PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Spend points on BAB, saves, skills and class features

Larkas
2014-06-28, 07:58 PM
I'm not even sure that this is the right place to ask it, but here goes: do you guys know of any classless system based on D&D 3.5, where you spend the same kind of points in BAB, saves, skills and class features?

BESM d20 comes close to this with its Adventurer class, but I'd like to know if any system took a more holistic approach to this.

Piggy Knowles
2014-06-28, 08:06 PM
No, but I'm not super familiar with subsystems. Closest to this in WotC-published material would be the generic classes in UA, where classes are pretty bland and featureless, and you pick your own skills, and buy class features as feats.

Red Fel
2014-06-28, 09:08 PM
I'm not even sure that this is the right place to ask it, but here goes: do you guys know of any classless system based on D&D 3.5, where you spend the same kind of points in BAB, saves, skills and class features?

BESM d20 comes close to this with its Adventurer class, but I'd like to know if any system took a more holistic approach to this.

Ah... Hmm. Here's the thing.

"Classless system" is one thing, "based on D&D 3.5" is entirely another. There are systems out there that are classless, point-buy systems which will allow you to purchase your attack bonus, saves, skills, and abilities (GURPS is a particular favorite of mine), and then there are systems "based on D&D 3.5," which tend to be class-based systems.

In my experience, you're unlikely to find a system that operates like 3.5 but is classless; you're better off learning a proper point-buy system. You might consider asking in the Roleplaying Games general forum, rather than the 3.5 subforum; there are a lot of threads where people ask about "Is there a system where...?"

Larkas
2014-06-28, 11:35 PM
Ah... Hmm. Here's the thing.

"Classless system" is one thing, "based on D&D 3.5" is entirely another. There are systems out there that are classless, point-buy systems which will allow you to purchase your attack bonus, saves, skills, and abilities (GURPS is a particular favorite of mine), and then there are systems "based on D&D 3.5," which tend to be class-based systems.

In my experience, you're unlikely to find a system that operates like 3.5 but is classless; you're better off learning a proper point-buy system. You might consider asking in the Roleplaying Games general forum, rather than the 3.5 subforum; there are a lot of threads where people ask about "Is there a system where...?"

Hmmm, not quite. Mutants & Masterminds is classless and entirely based on 3.5, though it's not what I'm looking for. Arguably, Legend is also classless, though it does have more structure than a true classless system. BESM d20 does have adaptation rules to make it truly classless, but the prices given to abilities, though a lot more sensible than the value WotC thought they had, are still off (though I suspect this has more to do with oversimplification than underestimation). I'm not sure such a system exists, but hey, it doesn't hurt asking. Still, as you said, I'm not sure this subforum is the best place to ask it. If it comes to that, I'll repost it in the general role playing subforum eventually.

fluke1993
2014-06-29, 12:53 AM
I thought M&M was based on the d20 itself, not 3.5?

Reshy
2014-06-29, 01:50 AM
If you want a class that does a little of everything use Factotum. But as far as I'm aware there's no classless system, feel free to make one though.

avr
2014-06-29, 05:31 AM
The 3.0 DMG has a system which works like this. It was bad enough to sink without trace in the next edition though.

Larkas
2014-06-29, 08:34 AM
I thought M&M was based on the d20 itself, not 3.5?

OGL v1.1. It's almost the same thing. :smallredface:

Grod_The_Giant
2014-06-29, 10:38 AM
Mmm... True20? It has generic classes by default, but it does have rules for point-buy class design...

Larkas
2014-06-29, 04:27 PM
Mmm... True20? It has generic classes by default, but it does have rules for point-buy class design...

Oh! I'll be sure to check it out!