PDA

View Full Version : Dogs in the Vineyard

ChildOfLuna
2007-02-25, 06:26 PM
I've recently stumbled upon this system, and it really fascinates me. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

Dogs in the Vineyard (http://www.septemberquestion.org/lumpley/dogsources.html) was shown to me by a friend, and I thought I was really going to hate the Western/Mormon theme. However, upon closer inspection I found a delightful set of mechanics as well as an interesting setting.

The main reason I ask is because I was thinking of running a PbP here with DitV and was wondering if anyone would be interested.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-25, 06:27 PM
Oh, god, I'd be so VERY interested.

The only problem is that I don't have Dogs in the Vineyard. If a game is getting started, however, I am seriously tempted to shell out the cash for the PDF at least.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-25, 07:34 PM
In fact--I've been wanting to do so for a while, so I did. I'll get download access to the PDF in a day or so.

ChildOfLuna
2007-02-25, 08:17 PM
That's quite nice to know.

Now if one or two more people post in this thread, we will be all set for a game of Dog's.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-25, 09:11 PM
Sadly, I don't think you'll have much luck here. I'm sure you'd be able to put a game together on the www.rpg.net forums, though; Dogs is fairly popular there.

Kantolin
2007-02-25, 09:11 PM
Perhaps the "Looking for player" board would be more fitting for this?

TSGames
2007-02-25, 09:27 PM
I've recently stumbled upon this system, and it really fascinates me. I was wondering if anyone else had heard of it.

Dogs in the Vineyard (http://www.septemberquestion.org/lumpley/dogsources.html) was shown to me by a friend, and I thought I was really going to hate the Western/Mormon theme. However, upon closer inspection I found a delightful set of mechanics as well as an interesting setting.

The main reason I ask is because I was thinking of running a PbP here with DitV and was wondering if anyone would be interested.
*emphasis added*
WTF?

PnP Fan
2007-02-25, 09:28 PM
I've heard of the system, and we almost ran it with my group, but other interests prevailed. I thought it was an interesting idea, and could be fun. Let me know how it goes.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-25, 09:36 PM
*emphasis added*
WTF?

That's not really right. Here (http://www.septemberquestion.org/lumpley/dogcerpts.html#whats) is a little about the game. What it comes down to is that the characters are sort of the law on the frontier, both secular and moral. It's a game about moral decisions.

The characters are God's Watchdogs--the Faith in question is left fairly general, and is easily altered; its specifics don't really matter and can be up to the PCs. They carry mail from town to town, perform official ceremonies, hand down the "right" interpretations of doctrine to town leaders, and solve the town's problems--ethical, social, and supernatural; sometimes with words, sometimes with preachin', sometimes with violence.

It's a game that lends itself to striking, often poignant characters defined by their relationship to the Faith, to the towns their visit, to their families; characters who are in a position of moral authority, and have to deal with that and reconcile it with various things.

ChildOfLuna
2007-02-25, 09:40 PM
Kantolin, I was just seeing if anyone knew about the system. (Since it's rather lesser known.)

I will be heading off to RPGnet now, away from the d20's.

*moves to RPGnet*

PnP Fan
2007-02-25, 10:41 PM
from DnDestruct:
*emphasis added*
WTF?

DitV isn't explicitly about Mormons, but it has a strong religious aspect to the game, and it's very clearly a Christian type of religion, in the west, with the heroes being agents of the religion that "enact justice" etc. . . It's pretty clear that they are probably referring to some sort of wild west Mormon adventure fantasy. Though you can up or down play the Mormon aspect of it as you like.

fallensavior
2007-02-26, 12:59 AM
Dogs is awesome! I have only played a couple of games with it but it was great. Not too hot on the setting but the system rocks. I was actually considering running a hybrid game with Dogs rules and the setting from another game. And I would be interested in playing.

Cybren
2007-02-26, 01:11 AM
wait so it's old west?

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-26, 02:23 AM
Sort of. It's definitely got a "weird west", Dark-Tower like feel, in some aspects.

Dark
2007-02-26, 07:55 AM
You know, I've occasionally heard mentions of this game, and I always just assumed...

Well, I'm just disappointed it's not actually about dogs.

clarkvalentine
2007-02-26, 09:27 AM
Dogs is brilliant. I've been running it for a sub-group of our regular gaming group a few times a month for several months now.

While I like the setting, I think the true brilliance lies in the conflict resolution system and how it interacts with the setting, which is well defined enough to frame the game and the conflicts within it but not so much that it confines player options.

I love this game. It's an absolute joy to GM. :smallbiggrin:

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-26, 01:00 PM
Kantolin, I was just seeing if anyone knew about the system. (Since it's rather lesser known.)

I will be heading off to RPGnet now, away from the d20's.

*moves to RPGnet*

I've been looking for a gauging interest/recruitment thread at the RPGnet forums, and haven't seen one yet...

ChildOfLuna
2007-02-26, 05:12 PM
I haven't posted one yet. My name is Seeker12345 there. I didn't even remember I had an account.

EDIT: I have just created the game. The name is simply [Interest] Dogs in the Vineyard. I am hoping to run a game over an online messenger for around 1-2 hours a week. (Possibly longer if scheduling permits it)

Moving back to the topic at hand, has anyone had any actual play experience with Dogs in the Vineyard?
My group has tried to run it, but been barred by snow on all occasions.

Kantolin
2007-02-26, 06:17 PM
Well, on the play-by-post section of this site I've seen people trying to run Vampire: The Masquerade games, some starwars, some freeform, etc.

I'd at least post a 'Interest?' topic... there may be more people interested than you'd assume. ^_^

Logos7
2007-02-26, 11:17 PM
I've played in it in a Con,

and quite Frankly I loved it

I loved it even more when i heard the phrase

Jedi in the VineYard

If Someone wanted to get a group going here at gitp I would so be interested

Logos