PDA

View Full Version : So Dark Sun IS connected to Ravenloft, right?

AnonymousPepper
2014-06-28, 03:44 AM
With A. the level of absolute awfulness in Athas and B. the level of absolute badassery exhibited almost by default by everyone who lives on that desolate stretch of sand...

Spelljamming explicitly cannot touch the place, but I know that people have been taken from Athas by the Mists, and Ravenloft connects to everywhere as far as I know, much as Sigil does.

Why hasn't anyone from Dark Sun tried deliberately escaping to somewhere less terrible than Athas via Ravenloft? Strahd, for example, isn't statted all that high, you know. You wouldn't have to be Sorcerer-King level powerful to overpower him or to otherwise escape, just... reasonably strong at mid-levels.

Alleran
2014-06-28, 04:06 AM
One way out of Athas is by finding a door to the World Serpent Inn (there are at least a couple of them). From there, you can go to any Prime Material world you like, including Oerth, Krynn, Eberron and Toril. In fact, as I recall there are Athasians who've taken up permanent residence in the Inn, largely because it's a whole lot better than Athas is.

HammeredWharf
2014-06-28, 05:04 AM
No one knows how the Mists operate, so traveling to Ravenloft deliberately is near-impossible.

LordErebus12
2014-06-28, 06:46 AM
http://i.imgur.com/yGXksIH.png

We mustn't forget that its connected to ALL settings, via the World Serpent Inn...

Brookshw
2014-06-28, 07:42 AM
World serpent inn aside, yes. The DS novels (off the top of my head book 5 of the chronicles of athas) make reference to ravenloft figures, and really, soth was a groupy in the 90's he got around to EVERYWHERE. I believe the connection is through the shadow but, when in doubt, ask a 'Fro (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?317316-afroakuma-s-Planar-Questions-Thread-IV/page47).

Gemini476
2014-06-28, 08:57 AM
...Didn't one of the Sorcerer Kings end up in Ravenloft? I distinctly remember something about that.

Google says that it's Kalid-ma and his entire domain of Kalidnay, so yeah.

Kalidnay is a domain taken from Athas (Dark Sun setting). It is ruled by the High Priestess Thakok-An, whose defining crime was the sacrifice of her family in order to transform her Sorcerer King, Kalid-Ma, into a dragon. Instead of transforming, the King was put into a deep sleep, and half of the city's population was killed. As soon as this happened, Kalidnay was added to Ravenloft as an island of terror. Thakok's curse is having her beloved master at her side, as she wanted, but in a sleeping state, thus never having his favor. Worse, she cannot even try to awake him, because she knows if he awakens, he will probably kill her, or worse!

Trundlebug
2014-06-28, 09:28 AM
I have nothing useful to add beyond...Athasian halflings. Lol so funny, crazy little dread haired cannibals.

Brookshw
2014-06-28, 09:54 AM
I have nothing useful to add beyond...Athasian halflings. Lol so funny, crazy little dread haired cannibals.

I was always a fan of the surfer druids of the lost sea myself :smallbiggrin:

Trundlebug
2014-06-28, 09:56 AM
I was always a fan of the surfer druids of the lost sea myself :smallbiggrin:

Haha! Athas is so borked. Seriously it's just chock full of over the top stereo types. I love it!

Vogonjeltz
2014-06-28, 11:07 AM
With A. the level of absolute awfulness in Athas and B. the level of absolute badassery exhibited almost by default by everyone who lives on that desolate stretch of sand...

Spelljamming explicitly cannot touch the place, but I know that people have been taken from Athas by the Mists, and Ravenloft connects to everywhere as far as I know, much as Sigil does.

Why hasn't anyone from Dark Sun tried deliberately escaping to somewhere less terrible than Athas via Ravenloft? Strahd, for example, isn't statted all that high, you know. You wouldn't have to be Sorcerer-King level powerful to overpower him or to otherwise escape, just... reasonably strong at mid-levels.

Probably because player knowledge != character knowledge. You and I know about levels and the various methods of travel that will work based on character level, but the characters have no such knowledge.

Werephilosopher
2014-06-28, 11:35 AM

Probably because player knowledge != character knowledge. You and I know about levels and the various methods of travel that will work based on character level, but the characters have no such knowledge.

This. Also, you're thinking that getting out of Ravenloft is as simple as defeating one of its Darklords. It definitely isn't.

Psyren
2014-06-28, 11:39 AM
No one knows how the Mists operate, so traveling to Ravenloft deliberately is near-impossible.

Pretty much this. You could research it or something but this is hardly going to be a viable approach for Joe Blow.

Also this.