PDA

View Full Version : [Feat] Ranged Attack of Opportunity [PEACH]

Hefty Lefty
2007-02-25, 08:46 PM
Hey, this is my first Homebrew post and I don't have any resources but the internet, so please be kind when reviewing. Thanks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ranged Attack of Opportunity [General]

Scevola crouches through the overgrown grass of the forest and approaches a large pine tree. He straightens his back and leans against it for cover. He notches an arrow and peers around the trunk. He hears swords clanging behind a stone wall, but can’t find any targets. The two fighters are on the left of an arched doorway about ten feet wide, he guesses. Scevola squints his eyes to get a clearer image of the doorway and waits. After some more clangs, one man yells in pain. Scevola hears him turn to run away. That’s when he pulls his bow taut and aims at the right side of the doorway. The injured man begins to run from the left side of the arch to the right as Scevola releases his arrow. The arrow flies through the air and pierces the fighter in mid-stride. It sinks into his hip and he falls to the ground in a pool of his own blood.

Feat: Ranged Attack of Opportunity

Prerequisites: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Combat Reflexes

Benefits:
With this feat, when an opponent passes through your eyesight, you can attempt to pick him off as he runs in the open. When taking a ranged attack of opportunity, the attacker takes a -4 penalty on his attack roll. There are also some modifiers to the opponent’s armor class.

The target’s movement affects the difficulty of the shot.
Target’s Movement / Modifier to Target’s Armor Class
(Normal Speed) / +0
Less than full movement speed / -2
Moving through difficult terrain or over obstacles / -4
Charging (x2 speed with attack at end of movement) / +1
Hustling (x2 speed) / +2
Running (x4 speed) / +4

Also, the amount of distance the attacker has to see the opponent affects his aim.
Target in Attacker’s sight for % of movement / Modifier to Target’s Armor Class
100% / -4
80% / -2
75% / -1
60% / +0
50% / +1
40% / +2
25% / +4
20% / +6
0% / (Cannot use feat)

Attacker can only attack once per opponent's move. If the opponent provokes an attack of opportunity after then, such as drinking a potion, the attacker may perform another attack, as providing their dexterity modifier is high enough (Combat Reflexes rule).

Normal:
Without the feat, you cannot react to an opponent crossing your eyesight.

Special:
This may be selected as a fighter’s bonus feat.

knightsaline
2007-02-25, 09:17 PM
this sounds like it would be best for a combat sniper or a fighter that stands on a roof of a city and picks off the charging hordes of orcs/zombies/fiendish cows/ whatever

Demented
2007-02-25, 09:28 PM
That seems more like a readied action than an attack of opportunity, only without the need to ready. (I suppose the distinction isn't all that great.)

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:29 PM
this sounds like it would be best for a combat sniper or a fighter that stands on a roof of a city and picks off the charging hordes of orcs/zombies/fiendish cows/ whatever

are you refering to my combat sniper :smalleek: (well thats rather nice if you are :smallbiggrin: )

Now the ability seams ok but a little to good. The player should have to give up something to gain the aoo otherwise you made archers very hard to play against because as you move you will provoke many attacks (moving 30 feat i.e. normal distance of a medium character you provoke 6 attacks) and with combat expertise and a high dex score an archer can drop a foe quickly because they will get a full attack action then many aoo.

I personaly made an ability like this as trick for a fight class I made (if you want to look at it go to the homebrew by an idiot its a trick for the martial artist) but in order to actualy get the aoo the fighter had to give up his normal round much like a readied action.

edit:Demented the diffence her however is it can be less specific as to the trigger of the attack and you can gain more then 1 attack.

Hefty Lefty
2007-02-25, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the input, I'll edit what's written above.

Orzel
2007-02-26, 10:00 AM
I made a topic about this here : http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35389

You realy can't AoO someone you aren't focusing on. You can AoO in melee because enemies are "all up in your face" and you can swing when they leave themselves open quickly.
Since an AoO is an extra attack opening that wasn't there before, it's wouldn't be normal to be always for ranged combat. When a character attacks in mlee, they swing their weapon a bunching of times but only get a certian number of attacks equal to their abilty to force openinging in the defender's defenses. Ranged strikes are only made equal to the number of openings the attacker can force. An AoO is a opening caused by the defender and not the attacker. Since a ranged strikes is not always happening, you can't always threaten an area. A Ranged AoO feat would be an active feat that requires the shooter to shoot at an area constantly and cause AoOs when people do distracting things in that area. Like a volley.

Hefty Lefty
2007-03-01, 06:09 AM
Wow, great points. This feat doesn't make much sense, does it?
Well, I guess that's what PEACHing is for!

Kayoden Usoden
2007-10-25, 01:53 PM
The is a feat that allows a ranged attack of opportunity, it's in the underdark book.