PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Group pressure for 3.5 Blastlock; make it interesting or offer low-opt. alternative

SouthpawSoldier
2014-06-28, 11:04 AM
Creating a 5th level character, 32 point buy for my group. Low optimization (2 monk-based characters in the party); the DM is letting me use the WBL chart (we normally have low wealth campaigns), so I'm already overpowered relative to the party. Tack on the DM's gift*, and it's just silly.

Right now, they want a glass cannon for ranged damage. Not much use of utility spells or skill monkey going on (or too much of a need; DM tailors challenges to the party). There's pressure on me to use my flight with Eldritch Spear and Entropic Warding to spam 3d6/round (they aren't aware of the items WBL gets me that boost Eldtritch Blast) from long range. The group is also convinced that Warlocks are broken and that 3d6 ranged touch/round is worthwhile at 5th level (also expecting me to waste feats on PBS/Precise Shot chain). I don't want to alienate these guys, as I've finally rebuilt a group with better rapport (last group had lots of issues), but their ideas and perception sucks. It's a boring one trick pony.

I was toying with idea of doing something similar, but with more potential; a Human DFA that spams Strafing Breath (1). Similar damage output, but a strafed 15ft cone or 30ft line means tagging more than one enemy per round, and no attack rolls required. Still a one-trick pony, but a little more effecient action economy. Only suck there is shorter range (2).

In both cases, the problem I'm having is keeping low-tier classes versatile enough to stay interesting. Fluff isn't too much of a problem (I can always ripoff DBZ for giggles with a 'lock), but I'm used to having more options in combat, and to be more useful outside combat (I prefer bards; may not be a wizard, but bards are fun and have less bookkeeping). Other than UMD abuse, or burning a DFA Invocation slot for that +6 to all Knowledge, I don't see much versatility with either character. Spamming Baleful Utterance to rain stalagtites on groups of foes?

*In his setting, there are rare and random mutations. PC's roll a percentile during character creation, and get a power based on a list he drew up. Anything from a couple extra Ability points, to telekinesis, to (my case) Perfect Flight at 2x racial move speed. Plot hook is a cult that hunts down the mutants in society, so we can't overuse the abilites in town.

(1) Dragonlance Setting may be a verboten book, since we aren't in Faerun and some 3.0 material is banned. Go figure, since we're getting the PF unlimited Orision/Cantrip rules.

(2) Is there a way to boost DFA breath range, aside from Metabreath manipulation?

(3) Does anyone know of a list of useful feats that scale by level? I've found a few that apply to a flying 'lock or DFA, but flat+1AC and +2 DC bumps (especially when not using Invocations that allow saves) becomes less valuable over time.

SouthpawSoldier
2014-06-28, 04:44 PM
40+ views, and no opinions? i'm surprised. Usually by now there would be at least three suggestions to whip up a copy of the Mailman or Batman builds, two for me to find another group, and a page of cracks about the Monk players.

Juntao112
2014-06-28, 04:46 PM
I think that you should make a damage dealing God wizard who laughs at the feebleness of the monks. Then find a game which is more suitable to your abilities.

Flickerdart
2014-06-28, 04:53 PM
Are the two monks your only party members? You might want to build something that buffs them. That way you don't have to build a "boring one-trick pony" and they won't realize you're actually doing anything at all.

Juntao112
2014-06-28, 04:54 PM
(3) Does anyone know of a list of useful feats that scale by level? I've found a few that apply to a flying 'lock or DFA, but flat+1AC and +2 DC bumps (especially when not using Invocations that allow saves) becomes less valuable over time.
Knowledge Devotion + Otherwordly Whispers
Maximize SLA
Quicken SLA
Craft Contingent Spell
Flyby Attack

SouthpawSoldier
2014-06-28, 05:12 PM
Juntao, I deserved that; +1 Interwebz for you.

One is a monk/rogue, the other is a monk/-----; we have a Spellscale cleric/----- (mostly Turn undeads and healing; he's a WOW player getting into 3.P), a dwarf fighter (most experienced player at the table, built that as a S&G's stereotype because he could). One of the monks is a Spellscale as well, IIRC.

I'm away from books right now; what is the text for Craft Contingent Spell? Requirements?

I was already considering Flyby, as it's a requirement for Strafing Breath that's useful on it's own.

Curious how I would fluff Warlock/Cleric. Could be interesting.

Juntao112
2014-06-28, 05:32 PM
I'm away from books right now; what is the text for Craft Contingent Spell? Requirements?

Caster level 11.

You can find the text in the CArc.

Dimers
2014-06-28, 07:12 PM
Are the two monks your only party members? You might want to build something that buffs them. That way you don't have to build a "boring one-trick pony" and they won't realize you're actually doing anything at all.

Yeah, I was gonna say that bard build that gives +many d6 dice of elemental damage to allies. Dragonfire inspiration? The monks would eat that up.

aleucard
2014-06-28, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say that bard build that gives +many d6 dice of elemental damage to allies. Dragonfire inspiration? The monks would eat that up.

Agreed. Just make sure that their To-Hit takes priority; the damage boost doesn't help much if they are still missing as much as they would be normally.

Try and direct the Cleric player to a handbook and let him be the buff-monkey; that's one of his class primaries, and if he's going to be pumping Turns he can use DMM or something when Undead aren't on the table that evening. Your party has a great need of utility and skillmonkey, so keep that in mind. DFA or Factotum are probably your best bets. If the second is your pick, see if you can get Iaijutsu Focus for additional damage in melee (most of the party's melee, so why the Hell not?), but it's not that mandatory.

Flickerdart
2014-06-28, 08:09 PM
I would actually heavily prioritize to-hit over damage. Hitting is binary - beating their AC by 1 and by 10 is the same thing - and people kind of expect to be hitting rather than missing anyway. But the DM might get up in arms when his monsters suddenly start dying in one or two hits whereas it used to take them a lot longer to die, and if he's inexperienced, could try to close the gap by sending more monsters and inadvertently wiping you with superior action economy.

SouthpawSoldier
2014-06-28, 10:49 PM
Normally I would bard it up; I loves me the buff/battlefield control/problem solving that goes into the class. The guys are pretty insistent they need a blaster; not sure exactly why. I do know that they had a hard time with a hydra the previous session.

Haven't seen how these guys play since this campaign was at level 2; my Spellscale Bardic Sage with Deadly Defense (since deceased) actually proved viable then. I just did it for the flavor; professor with Perform (Lecture) that would panic and flail about with his walking stick/cudgel. Tres entertaining. His usefulness probably stemmed from the DM throwing me bones; anagram puzzles based on the West Gate to Moria, finding rare history books as treasure, etc.

They may have improved in the 3 months or so since that session, and 3 levels is plenty to change the course of a build; so who knows what they're rolling with now.

This is a post-undead apocalypse setting, so undead are all over the place. I heard the party was hitting the edges if the Underdark, as well; apparently the Drow have a Undead Doomsday device....? In any case, the party is really melee heavy; I'm assuming the desire for a blaster caster stems from a lack of ranged options.

Flickerdart
2014-06-28, 11:14 PM
If they want you to blast, just pick up a reserve feat. The damage output from it shouldn't be too high to scare them (though "omg he gets infinity spells" might). But now I'm trying to think if there are any spells that simultaneously do damage and buff your allies...damage+debuff is probably easier to swing. Warlocks can even do it.

Khedrac
2014-06-29, 02:13 AM
If they want you to blast, just pick up a reserve feat. The damage output from it shouldn't be too high to scare them (though "omg he gets infinity spells" might). But now I'm trying to think if there are any spells that simultaneously do damage and buff your allies...damage+debuff is probably easier to swing. Warlocks can even do it.

I think this reserve feat idea is the best for making a blaster without going overpowered. If you then make the character a buffing toon (wizard or sorceror going for War-weaver might be too o.p. for them) you can then boost them whilst being their glass cannon. The biggest problem may be the lack of range of the cannon - so how about a buffing sorc with one blast per spell level? Use the reserve blast normally and the actual spell when you have to.