PDA

View Full Version : Spells 1 per level...

Starchild7309
2014-06-27, 05:00 PM
OK I am curious, what do you think are the most useful spells levels 1-9? For arcane (prepared or spontaneous), cleric, or druid.

Pick a spellcasting type and tell me 1 spell per level you think that type can't do without.

eggynack
2014-06-27, 05:20 PM
For druids, I think it'd go something like

0: Detect magic, cause that's just a massive amount of utility in such a tiny spell.

1: Either entangle or impeding stones, depending on BFC mood. These things are just way more powerful than level would indicate.

2: I'll go with kelpstrand over blinding spittle here, because that spell is better against casters.

3: Heart of water, because it's just insane utility.

4: Enhance wild shape. Without feats, it's a bunch of vision modes, and the odd wacky ability. With feats, particularly aberration wild shape, it lets you break the game utterly. Great stuff, with a duration to match.

5: Control winds. There are a lot of spells like it at this level, like blizzard and call avalanche, but this one is the archetypal example, and possibly the best. Cast it normally for a shield of wind that stops archery and flight alike, controlling the battlefield and defending yourself at the same time, or toss on some CL boosters and go to town.

6: Fey ring. This is the big druid minionmancy spell, and it ranges from pretty good to borked beyond all reason.

7: This is a tricky one, and not in a good way either. I'll just go with master earth, because it lets you do stuff that other casters can't.

8: This might actually be worse than 7. Frostfell is reasonable, I suppose. I'm vaguely inclined to pull from a lower level, but that seems like a mistake.

9: Shapechange, obviously. This is the best 9th in the whole game, and 9th's are obviously insane.