PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Themed Fantasy Music

Timothy Adan
2014-06-27, 08:14 PM
Hello! My name is Timothy Adan. I just want to let you know of a kickstarter I launched. To keep it short and sweet, I am writing background music specifically for roleplaying games. As the title suggests, it is eastern themed for those who are running eastern themed RPG's or simply enjoy that type of music.

If you are interested, you should definitely check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2095495906/eastern-fantasy-background-soundtrack

Thank you very much, and cheers!

-Timothy Adan, [email protected]

Clertar
2014-06-27, 08:26 PM
I suddently really crave a Jade Empire 2 :'-|

Timothy Adan
2014-06-28, 08:33 AM
lol that would be cool wouldn't it :3

Timothy Adan
2014-06-28, 11:16 PM
I have updated my kickstarter and am now offering .flac files for anybody that is interested! :-)

Metahuman1
2014-06-30, 10:40 AM
I suddently really crave a Jade Empire 2 :'-|

I`ve been craving one since i finished jade empire 1.

AdmiralCheez
2014-06-30, 12:01 PM
I listened to the sample tracks, and I think this would perfect background music for a story I'm working on. Ten minute tracks that are also loopable is a great idea, and I wish more ambient music did that kind of thing. So, I'm in.

Jayngfet
2014-06-30, 07:08 PM
I`ve been craving one since i finished jade empire 1.

Considering what became of Dragon Age 2, I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that we let that sleeping dog lie.

In any case, I'll see about donating to this at some point in the future.

Timothy Adan
2014-07-02, 09:48 PM
Thank you very much guys! :-)

Psyren
2014-07-03, 09:55 AM
Not to be Debbie Downer, but what is unique about this relative to all the free chinese/japanese instrumental music I can find online?

Your stuff is good, don't get me wrong, but you have a lot of competition.

Considering what became of Dragon Age 2, I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that we let that sleeping dog lie.

Counterpoints: BG2, ME2. Anyway, no need to derail this thread.

Timothy Adan
2014-07-04, 04:56 PM
You are right, you may be able to find other music online. However, I do offer the backers a chance to influence my design decisions within the music itself. I am not worried about the "competition" as you put it. There are many people that would rather go for the free option, and I don't mind that.

Kickstarter in and of itself is about projects that create something, and to help bring those projects to life. If that doesn't appeal to some folks, that is totally okay. :-)

Jayngfet
2014-07-04, 05:51 PM
Random question, but how many places have you posted this kickstarter? It seems like it should be pretty easy to meet your goals if it's gone far enough.

endoperez
2014-07-05, 03:22 AM
The embedded SoundCloud tracks don't work for me, I had to go to your SoundCloud page to listen to them. It's probably just my Firefox acting up.

You know who could use a 10-minute looping background music track? Game developers. Indie devs most probably wouldn't have access to their own music guy, and a perfectly looping track of 10 minutes is long enough to not become too repetitive. Besides, there's some overlap between game developers and roleplayers any way.

If you're going for that angle (you could start from Unity (http://forum.unity3d.com/)and Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/forums)forums), you would have to emphasize the commercial use angle a bit, and mention the 45$ for commercial use per track outright. Also, if someone wants commercial usage rights after the Kickstarter is over, or the option of getting usage rights for more tracks than they originally backed, how much would it cost for them.

Timothy Adan
2014-07-05, 08:44 AM
@Jayngfet
I have posted this in a handful of other forums. Mostly roleplay oriented forums. The problem with some of them is that there is so much other activity that it gets drowned out, or it doesn't get enough activity. Then there is the part where I try not to be a troll lol. I have been looking around for other forums that might work.

@endoperez
I'm sorry my links didn't work for you. I know that getting them to work at all was pretty annoying. Kickstarter says it can do a lot of things, but those things don't tend to work as well as they should.

I have never really considered going on to forums for the various game engines. That is an absolutely brilliant idea! I had considered the possibility of game developers using the music, but how to get to them not really crossed my mind. Thank you very much for the suggestions :-)

Psyren
2014-07-05, 01:12 PM
Have you released any other tracks through Creative Commons? That's a good way to make a name for yourself; many indie devs check there first for tracks they can use in their products for free.

Timothy Adan
2014-07-06, 08:11 AM
I have not yet. I have considered it, but at this current moment, that isn't something I am going to do. I do keep thinking about it from time to time I probably will at some point. Is there any website in particular you would suggest if I were to do that?

endoperez
2014-07-06, 02:23 PM
I have not yet. I have considered it, but at this current moment, that isn't something I am going to do. I do keep thinking about it from time to time I probably will at some point. Is there any website in particular you would suggest if I were to do that?

I'm an indie dev, and I disagree with that idea. Free music is good, but it's not going to result in that many sales...

There's two separate groups - people looking for free music, and people looking for the best music they can afford. You don't want the people looking for free music, unless they'll want to license something later. One free track out of many won't draw that much attention IMO. Getting attention of students and developers would be good though.

One way to get draw attention to your music would be to let people use it freely, but only for non-commercial game jam projects. Game jams are super-fast game development events, usually organized so lots of people take part. Dozens to hundreds of tiny games are the result. There's student games, hobbyist games, and also games from real professionals who wanted to take a break from their longer projects.

Global Game Jam is probably the biggest one, it's organized every January or so. They list sll the games officially made in each year's jam, so it's easy to prove if a game using your music was really part of that jam or not. Letting people choose from a few different tracks during that weekend is going to draw much more attention than giving out one free sample track that's gonna get lost in all the other free stuff.

Timothy Adan
2014-07-06, 08:52 PM
I have to say, I am very thankful for all of this feedback I'm getting! This is all very exciting. I will definitely check out the global game jam, as well as any other game jams I can find.

Thank you all so much for the help! :-)

Jayngfet
2014-07-06, 11:07 PM
@Jayngfet
I have posted this in a handful of other forums. Mostly roleplay oriented forums. The problem with some of them is that there is so much other activity that it gets drowned out, or it doesn't get enough activity. Then there is the part where I try not to be a troll lol. I have been looking around for other forums that might work.

Right. It seems like you could do a bit better maybe if you advertised it as a music project as well as a roleplay project, but this is just me guessing.

I mean ten dollars for an album is an ok price, but a reasonably inexpensive price to commission a soundtrack or get the rights to one might appeal to some low key game developers. If you word your messages right and know where to look you might get some bigger takers. After all, 450 dollars is a lot of money for a DM entertaining a few friends on a Saturday night with some dice, but it's not that much for a game devs budget if he's already got a couple of people to compensate and wants to sell his game for money down the road. It'd become less of a personal indulgence and more of an investment, more or less.

I have no idea how many people are developing eastern themed video games, but a few quick internet searches would probably turn up a few people you could try out.

As for the Game Jam idea: That's a wonderful suggestion, and this or that Jam is a pretty consistent way to drum up interest. Not to mention student films, since in about eight months artsy type students across the globe are going to start serious work on their films, and in my experience there's always a couple who want something Asian flavored. If you know where to look and who to talk to, you could probably get consistent work from fall all the way out til spring.