It's not like him being such a crude insensitive jerk really mattered in earnest. At the end of the day it'll all come down to survival, so I shouldn't let him get to me or try to save him from himself if it leads to conflict in such pressing times, I should instead rest assured that he'd be the one we were burying in the end of the day when his comments finally did him in,saving the rest of us good honorable folk to live on. Maybe he'd been orphoned and left for dead as a kid only to be raised by savage wildmen who knew nothing of decency, or perhaps he'd been imprisoned for a crime he'd never commited, left to rot in a cell until his brain was baked and any courtesy or kindness in his manner lost."

Hellen's fantasy #1

The boy stood there in a state of shocked nothingness as he watched his parents heads swing gently back and forth, their hair clutched in the big beefy hand of a giant. The Giant was covered in excessive quantities of fat with long whisker-like hairs protruding all across his bear body, never gathering into tufts. A satchel of wine sloshed dully when he moved, and his breath reeked as if something had died in there, and it probably had by the sneer that never left his face. Grunting incomprehensible the man said something, but the child did not hear. He did not notice the foul stench, or even the giant's presence, for to him in that instance all that existed were the heads of his parents, rocking back and forth in the air like a chime in the wind as occasional trickles of gore fell from their severed necks.

The giant spoke again, louder, and when the boy failed to respond the giant clubbed him on the back of the head, and darkness finally swallowed those faces that had once loved him, that had once been so tender and full of life, yet which now held only fear and pain. A fear and pain of their own lingering from their last moments, and a sense offer and pain that their memory would bestow upon the boy for years to come.

Over the years the boy grew up amongst them, performing chores and always bowing to his masters, he even learned their gargled and foul speech, their inconceivably inappropriate attitudes, and their total lack of the higher social graces.

In time the boy grew weary of the orders. He'd learned from his masters that one's self was all that mattered, and any who got in the way, be they servants or betters, they had to die. In the night he fled and never looked back, vowing never to admit defeat or fault, to never take responsibility for his actions, and to never again accept the viewpoints of others no matter how reasonable they may seem.

Hellen's fantasy #2

It was a pleasant summer, and young Spurr was off fetching bread from the markets for his parents.

It was then that he saw the girl in the marketplace, running down an alleyway, followed by three large men. Feeling particularly gallant that day Spurr fearlessly strode down the alleyway on the heels of the men. When they came to a stop, grabbing a loaf of bread and an apple from the girl, Spurr drew his knife. He had no idea whatsoever how to use the tool, but he held it in a threatening manner and tried his best to keep his voice steady as he told the men to return the goods and run if they wanted to live. He'd seen traveling performers say the line in a play the other day and, fresh in his mind as it was, it was the only thing he could think of.

Apparently it worked all the same though, as the men quickly returned the goods and ran, just in time for the guards to round the corner and find young Spurr with a knife drawn, and some food in hand standing above a young girl in somewhat torn clothing starring up with a look of both fear and uncertainty. It didn't take the guards long to conclude Spurr had drawn a knife on the girl, begun stealing her groceries, then had decided he wanted more then produce from the young girl. Returning his groceries to the girl they thought he had stolen them from, the guards hurried Spurr off to a cell where he was quickly forgotten about.

Anna Lindenbell was perhaps the least fortunate of an already miserable crowd. She was the daughter of an ugly whore, and her mother had died shortly after childbirth, stabbed just below the ribs by a dissatisfied customer. Young Anna had grown up on the streets after that, having experienced every sort of misfortune that such a life entails. Stealing for food during the day and being passed around at night by whomever felt like sharing their bed. She had no choice, else she'd have frozen to death long ago. Then there was that day, that one day. She was about to be caught and beaten again for stealing when some young punk with a knife nosed in. She was sure he was about to do allot worse then just beat her, she'd heard of those kinds of people, they liked their knives, liked the pain that only a sharp enough blade could bring to their victims. She'd had friends who'd encountered such people, though they'd all turned up dead at the end of an ally before the night was through.

It was then that the guards had arrived, not only carting off the fearsome ruffian, but also giving her more food rather then taking what little she had. For one day all had finally gone right. That night however others noticed she had extra food, and after she was killed for not having "paid the tax" as some called it when they weren't given any excess food, she'd been stabbed and left to die leading against a building in the passages under the streets.

__________________________________________________ ___

It would all be cleared up. It would all go away. They'd made a mistake. Someone would clear it up. The girl, she'd speak up, tell them how he'd saved her. He'd be out of here in no time! That's what he made himself believe for the first two days before his stomach was eating him from the inside out. By the fourth day he could do little more then lie on the floor all day, and it was then that he learned of rats. When he wasn't agitated and walking around, when he looked dead, or at least near to it, they'd come out, they'd approach him, and after another day or two he managed to catch one, devouring it raw and eating all the flesh, even a few bits he probably shouldn't have.

For years he lived this way, laying down whether he slept or work, always reaching for the rats when he saw them, or waiting until they came to him if they were too far. The window which had at first been a blessing soon became a curse as the hot sun baked into him, and heated the cell into a furnace all through the day. Soon he would no longer swear so dehydrated was he. He began licking dew from about his window in the mornings, drinking every drop of fluid from his rats, and even breathing less to conserve water and energy.

It was then that the madness slowly crept upon him and immersed him in itself. Staring at a wall a floor and waiting for rats would drive any sane man mad, and sane Spurr had been... once. The unending torment warped his senses and perceptions as he stayed in that cell for years until someone, mistaking him for dead, took him out back and quietly buried him in a shallow grave.

It had taken Spurr a moment to realize that he was no longer in his cell, that the wall and floor were gone. While he conserved his energy and waited for a rat he began to notice he wasn't breathing, there was dirt in his mouth, a moist soil. WATER! Dully he sucked on the raw earth trying to glean what moisture he could until at last he could take no more. Bursting forth from the ground as one far from truly alive, Spurr gasped for breath.

It had not been easy to come so far as he had, to regain this semblance of reason, of cognition, and what little he had was nothing to sneeze at for it was a mountain built of fine grands of sand carefully stacked together, a building built from nothing, truly a miracle of nature no matter how crude, disrespectful, or unruly.

"It all makes so much more sense now!" Hellen exclaims. "But Magnus, you never told us which way we should go or if we should scout first..."

ben-zayb
2014-08-10, 12:44 AM
Magnus momentarily steps back into the shadow to shake his head in vexation, thinking, Oh, boy. This adventure might kill me, after all!

Stepping back, he responds to Hellen in a shaky, unsure, voice. "Well, you see, I'm neither a navigator nor a tracker. But this is what I meant by working together efficiently. Sperr has a companion that is likely far better at trailing by scent than us."

drack
2014-08-10, 12:53 AM
Taking the mage's stepping back into the darkness as an answer, Hellen too vanishes into the forest, looking ahead of the party for unseen obstacles.

hide [roll0]
spot [roll1]
listen [roll2]

You know, you'd think I'd at least have taken spot as an archer....

Tjallen
2014-08-10, 05:55 AM
"Sper is going to stay right here where I can see him, besides Hellen went to scout and since she embraces the better part of valor I doubt she will get hurt. But of course we can always heal her if something happens." The last part is said with a grin.

Archmage1
2014-08-10, 10:17 AM
Aeris looks back at the bickering group.
"If you want to stand there and bicker, you can, but I'm heading to the lighthouse."
With that, he continues down the path.

drack
2014-08-11, 12:15 AM
Seeing the man's resolve, Hellen turns once more to the expert for a decisive an knowledgeable answer.

Lexin
2014-08-11, 06:19 AM
Boddynock just looks back and forth at the people talking, trying to survive despite his splitting headache.
When he sees Aeris going away, he follows, hoping that he would either go out of range of bickering, or that it would stop when they all move.

ben-zayb
2014-08-12, 10:23 AM
Like a mentor that only appears to dispense kernels of wisdom when the heroes needed them the most, Magnus once again disappears from view as he follows Aeris... from a safe distance, of course.

Tjallen
2014-08-12, 03:48 PM
While walking Sperr notices the lack of Magnus and turns to Hellen as she seems to know about him: "So Hellen where did our dear legend go?"

drack
2014-08-12, 05:17 PM
That's just his amazing heroic might. He's turned invisible to better scout!

Guess I'll be scouting after all. I suppose I'll just use the rolls above to make it easy.

rweird
2014-08-14, 11:41 AM
Helen and Magnus go on ahead, unseen by any, even each other. They find nothing of note, besides bark being missing from various trees, as if some creature scratched it off. The path steers sharply westward (the lighthouse is at the northernmost tip of the island). Where the path turns, dried blood is smeared across a pair of trees whose branches cover the path, and a number of bones dangle from the branches from finely woven string (Knowledge Nature/Heal could reveal more about the bones).

drack
2014-08-14, 12:49 PM
Hellen remains hidden, continuing to scout, intending to stay somewhat ahead of the party.
Hellen isn't trained in any knowledge checks, so unless it's a DC10 (more or less common sense) I won't bother. =p

Archmage1
2014-08-14, 01:04 PM
Unaware of his scouting allies, Aeris keeps moving up the trail, walking quietly, and keeping his eyes open.

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 12:22 PM
"So Aeris, why is it you want to see this lighthouse again?" Sperr asks as he looks around from atop Sper.

Didn't quite catch if everyone saw the bones or just the scouts, but know nature just in case:[roll0]

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 12:24 PM
"It's unusual. I felt that finding out why might be an interesting afternoon or two."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 12:26 PM
"So this your first time doing the whole adventurer thing?"

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 12:28 PM
Aeris shakes his head.
"Hardly. It has simply been the most risky so far. Normally, I use stealth and avoid combat. Unfortunately, in this case, that hasn't been possible."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 12:34 PM
"I was never much for stealth, Sper isn't very good at it either. What do you plan on doing after this?"

rweird
2014-08-17, 12:40 PM
Sperr:
There are a number of different types of bones, the majority seem to be humanoid, a few seem to be of canines of some sort, and there is a big fractured skull you can'y identify due to fractures, although you conclude it is definitely too large for a human.

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 12:44 PM
Looking at the bones for a moment Sperr looks back to Aeris: "Also whoever made that nice little ward promises death to everyone entering, we are not welcome here by any definition of the word. Leaving would be my advise."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 12:44 PM
Aeris shrugs.
"Move on to another area, and see if there is anything interesting there. I'm mostly trying to see the world, so I don't have any destination in mind."
As he finishes saying this, he comes across the trees, with the dangling bones.
"Well, that's certainly interesting. It looks like someone certainly lives here, and isn't too particular about visitors. Unfortunate, really, assuming this path really does go to the lighthouse, since whomever made this display is probably going to be there as well. If you want to turn back, feel free, but I'm going to continue on, as this becomes more interesting with every new discovery.

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 12:55 PM
Sperr just shakes his head: "Splitting up would probably be a worse idea, besides I am sure our resident hero and hero-in-training are sure to be able to keep us safe. Ish."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 12:59 PM
Aeris just laughs at that.
"You believe that boaster?"

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 01:27 PM
Sperr smirks at the comment: "I believe that forcing him to prove himself has it's merits. Especially since it seems to keep Hellen entertained."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 01:31 PM
"Entertained? I suppose that's one way to describe that harpy."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 01:35 PM
"Well I just don't see how she ever reached adulthood with that personality, don't you have thinning of your young?"

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 01:39 PM
Aeris shakes his head.
"No, my people don't, each child is precious. I think she's here because no one where she came from could stand her, and the villagers were planning on lynching her at their first opportunity."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 01:44 PM
"Each child? Don't you mean each useful child is precious? Hah, sounds like it might still happen, hopefully she runs across some of your royalty." Sperr looks around the area as he speaks, looking for any signs of living things.

[roll0]

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 01:46 PM
Aeris shakes his head again.
"No, each child. My people live for centuries, but children are rare, and precious."

rweird
2014-08-17, 02:07 PM
Sperr:
A pair of owls, one perched in the branches of each tree, peer down at you. A third owl flies up through the canopy, westward, a bit further beyond the bone trees.

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 02:17 PM
"You do have a point, low lifespans makes children more valuable. So owls in the middle of the day, that's not ominous or anything." Sperr gestures towards the birds.

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 02:21 PM
"It is a bit unusual, but owls need to sleep as well. Curious, aren't they? Regardless, they don't seem to be attacking, so let's just leave them alone."
Aeris continues up the trail, keeping alert for signs of danger.

drack
2014-08-17, 02:24 PM
Hellen, meanwhile, continues to take the right flank... She hoped magnus had taken the left, after all it'd be kind of silly for them both to be on the same flank right? =p

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 02:38 PM
"Training owls is not that hard, if time consuming, so we are most likely going to be walking into a trap. Thorns, the road is most likely the second least safe place on this island."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 02:44 PM
"If we leave it, we're almost certain to get lost. If we're careful, and alert, the risk should be manageable. If the owls are trained, well, perhaps their trainer might be interesting to talk to."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 02:50 PM
"Actually I should be able to find my way around, I AM a druid after all. But I thought I would warn you. Meeting a hostile animal tamer does not sound too fun, but interesting might be the right word. Best of luck in the coming battle."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 02:51 PM
"What makes you assume the tamer is hostile?"
Aeris pauses for a moment, thinking.
"Do you think you can tell if these owls have been trained?"

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 02:54 PM
"The bones of both humanoids and animals, you don't usually make that kind of decorations to tell people to waltz in, you make it to scare them off, a warning sign if you will."
Sperr looks at the birds again, trying to figure out if they act natural or not.

Nature: [roll0]
Survival if applicable: [roll1]

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 02:58 PM
Aeris shakes his head, disagreeing with Sperr's conclusions.
"It could also be a shrine. I'll admit, it's a good reason to be cautious, but it's quite possible that the bones were found, not made."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 03:34 PM
"A bit strange for a shrine to be in the middle of the road though."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 03:36 PM
"Not really. Paths lead somewhere, and this might be the where."

Aeris investigates the shrine, trying to see waht he can learn about it.

[roll0] know: Arcana
[roll1] spellcraft

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 04:24 PM
"Well, betcha a drink when we get back to the inn that whomever made this is hostile, with a chance of trying to kill us." Sperr jokes as he looks at the warning-sign-that-is-not-a-shrine-in-the-least.

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 04:29 PM
"And that's why we'll be proceeding cautiously."

rweird
2014-08-17, 05:04 PM
Sperr:
The owl flying in the day is abnormal, as are owls living so closely too each other, especially by a path, that presumably is frequented more commonly than other places. All together, not something natural.

((OoC: What was that Survival check for?))

Aeris:
Your spellcraft reveals no magic about this, just bones, some broken, being hung from trees, it seems mundane, abet ominous, or if there is magic, it is not obvious.

You do know, however, that magic related to bones exists, especially skulls, some being able to hold magic, based on skull size. Various rituals to Orcus, and other evil powers involve bones, although this is often thematic, while the power within is debated. Magic can create undead out of bones (skeletons, although they require mainly intact bodies), along with a few constructs. Various talismans exist throughout the world including bones (typically animal ones) that are supposed to ward off misfortune, bring luck, or other useful things, the actual benefit of such talismans is debated by mages, as is the magic. Bones, in all these capacities, often have writing or engravings on them

While these things all are possible, hanging bones on a tree is uncommon for any of these besides being used as a warning or decoration.

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 05:07 PM
"Yeah, trained or magical owls, bad omen. Careful is wise. Maybe we should tell the two 'heroes' that too."

Same thing as with the knowledge check, survival is rarely used and it's a shame, so decided to throw in a survival check.

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 05:11 PM
"Interesting. Well, perhaps it's time to just head to the lighthouse, assuming you can take us north. We might learn more about this there. Or maybe not."

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 05:14 PM
"Well both are pretty likely to be dangerous, so either or has a chance of imminent death."

Archmage1
2014-08-17, 05:16 PM
Aeris shakes his head.
"All right then. Why don't you start up the path again, and then the rest of us will follow nearby. Try not to start any fights."
With that, he heads into the underbrush, paralleling the path.
[roll0] hide
[roll1] move silently

Tjallen
2014-08-17, 05:19 PM
Sperr looks a bit perplexed: "I am very very much against this idea, hopefully it is another druid and this can be resolved peacefully." He does continue on down the path though.

ben-zayb
2014-08-17, 10:52 PM
Magnus actually ends up trailing behind the whole group after everyone caught up with each other. He decides to not be an idiot today and follow the Sperr, the one who seems least likely to get lost.

After shaking off being creeped out by the trail of assorted bones, he manages to calm himself enough to recall any possible knowledge about them.Arcana: [roll0]
History: [roll1]
Religion: [roll2]
the Planes: [roll3]

rweird
2014-08-22, 02:27 PM
Magnus:
You cannot recall any arcane or planar significance of bones hanging from trees.

In darker religions, bones are used in rituals (though no-one was ever clear on exactly what the rituals were, or the use of the bones, some things, people just don't want to be caught knowing), and sometimes are animated into undead.

In history, the less-than-embodiments-of-righteousness have at times, been known to display bones, corpses, bodies, and other generally unpleasant things as warnings or means of intimidation. Some cultures (across the sea, but at the edge of the Brokenlands, similar practices have been reported), believe, or have believed, that bones (especially the skull or ribcage) are houses of the soul, and either consolidate them in a place to pay respects to the dearly departed, or placing bones to act as charms, thinking the souls of their ancestors will protect them, typically at the edge of a house, property, town, or entrance to something considered significant. Broken bones of enemies in areas often seen by potential enemies (often boarders along a path), as a warning of what will happen (that they will kill you and break your soul).

drack
2014-08-25, 07:36 PM
Hellen continues leading up the group, blissfully ignorant that her hero is hiding in the back of the group.

rweird
2014-08-25, 08:06 PM
Helen:
You come to a fork in the trail, one branch goes forwards and slightly northwards and upwards, the other turns southwards and down.

The Party (sans Helen):
Sper sniffs the air uneasily as you press forward down a short hill.

Magnus:
On lurking in the bushes at the edge of the path, you notice a pair of humanoids lurking, one on each side. They wear hides and leaves, and blend in quite well.

Aeris:
On lurking in the bushes at the edge of the path, you notice a pair of humanoids lurking, one on each side. They wear hides and leaves, and blend in quite well.

Perched on a branch some 20 ft up is a third figure, leaning against the trunk of a tree, clad in a cloak much the color or tree bark, holding a longbow.

Sperr:

Boddynock:
Rocinante is also uneasy.

Bard:
You cannot think of good rhyme with Sper, you suppose you could say he growled, or said gerr, but that isn't very good. Perhaps this incident is better to leave out of your tale.

Archmage1
2014-08-25, 08:08 PM
Aeris freezes, and prepares to shoot the one with the longbow, if he decides to attack.

drack
2014-08-25, 08:33 PM
Hellen makes sure the group is still following before heading towards the lighthouse.

ben-zayb
2014-08-25, 10:11 PM
Magnus tries to keep an eye on the shadows, and with as much dignity and calmness as he could muster, whispered to the others, "We got company."

Tjallen
2014-08-28, 07:28 AM
Looking around Sperr sighs before stopping and motioning to the hidden figures the universal 'I am not armed please don't kill me' signal that is holding out his open hands to show he does not have weapons before gesturing for them that he has indeed seen them.

rweird
2014-08-28, 02:59 PM
Suddenly, there is a rustling in the bushes as if something is making ready to pounce.

Magnus, Sperr:
The creatures in the bushes are 30 ft ahead of you.

Aeris:
The creatures in the bushes are 30 ft ahead of you. In the trees above 40 ft away and 20 ft up, the figure with the bow begins to draw.

Surprise Round: Aeris, Magnus, Sperr, ???, and Lurkers get to act before normal combat begins, this will be in normal initiative order, so Magnus and Aeris can beat all your foes in acting, Sperr goes after ???, but before Lurkers.

Initiative:
Magnus: 19
Bard: 18
???: 14
Sperr: 12
Boddynock: 10
Lurkers: 9
Helen: 0

The path is 5 ft wide, and normal terrain, it is straight, on either side of the path is light undergrowth and normal trees, although behind you 20 ft, and ahead of you 40 ft, both to the south, are 5-ft trees.

Helen:
They appear to have stopped near the top of a small hill you just came down, Sperr is holding out his open hands. Magnus and Aeris are nowhere to be seen, so probably unseen, somewhere. You are 30 ft past the 5-ft tree ahead of the party (west), and off the path 10 ft to the south.

Archmage1
2014-08-28, 03:10 PM
Seeing the man with the bow drawing his weapon, Aeris beats him to it, and swiftly lets loose his arrow, sending the glowing arrow at the man.

[roll0] attack
[roll1] damage
Cold iron, using inspiration to enhance damage and attack