PDA

View Full Version : Oversized weapon question

TheElfLord
2007-02-25, 08:46 PM
Okay I'm creating a race based off of Ghols from the Myth universe. Now in the games they wield large cleavers almost as big as themselves one handed. To mechanically represent this I apear to have two options, the much loathed monkey grip as a free feat, or giving them the oversized weapon ability. From what i've seen oversized weapon is like monkey grip with no penalty. Is there anything that i'm missing that could contribute to my decision? Thanks all

oriong
2007-02-25, 08:49 PM
A better option is the Powerful Build ability, essentially causing a creature to be treated as one size category larger for almost all advantageous purposes (except spacing and reach).

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-25, 08:50 PM
If what you care about is look, just give them a cleaver (I believe there's one statted out somewhere - Arms & Equip. Guide?) and describe it as being big. If what you care about is description and look, just go with it and don't worry about jury-rigging something to represent it mechanically.

Stevenson
2007-02-25, 08:56 PM
My answer hinges on this: Are you planning on them being a playable race?

If so, poweful build is the way to go.

If not, then just have them do it without extra rules, as St. Jude said. You don't need to dance around the rulebooks as a DM, because if the players ask how, then you should put them down without a second thought.

Zincorium
2007-02-25, 08:57 PM
Okay I'm creating a race based off of Ghols from the Myth universe. Now in the games they wield large cleavers almost as big as themselves one handed. To mechanically represent this I apear to have two options, the much loathed monkey grip as a free feat, or giving them the oversized weapon ability. From what i've seen oversized weapon is like monkey grip with no penalty. Is there anything that i'm missing that could contribute to my decision? Thanks all

Powerful Build. It's in the SRD under the half giant racial description. You could even give them a slightly gimped version which does away with the other miscellaneous bonuses, but it's not all that overpowering if you read it and use it correctly. Wield oversized weapon is an epic feat, with monkey grip as a prerequisite, so if you can use powerful build instead, it would seem like a better idea.

Lastly, why not just make a special racial weapon out of the giant cleaver?

Matthew
2007-02-25, 09:00 PM
Indeed, a 1D10 x3 Exotic One Handed Weapon that the Ghols have Racial Affinity with would be a perfectly viable option.

TheElfLord
2007-02-25, 09:06 PM
Yeah i think that takes care of the issue nicely, Thanks all!

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-26, 11:14 AM
A day late, but hopefully no dollars short. Fiendish Codex 1 has those goat-demons, who don't have Powerful Build, but merely "Wield Oversized Weapon". MM2(might be 3) has Arrow Demons, who have "Oversized TWF(bows only)". Hope that helps you some. :)