PDA

View Full Version : Lemme drink my potions!!!

Cowboy_ninja
2007-02-25, 06:12 PM
-is there a way to drink a potions WITHOUT provoking an attack of opportunity? like drinking defensively or something?

or

-is there some potion drinking strategy that D&D newbies (like me) dont know about? its lame going "oh i need a potion" -sip- smack- dead. i go to keep from getting thrown into the negatives and i provoke an aop that does just that!

oriong
2007-02-25, 06:13 PM
Take a 5 foot step.

Koji
2007-02-25, 06:14 PM
Try making a withdraw action (a move that provokes no AOOs) to get away, and drinking a potion the next round.

OR put some ranks into tumble, and jump away like a ninny as you quaff your drink. Quick draw helps with this if the DM rules that it applies to potions and similar objects, too.

Amiria
2007-02-25, 06:22 PM
With a potion belt or masterwork potion belt (FRCS) you can draw a potion as a free action once per round. This doesn't help avoiding the AoO when you drink it, but it is a useful item nontheless.

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 06:23 PM
A. There is a restricted withdraw that lets you move your speed instead of double. Withdraw and drink.

B. Declare that you are NOT putting your potions in your bag. Buy a heward's handy haversack as soon as possible, or its cheap version: the bandoleer. You can run and gulp all in one round.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-25, 06:26 PM
As a GM, I'd rule you can drink and not provoke an attack of opportunity as long as you take a five foot step, as OrionG stated. Otherwise, you've got to realize you're sticking out your neck as you're chugging that potion down. Sorry, there aren't any feats available which actively let you do this.

Although, try running this by your DM:

Chug Champion
Requirement: Dex 13+
Benefit: Drinking a potion is a Swift Action.

He might let you get away with that.

oriong
2007-02-25, 06:27 PM
Where is this restricted withdraw from? It seems to be negating the whole point of the normal withdraw option.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-02-25, 06:27 PM
A. There is a restricted withdraw that lets you move your speed instead of double. Withdraw and drink.

B. Declare that you are NOT putting your potions in your bag. Buy a heward's handy haversack as soon as possible, or its cheap version: the bandoleer. You can run and gulp all in one round.

where can i find this Bandoleer?

edit: as in what book......

RandomNPC
2007-02-25, 06:33 PM
where can i find this Bandoleer?

try the general store

Cowboy_ninja
2007-02-25, 06:33 PM
With a potion belt or masterwork potion belt (FRCS) you can draw a potion as a free action once per round. This doesn't help avoiding the AoO when you drink it, but it is a useful item nontheless.

what is FRCS?

oriong
2007-02-25, 06:34 PM
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-25, 06:35 PM
It's called a 5 foot step.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-02-25, 06:39 PM
ok well my current predicament is this:

my character is at -1 prone and dying. however my ally dragon shaman has that regeneration aura on.

what would you do?

i'll be at 0 hp next round (stabalized) i cant get up (aop) cant drink potion (aop) do i get a free 5ft step when im disabled?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 06:41 PM
No, there isn't.

[hr]There is no rule that lets you "drink defensively". Though I'd consider a house rule allowing this and maybe some other actions that normally provoke an unavoidable Attack of Opportunity do be done defensively. It would actually give Concentration a use outside of spellcasting. Maybe give reasons for Monks and other non-spellcasting classes with Concentration as a class skill an actual reason to invest a few ranks in it, too.

Though I'd have to figure out appropriate penalties for failure. As it is, if you have a high AC when you cast a spell, you might be willing to suck up the AoOs so you don't risk losing the spell. If there's not a similar penalty, there's no reason not to do one of these other actions defensively.

Maybe: "Action is extended to a full-round action and if you fail, you simply cannot do whatever it was you were attempting to do. You can try again the next round."

Not as severe as losing a spell, but it works for actions that don't have a direct analogue.

(Yeah, the actual subject matter—drinking a potion—it's easy to say, "You spill it all over yourself when you fail," but I'm extending the general case a bit here...)

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 06:46 PM
The bandoleer is also in Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

Restricted withdraw is the last paragraph of withdraw in the combat actions section of the PHB. Only its also a standard action. Hence you cannot make a restricted withdraw and drink a portion. You can however make a restricted withdraw then run for your life. LOLz.

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 06:47 PM
ok well my current predicament is this:

my character is at -1 prone and dying. however my ally dragon shaman has that regeneration aura on.

what would you do?

i'll be at 0 hp next round (stabalized) i cant get up (aop) cant drink potion (aop) do i get a free 5ft step when im disabled?

The five foot crawl provokes an attack of opportunity too.

oriong
2007-02-25, 06:48 PM
No, a restricted Withdraw is like a Partial Charge, it's something you can only do if you are limited to taking just a standard action on your turn, it is not something normally available in a full turn.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 06:49 PM
Restricted withdraw is the last paragraph of withdraw in the combat actions section of the PHB. Only its also a standard action. Hence you cannot make a restricted withdraw and drink a portion. You can however make a restricted withdraw then run for your life. LOLz.
That's like a charge. You can only do that when restricted to a standard action or less.

Scalenex
2007-02-25, 07:00 PM
You know those beer hats? Do that only for potions

Stevenson
2007-02-25, 07:04 PM
Well, as for the battle at hand, just, as said like eight times, take a five foot step. However, for next battles, you can use an alchemical tooth (complete adventurer). The reason I know about it is there's a person in my group who's a pain about this stuff. Alchemical tooth is a tooth with any potion in it, and it can be drank as a swift action.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 07:16 PM
You know those beer hats? Do that only for potions
Hey! That was in Dragon magazine once!

Granted, it was an April Fool's article, but who cares about that?

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 07:19 PM
As he's prone, he can't make a five foot step. He is screwed. LOLz.

Thomas
2007-02-25, 07:41 PM
Take a 5 foot step.

It's called a 5 foot step.

^^ The correct answer.

Step, drink, done.

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 07:45 PM
As he's prone, he can't make a five foot step. He is screwed. LOLz.

unless he just lays there an plays dead :smallwink:

Ask your DM if you can make a bluff check every round to play dead if your opponent fails a sense motive check he will not be alowed to attack you.

oriong
2007-02-25, 07:49 PM
In this situation your best bet is probably to just go on total defense, let the regenerating aura get you above 0 at least and hopefully someone else lures the enemy away from you. If it's late in the battle and things look mostly won just stay on the defensive and wait him out. The best you can probably hope for from a potion is about 18 hit points, and that's not really enough to put you back in the fight unless you're low level.

So keep your head down and stay on the defensive until someone else can heal you, or you're out of your threatened area.

Orzel
2007-02-25, 08:03 PM
Other option: Kill everything that threatens you in melee and drink.

A bit harder than a 5' step though.

SpiderBrigade
2007-02-25, 08:15 PM
Well, as for the battle at hand, just, as said like eight times, take a five foot step. However, for next battles, you can use an alchemical tooth (complete adventurer). The reason I know about it is there's a person in my group who's a pain about this stuff. Alchemical tooth is a tooth with any potion in it, and it can be drank as a swift action.

Plus, then every time you're wounded and in need of a potion you can have a flashback/voiceover to the tune of

"The tooth...remember the tooth..."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 08:18 PM
Step, drink, done.
Not always an option.

Plus, then every time you're wounded and in need of a potion you can have a flashback/voiceover to the tune of

"The tooth...remember the tooth..."
Okay, alluding to the book: fine.

Not so sure about referencing the movie though. I only saw about 20 minutes of the thing, and I already know there's way too many voiceovers.

Collin152
2007-02-25, 08:20 PM
Hmm... HOw many Alchemical tooths can you have installed at once? Cn I just get a set of alchemical dentures?

Necrosis
2007-02-25, 08:22 PM
the above prone situation is why I run a house stateing that you can crawel as a 5 foot step! Otherwise been prone + 8 1st level kolbolds = death!

oriong
2007-02-25, 08:25 PM
Not really, it's not as though you're helpless when you're prone, just disadvantaged. Besides if there are 8 first level kobolds on you then it doesn't matter whether or not crawling provokes and AoO, there's nowhere to crawl to.

Stevenson
2007-02-25, 08:51 PM
Hmm... HOw many Alchemical tooths can you have installed at once? Cn I just get a set of alchemical dentures?

If the powergamer is to be believed, only one. The teeth use like a voidspace thing (akin to a bag of holding is what I assume that means.), so it holds enough potion to actually be effective. And if there are two of those close enough to each other they like rend the space-time continuum or something. So one.

oriong
2007-02-25, 08:55 PM
...not at all. Alchemical Teeth aren't even magical items, they're perfectly mundane. However only one can be worn at one time, there's no real explanation for why this is the case.

Renegade Paladin
2007-02-25, 08:59 PM
unless he just lays there an plays dead :smallwink:

Ask your DM if you can make a bluff check every round to play dead if your opponent fails a sense motive check he will not be alowed to attack you.
Unless, of course, your enemies have brains and stick a sword in anyone on the ground just to make sure.

Stevenson
2007-02-25, 09:02 PM
Well, that's more borderline paranoia than brains, but hey.

Well then he was just making stuff up. Either way, just one I guess. Also, I'm not quite sure if using healing tiles provokes an AoO or not. If not, then that's the way to go.

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:09 PM
Well in a combat situation you normally wait till the end of a fight to do the sticking your sword in a person so if you still have a few living team mates then reasonably the people who were fooled shouldn’t attack you :smallwink: (reasonably but since when was a DM reasonable)

Mewtarthio
2007-02-25, 09:28 PM

Can you get that with poisons? Like, say, an airborne poison that can be released if you're captured?

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:36 PM
Can you get that with poisons? Like, say, an airborne poison that can be released if you're captured?

yes and no the original capsules you could not do that. However there was an update in another book (can remeber which) that alowed you to have 1 inhaled poison in the tooth and you could spit it like that at close range.

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 09:38 PM
I think he meant, to kill himself with in case he was being interrogated.

Stevenson
2007-02-25, 09:44 PM
In that case, it could just be a potion of inflict _____ wounds. No need for fancy shmancy inhaled poisons.

oriong
2007-02-25, 09:45 PM
You can put poisons into the capsule just fine, however it explicitly states that they cannot be used to deliver poisons with a bite or anything similar. Reasonably there's no reason why you could not kill yourself with an ingested or contact poison just fine, and reasonably since one dose of inhaled poison can fill a 10 foot cube there's no reason it could not be held and released in the tooth.

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:48 PM
You can put poisons into the capsule just fine, however it explicitly states that they cannot be used to deliver poisons with a bite or anything similar. Reasonably there's no reason why you could not kill yourself with an ingested or contact poison just fine, and reasonably since one dose of inhaled poison can fill a 10 foot cube there's no reason it could not be held and released in the tooth.

Well as far as the original tooth it does actualy reffer to useing it to kill yourself and you can keep 1 injested poison in the tooth to kill yourself. however to release the posion you need the special tooth (now i will go find it in my many books :smalltongue: )

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 10:03 PM
Found it (I can’t believe I forgot where it was :smallannoyed: ) It is in Complete scoundrel and is the toxic tooth. It allows you to have a single contact poison or inhaled poison in the tooth. You may then bite down on the tooth and spit that poison at an adjacent foe. You roll a ranged touch attack if you succeed they are effected however in the use of the tooth you to are effected by the poison.

kamikasei
2007-02-25, 10:04 PM

If this leads in to the story of young Pun Atreides, dispossessed kobold aristocrat, his adventures with the desert tribes and his eventual apotheosis, I will hurt you.

Aquillion
2007-02-25, 10:45 PM
Ok, yes, the five-foot-step idea has some possibilities, but it lacks class. I think we should do this in style.

First, several weeks before you want to drink the potion, you should cast the divine version of Genesis: Here (http://boards1.wizards.com/leaving.php?destination=http://srd.pbemnexus.com/divineNewSpells.html%23genesis). Most of you are probably familiar with the psionic genesis spell; the divine version has a few minor differences. For instance, it costs 5000xp instead of 1000, creates a smaller area, and doesn't grow over time. Oh, and it doesn't have any bothersome restrictions about the time trait, nor any annoying wording preventing you from making a demiplane out of silver or uranium. So, naturally, we're going to make where time passes unimaginably fast, and we're going to make it out of solid gold. We want to have a nice, pleasant environment to drink our potion in, don't we?

Now, with our massive amount of gold, we can afford anything. If necessary, we can buy a million scrolls of Genesis to create more solid-gold demiplanes to fund our potion-drinking endeavors. So we won't go into detail on how we get all the spells involved--we can buy scrolls or hire people to cast them for us, whatever. In fact, we'll say we cast the original Genesis from an item or hired someone to cast it for us, too... it's a big initial investment, but obviously we make it back immediately, and we want psionics instead of divine magic for various reasons below.

Now. We have a good place to drink our potion in, but we need good companionship. And what better companionship than, oh, say, ourselves? Using our limitless wealth, we hire a small--no, a large--army from around the planes. In the essentially unlimited time provided by the accelerated gold pocket-dimension we created, we Mind Seed each of these hirelings, giving them lesser versions of our own abilities. They won't automatically be loyal to us, but since they get our mind it's safe to assume that they will share our vision for the grandeur of our goal. Plus, at eight levels below us, they're probably not going to have any powers necessary to get out of solid-gold-land without our help.

Since they are eight levels below us, they can start learning other things to replace those old levels immediately--have them fight each other to the death for experience if necessary. Most of them should put the levels they gain from this into classes appropriate for alchemical pursuits (you didn't think we were just going to -buy- a potion, did you?), but the rest can work on crafting to produce a solid gold chalice and throne. Actually, if you get a few high enough, they could Wish (fine, Reality Revision) for a throne and chalice, but then we're limited to producing things with a value of 25,000 gold each unless we create magic items--although, technically, I suppose they could wish for the objects in 25,000-value parts, then assemble them.

Anyway, once they're high enough level again, have your mind-clones learn Psychic Reformation and Psychic Chirurgery; they use Psychic Reformation to learn any powers you don't have, and Psychic Chiurgery to give them to you (note that they pay all the xp costs involved, not you.) Repeat until you know every psychic power in existence. This part technically isn't necessary, but we have to be someone worthy of drinking the potion, don't you think?

With everything set up, we leave our solid gold fortress of solitude for a moment and go adventuring in the prime material plane. It's beneath us now, but we need to be in a position to provoke an attack of opportunity in order to satisfy the original requirements. We get into a fight with a low-level monster. When threatened, we manifest Temporal Acceleration, then use Reality Revision (or whatever) to get back to our gold dimension. Once there, we have our mind-clones line up into perfect rows on either side of our throne, seat ourselves, and let loose a long, evil laugh (this is mandatory even if technically good-aligned) before drinking the potion from our solid gold chalice. If you want to get fancy, you could simply set things up in the Temporal Acceleration round to kill the low-level monster in the following round, then take his skull back and have your suitably-skilled mind-clones make a chalice out of it to drink the potion from. Make certain that the monster you choose to fight has a skull, or you'll have to invest in some form of polymorphing to transform them into something with a skull.

Total costs:

Hiring someone to cast Divine version of Genesis: 26,620 gold.
Hiring, say, a million untrained hirelings to mind seed them: 1 million sp.*
Drinking the potion from the skull of your enemy while seated on a solid gold throne surrounded only by your mental equals: Priceless.

(*Actually performing the mind seeds would take much longer than one day, but you'll have them in your solid gold dimension by then, so who cares?)

Mewtarthio
2007-02-25, 10:54 PM
One problem: Would you be willing to play second fiddle to a maniacal overlord as he drinks from a solid gold chalice that you hand him? Then why would your Mind Seed clones?

Also, you forgot to take into account the XP cost for Mind Seeding everyone. It's 3000 XP per hireling. Ouch.

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 10:58 PM
One problem: Would you be willing to play second fiddle to a maniacal overlord as he drinks from a solid gold chalice that you hand him? Then why would your Mind Seed clones?

Also, you forgot to take into account the XP cost for Mind Seeding everyone. It's 3000 XP per hireling. Ouch.

the first part you will have a problem with the second not so much who said you were casting it :smallwink:

very nice by the way

oriong
2007-02-25, 11:08 PM
Also I'm fairly sure that version of genesis is 3.0, unless it's in some book I'm unaware of.

Rigeld2
2007-02-25, 11:30 PM
If its in the 3.5 SRD, its 3.5. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/genesis.htm

Collin152
2007-02-25, 11:33 PM
Alchemical capsules also work, if your unwilling to remove a tooth. They serve the same function, it's just that the tooth is a stealthy-variant on the capsule.

Aquillion
2007-02-25, 11:38 PM
Hmm, ok, we could resolve the mind seed problems by using the trick listed here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=11343265). Basically, we need some way to get the 7th level Wu Jen spell Body Outside Body, which creates a duplicate of the caster per 5 caster levels. These duplicates can't cast spells, but by the wording given can use psionics. Using our limitless wealth to have someone create a magic item to cast that a few times a day for us would probably be best--it's a pity we can't get the ability to cast Body Outside Body using psionics or as a spell-like ability or something, since then we'd get exponental growth, but the item will work for our purposes.

Now! An interesting note. Normally these bodies don't last long. That trick lists a way to make them last for a day. But that won't do for us, and why bother with it, anyway? Just have our demiplane be timeless with respect to magic in addition to flowing out of synch with the material plane--I don't see anything forbidding the combination of the two, and of course being timeless with respect to magic means spells with a non-instant duration don't wear off there unless dispelled. Also, as long as we stay there, we don't age. Presto, unlimited duplicates that last forever to work on our solid gold throne and chalice--plus, they share our stunning good looks.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-25, 11:55 PM
Now! An interesting note. Normally these bodies don't last long. That trick lists a way to make them last for a day. But that won't do for us, and why bother with it, anyway? Just have our demiplane be timeless with respect to magic in addition to flowing out of synch with the material plane--I don't see anything forbidding the combination of the two, and of course being timeless with respect to magic means spells with a non-instant duration don't wear off there unless dispelled. Also, as long as we stay there, we don't age. Presto, unlimited duplicates that last forever to work on our solid gold throne and chalice--plus, they share our stunning good looks.

Note that you'll still age, more or less. You can remain in a Timeless demiplane as long as you wish, but once you get back to normal time, you instantly revered to dry bones and dust. Unless, of course, you Planar Bind a Plane Shift-capable creature and have it capture a young sacrifice from the Prime Material, then True Mind Switch yourself into the victim's body and use Microcosm to trap your old body within its own mind for the rest of eternity (or at least until you find a new body and no longer need the old one alive). But you wouldn't do such a horrible thing... would you?

...yeah... This is why rules need to be worded as clearly as possible. Note that the rules never actually state you can choose time traits (the power explicitly spells this limitation out, but the spell just never mentions it).

Exile
2007-02-26, 02:33 PM
Surprised it hasn't been said, or maybe it has and I simply can't read.

Potion Bracer from Sharn City of Towers. I'd quote the page but I don't have my book with me.

Non-magical item, costs about 50 gold. Until you get magical bracers its the best 50gp you will ever spend. My fighter bought a set at level 2.

Mind you it can be attacked so you risk having your potions broken, but at least you avoid the AoO.

Exile

Fax Celestis
2007-02-26, 02:49 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned the feat from Complete Mage that lets you delay the effects of a drunk potion for hours equal to your Con mod.

Neek
2007-02-26, 05:06 PM
Aquillion's suggestion is the only way to drink a potion.

That, or play dead until the monster ignores you and then take a quaff.

Cowboy_ninja
2007-02-26, 05:22 PM
I was pretty sure that the alchemical tooth is NOT for potions but for the new alchemical substances in the complete adventurer.

Aquillion
2007-02-26, 06:05 PM
I am surprised no one has mentioned the feat from Complete Mage that lets you delay the effects of a drunk potion for hours equal to your Con mod.There is a first-level artificer spell that does a similar thing (although, to be fair, artificers can do anything they want anyway.)

Hrm. Does that mean that if I have a negative con mod, I can delay the effects of a drunk potion... into the past? "Alright, so I'm almost dead. I quaff a potion of con-damaging poison to get my con mod into the negatives, then quaff seven different buff potions and apply them retroactively. Also, the bonus and the resulting revision of history causes the timeline where I quaffed the potions and poison to become non-canonical; even though the bonuses come to me out of it we never actually reach that point, so I don't have to actually apply the con damage, nor actually use up any of the potions or poisons in question. In fact, I think I'll repeat the con-damaging-poison/cure-serious-wounds potion loop to heal myself completely whenever I take a point of damage."

Fax Celestis
2007-02-26, 06:08 PM
There is a first-level artificer spell that does a similar thing (although, to be fair, artificers can do anything they want anyway.)

Hrm. Does that mean that if I have a negative con mod, I can delay the effects of a drunk potion... into the past? "Alright, so I'm almost dead. I quaff a potion of con-damaging poison to get my con mod into the negatives, then quaff seven different buff potions and apply them retroactively. Also, the bonus and the resulting revision of history causes the timeline where I quaffed the potions and poison to become non-canonical; even though the bonuses come to me out of it we never actually reach that point, so I don't have to actually apply the con damage, nor actually use up any of the potions or poisons in question. In fact, I think I'll repeat the con-damaging-poison/cure-serious-wounds potion loop to heal myself completely whenever I take a point of damage."

I believe the feat contains the words "Minimum one", so no temporal potions for you.