PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 4e] For Blood and Gold IC

Drakeburn
2014-06-28, 06:48 PM
After a long journey, you see a tall castle standing alone in a wide and spacious clearing.
As you approach the castle, you notice that there are others on the road heading the same way from ahead, and at a distance behind you.
As you arrive at the gates of the castle, a head pops up from the battlements above and barks "Who goes there?"

GPuzzle
2014-06-28, 07:17 PM
"You tell me! I'm Atran Coldstone, from the Winter Mountain Barbarians tribe!"

Drakeburn
2014-06-29, 10:51 AM
"You're a bit far from home, aren't ya?" The guard responds.
"And who may the rest of you be?" He asks as he folds his arms and rests them in between the battlements.

Necroticplague
2014-06-29, 10:58 AM
"Well, I''m me, obviously, and that all I am. And yes, we have all come a long way."

Drakeburn
2014-06-29, 08:29 PM
"That's an odd name...." The guard says to himself.
"Anyways, state your business!" The guard barks as he suddenly straightens himself up.

Gavran
2014-06-29, 11:17 PM
Zachariel Wright

"Sir, I can't say I know my purpose here, only that this is where I should be. Is there a reason you're asking? Something going on that you might need help with?"

Binks
2014-06-30, 10:58 AM
"Name's Sword. Heard there was work for a merc around these parts. Here to offer my services to the ruler of this place..." the warforged, sword sheathed at the hip and shield strapped to his back, answered before adding "Looks like he could use some quality help." with an arrogant smirk.

Drakeburn
2014-06-30, 06:49 PM
"Do you take me for a fool!?" The guard yells back angrily.
"How funny do you think it is to have arrows in your....."
Another guard interrupts the guard and whispers something into his ear before leaving.
"My apologies. The king is actually expecting you."
Shortly after the guard vanishes from your sight, the gates and portcullises open, revealing a path outlined with guards that lead to a set of red doors with a golden trim.
"This way to the king."

You follow the path to the doors, which open as soon as you reached them. Inside you see a long velvet carpet which leads to the royal thrones, where the king is sitting.
"Come closer mercenaries." The king says to you.

Gavran
2014-06-30, 11:10 PM
Zachariel Wright

"No harm done, I'm sure you have a good reason to be on alert. I hope things get better soon."

Zach starts down the path, giving the guards a friendly smile. When he sees the king, he gives a polite bow and comes forward.

shamgar001
2014-06-30, 11:17 PM
Rogun breathes hard and pumpes his short legs as he catches up to the group at the gate.

"Oi'm a-comen *pant pant* 'old yon door open for Oi!"

He makes it through the gate before stopping, stooping over with his hands on his knees. He starts to dig through his beltpouch for the summons he received.

Binks
2014-07-01, 10:30 AM
Sword waits for the gate to open before entering with a confident stride. Following the path laid out by the guards he takes a moment to size them up, getting an impression of their overall skill as he walks.

When he reaches the king the warforged mercenary gives a deep bow of respect. In response to the king's words Sword steps forward a few steps, remaining a comfortable distance away to avoid giving the guards a reason to draw weapons.

Necroticplague
2014-07-01, 10:39 AM
Hearing the king's ominous message, Merca appropriately acts, stepping in with the group to meet this king.

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 12:12 PM
Atran walks behind everyone, trying to see if anyone else's coming.

Drakeburn
2014-07-01, 05:06 PM
"Welcome, brave mercenaries. I do apologize if my guards have given you any trouble." The king begins, briefly stopping to clear his throat.
"I've had a lone patrolman report to me that a dragon has crossed the Northern border of Alithen, and made itself a lair there. I'm afraid that the task of slaying this monster has proven difficult for my soldiers to accomplish. So I have called you here sellswords, to see that this dragon is slain, so it can no longer endanger the well-being of the citizens of my kingdom. If you can accomplish this, you will be handsomely rewarded."
"What do have to say, sellswords?"

Binks
2014-07-01, 06:33 PM
Sword thinks for a moment, hand on his chin, before he gives a response. "I would say you are wise to offer a task like this to mercenaries. It sounds like a perfect task for a band of warriors and, assuming enough of the others you have summoned are willing to go, I don't think we'll have any troubles with this your majesty." he says in a calm tone of voice, glancing at the others gathered to judge their responses.

Gavran
2014-07-01, 08:46 PM
Zachariel Wright

A dragon... perhaps this is what I've been waiting for.

"I will not allow the foul beast to threaten your people."

GPuzzle
2014-07-01, 08:50 PM
"Dragons. Overglorified giant lizards. We'll find a way to deal with them."

Drakeburn
2014-07-02, 06:17 PM
The king nods, then turns to Merca and Rogun.
"And how about you two? What do you have to say to this?"

shamgar001
2014-07-02, 06:56 PM
Rogun narrows his eyes. Dragons - no better than the rest of the scaled vermin, despite their pretensions.

"Et'll be moi pleasure."

Necroticplague
2014-07-02, 07:40 PM
Thanks to coming from a place both cold and not not exactly a wealth of desirable, Merca is rather short on knowlege of what a dragon is. Trying to construct an image from her allies descriptions ends up with an image of a gecko the size of a wagon with wings. Which is honestly a more comical than intimidating picture. So with a toothy grin:

"Sounds easy enough. Shall we drag it corpse back as proof of deed, or shall just a head do?"

Drakeburn
2014-07-02, 08:08 PM
"I prefer that you bring me its head." The king replies.
"You'll find the dragon's lair under a lonely hill in the North. It will be a two day journey to the Dragon's Hill. You'll know when you see it.
But be warned adventurers, for many dangers lay ahead in your path."
The king stops for a moment to take a deep breath.
"Your quest has begun, brave warriors. The fate of this kingdom rests upon your shoulders." As if on cue, the doors behind you swing wide open.

Gavran
2014-07-03, 06:22 PM
Zachariel Wright

"Then the kingdom need not worry while I live. But, my lord, before we leave - is there a man in your court familiar with the journey we will make who might help us prepare?"

Drakeburn
2014-07-05, 12:11 AM
"I don't know if anyone in the royal court would know how to deal with a dragon....." The king answers, scratching his brown beard.
"But I think there is someone who might be of assistance. An old friend of mine, a wizard named Markus Shaulfer, runs a small mage academy in his tower two miles Northwest from here. He may help you, or maybe he will not."

Gavran
2014-07-05, 05:25 AM
Zachariel Wright

"Then I think that is where we should begin."
Zach turns to gauge the reactions of the others. "Thoughts? Objections?"

GPuzzle
2014-07-05, 07:20 AM
"Let's just hope for the best and be prepared for the worst."

Drakeburn
2014-07-05, 08:55 PM
"Make haste mercenaries!" The king says to you.
"There is no telling when this dragon will attack the kingdom!"

Necroticplague
2014-07-05, 09:05 PM
O.k., We're going.

With this, Merca turns and heads for the door, retracing the steps to get outa this place. She'd like to be back in wolf from for travelling, But she's gonna have to wait till she's far enough from the town that the guards won't flip.

Gavran
2014-07-06, 06:31 AM
Zachariel Wright

"Fair enough, good king. There will be plenty of time to plan on the road."

He offers the king a deferential smile, then sets off with the others out of the castle.

GPuzzle
2014-07-06, 09:22 AM
"The dragon won't wait. Less talking, more walking." Atran picks up his gouge, gives the king a short salute from his Tribe, and walks with his companions.

shamgar001
2014-07-06, 05:18 PM
Rogun turns and follows the others out. He wishes they had more information, but is unwilling to cause delay. Surely a dragon couldn't be so hard to find.

"Any of you'm foin gennelmen 'ave a map? Oi'm afaid Oi'm not frum around these parts."

Gavran
2014-07-07, 06:18 AM
Zachariel Wright

Once clear of the castle walls, Zach searches the horizon for the academy the king mentioned.

"I have no map, but the wizard's tower is only two miles away - perhaps he'd have one, if you're not comfortable heading after the dragon without it. Either way, I think you're worrying too much friend. I believe we will find the creature's lair without difficulty."

Though his tone and words suggest he's receptive to suggestions and ideas, Zach continues his march toward the tower without stopping to talk.

Binks
2014-07-07, 10:20 AM
Swords follows the others out of the king's presence and out of the castle grounds. Once outside, when a map is asked for, he simply shrugs, points in a vaguely northwesterly direction along the road, and head out, walking shortly behind Zachariel.

shamgar001
2014-07-09, 10:54 PM
Rogun follows behind the group. These others seem to know their way around the area.

Drakeburn
2014-07-10, 01:48 PM
Journeying Northwest, a half an hour of traveling leads you into a forest at a dirt path.
As you progress towards your destination, you come upon an unusual sight: ahead of your path you find part of the road blanketed by dead kobolds.

Binks
2014-07-10, 01:54 PM
Sword holds up an arm to try and signal the others to pause as he looks around the area, wary of whatever killed the Kobalds.

Perception check: [roll0]. I probably won't see anything, but hoping someone more perception will take the initiative to do a better search, or that I'll get lucky.

Necroticplague
2014-07-10, 07:23 PM
Noting the bunch of dead kobolds, Merca shifts into wolf form. While a good chain works as well as a bite, wolf run faster, if need be. She looks and smells around with canine snout to make sure its safe to go near the kobolds (and more importantly, start rifling through their pockets).

Perception: [roll0]

Gavran
2014-07-10, 07:52 PM
Zachariel Wright

Letting the wolf search the area, Zach shifts uneasily and takes a defensive position before the others.

GPuzzle
2014-07-10, 10:52 PM
Atran readies up his Gouge, and starts looking around to see if anyone's waiting to set up an ambush.

I'm traveling right now, and therefore I need someone to make the rolls for me, because my phone doesn't recognize them. Can anyone make a Perception check at +8?

Gavran
2014-07-10, 11:20 PM
That sounds really weird. I should try with my phone sometime.

But here you go.
[roll0]

Edit:
I'd say I should've warned you, except you've seen my attack rolls lately. :P

Drakeburn
2014-07-11, 12:13 PM
As Merca searches the scene, the kobolds suddenly open their eyes and rise up!

Roll for Initiative!

The scene (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=77926)

Binks
2014-07-11, 12:33 PM
Sword observes the rising Kobalds with some confusion. "Alright...that...that I did not expect..." he says as he readies himself for battle.

Init: [roll0] (yay for no bonus to init)

Necroticplague
2014-07-11, 12:38 PM
Seeing and smelling that these guys are faking relatively easily (what, they couldn't at least cover themselves with entrails?), it comes as no surprise to Merca when they all stand up. She was hoping to have a little more time to warn her allies, but such is life.

[roll0]
Keep in mind my First Strike means I have CA against anyone who hasn't acted yet during the first round.

GPuzzle
2014-07-11, 07:00 PM
It doesn't even show the numbers.

[roll0]

Someone tell me the results and stuff.
Sorry for bothering you guys.

Gavran
2014-07-11, 07:41 PM
Trying on my phone. Initiative: [roll0]

Edit: Possible to roll at least, but yeah, I don't see the numbers either. Too weird.
I don't mind helping you at all though.

Current results:
Merca: 24
Sword: 9
Atran: 9
Zach: 4

shamgar001
2014-07-12, 12:47 AM
Apparently I'm the only one here not on my phone.

[roll0]