PDA

View Full Version : Help me find mechanics to match this character profile?

Callista
2014-06-27, 05:56 PM
I have a character in mind but I am not sure what combination of classes, feats, and other abilities would be best for them. Can you help me?

Dwarf; female.
Not chaotic or evil--probably LN or LG.
Highly intelligent, with good mechanical aptitude.
Straightforward, simple style in battle; not too mobile.
Tough; can take a few hits.
A scholar; has a broad base of knowledge, especially about history, geography, culture, and nature.
Average social skills, neither repulsive nor charismatic.
Thinks ahead and plans; can be slow to act.
Optionally, throws axes or hammers in ranged combat.
Not a spellcaster--magic doesn't appeal to her, though she recognizes its power.
Introverted--doesn't seek out flashy displays; loves learning and bonds deeply with close friends.
No particular loyalty to a deity or country.
Able to repair and craft complex items as well as maintaining and possibly creating weapons and armor. Has worked as a mechanic.
Competent in battle; enjoys the challenge of a fight, but not the killing; when she does kill, she does it efficiently, as though it's an unpleasant task and she'd rather just get it over with.
Not religious, but respects deities whose causes she agrees with.

You see the problem here; I'm trying to go off in a few different directions that aren't usually put together: High intelligence, tanking in combat, item crafting, and knowledge skills. I need a lot of skill points for this to work, but fighter types don't usually get that, nor do they need the 16+ intelligence this character seems to require.

Playing 3.5.

Anybody got ideas?

Doc_Maynot
2014-06-27, 06:05 PM
Perhaps Factotum? Being crafty, smart, versatile folk is kind of their shtick. Just ignore the SLAs if you want to. And use Mithril Heavy Armor, it's better on the skills and counts as medium armor.

Kazudo
2014-06-27, 06:11 PM
I have a character in mind but I am not sure what combination of classes, feats, and other abilities would be best for them. Can you help me?

Dwarf; female.
A scholar; has a broad base of knowledge, especially about history, geography, culture, and nature.
Not a spellcaster--magic doesn't appeal to her, though she recognizes its power.
Introverted--doesn't seek out flashy displays; loves learning and bonds deeply with close friends.
Able to repair and craft complex items as well as maintaining and possibly creating weapons and armor. Has worked as a mechanic.
Competent in battle; enjoys the challenge of a fight, but not the killing; when she does kill, she does it efficiently, as though it's an unpleasant task and she'd rather just get it over with.

You see the problem here; I'm trying to go off in a few different directions that aren't usually put together: High intelligence, tanking in combat, item crafting, and knowledge skills. I need a lot of skill points for this to work, but fighter types don't usually get that, nor do they need the 16+ intelligence this character seems to require.

Playing 3.5.

Anybody got ideas?

That all sounds like a Totemist/Artificer/Ironsoul Forgemaster of some kind.

Juntao112
2014-06-27, 06:16 PM
Ranger, perhaps?

Jeff the Green
2014-06-27, 06:33 PM
Sounds like a Deepstone Sentinel to me. Desert or gold dwarf Factotum 4/Warblade 9/Deepwarden 2/Deepstone Sentinel 5. Not in that order, though. Dip Warblade around a bit. You end up with an initiator level of 2 + 9 + 1 + 5 = 17, so if you make sure that Warblade is your last level you get a 9th-level maneuver. And grab Deepwarden ASAP to replace your (mediocre to miserable) Dexterity with Constitution for AC purposes.

Warblade is probably the best choice for "efficient, non-flashy fighter". Factotum takes care of the knowledge stuff, social skills, and Deepwarden prereqs. Deepwarden and Deepstone Sentinel make him an immovable object that can move itself. Knowledge Devotion, Improved Trip (Strength + Intelligence to the check!), and maybe Brutal Throw are good choices for feats, plus you'll need Power Attack and Endurance.

Zaq
2014-06-27, 06:38 PM
Rogue/Silver Key (refluff to taste)/Trapsmith, ignore spells as necessary.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-06-27, 06:39 PM
Artificer for sure, check the handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0), especially the meleeficer section.

Ghen
2014-06-27, 06:53 PM
For simplicity (not optimization) I'd go Fighter/Expert. You intelligent fighter will have skill points to spare for the craft skill, and easily qualifies for the combat expertise line of feats. As an expert, you get access to most skills you want, which probably means you pick all knowledges and craft skills.

WesleyVos
2014-06-27, 07:11 PM

Dwarf; female.

Playing 3.5.

Anybody got ideas?

Depends on the starting level. I'd throw in a level of crusader (for iron guard's glare, which makes you a viable tank) and maybe one or more of warblade (intelligent fighter). Definitely a level of factotum - that gets you the skills and the scholar stuff.

Gavinfoxx
2014-06-27, 07:28 PM
You should look at this homebrew modification of a normal class:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212864

Telonius
2014-06-28, 08:32 AM
I'd definitely have a couple levels of Rogue or Factotum for Trapfinding and class skills. Dwarf Paragon for crafting, hitpoints (including +2 Con), proficiencies, and BAB. Maybe a level of Combat Trapsmith.

Thiyr
2014-06-28, 04:09 PM
Sounds like a Deepstone Sentinel to me. Desert or gold dwarf Factotum 4/Warblade 9/Deepwarden 2/Deepstone Sentinel 5. Not in that order, though. Dip Warblade around a bit. You end up with an initiator level of 2 + 9 + 1 + 5 = 17, so if you make sure that Warblade is your last level you get a 9th-level maneuver. And grab Deepwarden ASAP to replace your (mediocre to miserable) Dexterity with Constitution for AC purposes.

Warblade is probably the best choice for "efficient, non-flashy fighter". Factotum takes care of the knowledge stuff, social skills, and Deepwarden prereqs. Deepwarden and Deepstone Sentinel make him an immovable object that can move itself. Knowledge Devotion, Improved Trip (Strength + Intelligence to the check!), and maybe Brutal Throw are good choices for feats, plus you'll need Power Attack and Endurance.

This is pretty much what I was gonna suggest. Seems like a good idea to me as well. The irony of it is that while warblade is a great "non-flashy" fighter, the default fluff is about trying to be flashy. I recommend ignoring that. Also, Diamond Mind seems like a solid choice of maneuvers to focus on. For the most part, it gives me the feel of the clean, thoughtful style of combat you seem to be considering for the character. All of the warblade schools but tiger claw seem to fit with that to some degree though.

Alikat
2014-06-28, 05:09 PM
Your character idea reminds me of this one that I've been putting together, still a work in progress, character sheet is a lvl 12 mock up, but I have all his levels and feats by level listed.

rogue/swash/fighter with knowledge devotion and a member of he paragnostic assembly(complete champion, take 10 on knowledge checks plus huge knowledge bonuses.)

picked up barb and tempest levels at the end of the build because why not.

Dex/int based character with a flat personality, both a thug and a bookworm.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=894028

Isn't totally optimized but I was going for a particular flavor as well as good mechanics.

Irk
2014-06-28, 05:29 PM
Easily Artificer, as others have mentioned, but you could also factor in Knowledge Devotion + Collector of Stories for some practical use of the skill.

FreakyCheeseMan
2014-06-28, 08:25 PM
Artificer, for sure. You can fluff that however you want - I had one that was basically a Paladin that thought standard Paladin training sucked - he was big on building his own weapons and armor as part of the process of taking conscienetious responsibility for himself as a warrior and an adventurer. The chassis isn't perfect for combat, but items cover over a multitude of sins.

Regissoma
2014-06-28, 09:10 PM
I second Ironsoul Forgemaster and/or Artificer.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-28, 11:37 PM
This is pretty much what I was gonna suggest. Seems like a good idea to me as well. The irony of it is that while warblade is a great "non-flashy" fighter, the default fluff is about trying to be flashy. I recommend ignoring that. Also, Diamond Mind seems like a solid choice of maneuvers to focus on. For the most part, it gives me the feel of the clean, thoughtful style of combat you seem to be considering for the character. All of the warblade schools but tiger claw seem to fit with that to some degree though.

Yeah, I'd focus on Iron Heart, Diamond Mind, Stone Dragon, and a splash of White Raven—while most of White Raven is unsuitable for an introverted character, since it's about being the commander and inspirational leader, there are some nice ones in there that aren't, like White Raven Hammer and Covering Strike.

The martial factotum linked above would be a good addition, allowing you to get a couple maneuvers from other disciplines that you can swap around each day. And since it follows the usual IL rules but you "learn" your maneuvers over again each day, you can pick up maneuvers up to level six. I like Shadow Stride and the various throws from Setting Sun, since you'll end up with Strength + Intelligence to trip checks.