PDA

View Full Version : Weird PF Trait

noparlpf
2014-06-27, 07:23 PM
I just found out that Pathfinder took the traits system and modified it so that PCs can essentially get two extra "half-feats" at creation, whereas 3.5 released traits that provide both a bonus and a penalty so there's technically no net gain. So of course I spent an hour skimming through the (hugely lengthy) list of PF traits. I found this one, Veteran of Battle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/veteran-of-battle).

Benefits: You gain a +1 trait bonus on initiative checks, and if you are able to act during a surprise round, you may draw a weapon (but not a potion or magic item) as a free action during that round.

So let me get this straight.

-Normally, you can draw a weapon as a move action.
-In a normal surprise round, you can spend your move action to draw a weapon.
-With Quick Draw, you can draw a weapon as a free action.
-In a surprise round when you have Quick Draw, you can spend a free action to draw a weapon, and then make either a move or standard action.
-Without Quick Draw but with Veteran of Battle, you can not normally draw a weapon as a free action.
-Without Quick Draw but with Veteran of Battle, you can draw a weapon as a free action in a surprise round.

To summarize: A Veteran of Battle can draw a sword faster when surprised than when prepared for trouble.

Translation: We don't want none of your stinkin' logic in our D&D.

Giddonihah
2014-06-27, 07:32 PM
You seldom get a surprise round action if you are the one being surprised.
It seems to be intended for when you decide to surprise someone when your weapon hasnt been drawn yet, so you can attack them and quickly whip out your sword and stab them in the surprise round. It has to be a free action due to action problems with surprise round (aint much of a surprise attack when you spend the entire surprise round drawing a weapon)

During normal combat you can draw a weapon as part of a move action anyways,.. so its practically free.

Malaqai
2014-06-27, 08:04 PM
It allows you to make a full round attack during the surprise round even if your weapon is sheathed. This would be particularly useful for a character who always acts during the surprise round. Consider the Cleric Divine Strategist archetype with this trait. The party gets ambushed and somebody walks up and whacks the cleric. The Master Tactician class ability allows the cleric to act in the surprise round, and the trait allows the Divine Strategist to draw her weapon as a free action rather than a move action so that she can make a full round attack in retaliation.

noparlpf
2014-06-27, 08:16 PM
Except that a surprise round limits you to either a standard or a move action, no full-round actions.

Malaqai
2014-06-27, 09:16 PM
Except that a surprise round limits you to either a standard or a move action, no full-round actions.

Whoops, wasn't thinking. My point still stands though - it allows you to retaliate when you're caught by surprise combat.

Amphetryon
2014-06-27, 09:32 PM
So, it's a Trait that allows you to react more quickly when you move by instinct, instead of with any forethought? I don't see the problem.

grarrrg
2014-06-27, 09:59 PM
A Veteran of Battle can draw a sword faster when surprised than when prepared for trouble.

Yes.
From a logic standpoint:
It makes no sense when compared to Quick Draw.

From a gameplay standpoint:
Works perfectly fine, as it is still strictly worse than Quick Draw (trait vs. feat)

Lord of Shadows
2014-06-27, 10:55 PM
I found this one, Veteran of Battle (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/religion-traits/veteran-of-battle).
Also keep in mind that this is from a Supplement, Ultimate Campaign, which not every DM uses (our PF DM doesn't, we get Core Rulebook, Advanced Player's Guide, and the Player's Guide for whatever Adventure Path we are on).