PDA

View Full Version : Subtle Bestow Curse

TheElfLord
2007-02-25, 09:43 PM
Alright, so I was reading the description of Bestow Curse the other day, and I was wondering if all the effects would be readaly noticable. Specifically the one that gives a -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. I mean, if the character isn't doing any of those at the time the spell is cast, would they know that something was wrong?

Now as far as I can tell, since the spell requires words and touching, it would be hard for the character not to realize a spell was being cast on him. (Although if anyone has a good idea for how this could happen I'd love to hear it, I was thinking maybe while the person was asleep) But if the person bluffs them into thinking he's casting a helpful spell and instead casts bestow curse, would the character know?

Stevenson
2007-02-25, 09:47 PM
The best way of doing that would be to take some levels in divine prankster, from Races of Stone. Of course, this limits your race, deity, class and thus also domains. However, they can disguise their spells as comedic performances. If you're working against a group that has no reason to suspect the stand-up that just rolled in to town, and the leader happens to be called up as a volunteer, then who'd be the wiser?

Of course, this is even better when combined with mark of justice.

oriong
2007-02-25, 09:48 PM
No they wouldn't, unless they suceeded against a DC 25+spell level Spellcraft roll, and then it would be much easier to just ID it as it's cast.

Galathir
2007-02-25, 09:50 PM
Well, the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from Complete Scoundrel could help keep your opponent from even knowing a spell was cast on him. A good dose of bluff couldn't hurt either. I am without my PHB right now, so I don't know if there is anything that might make the subject aware of the spell. Without more information, I guess it would be up to the DM.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-25, 09:54 PM
Silent, Stilled Bestow Curse delivered via a handshake or bump in a crowd?

Jack_Simth
2007-02-25, 09:55 PM
You can hold the charge indefinately, provided you don't touch anything.

PC's walk in to meet with NPC. NPC casts Bestow Curse before the meeting. And shakes a PC's hand.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-25, 10:24 PM
Silent, Stilled Bestow Curse delivered via a handshake or bump in a crowd?

You can hold the charge indefinately, provided you don't touch anything.

PC's walk in to meet with NPC. NPC casts Bestow Curse before the meeting. And shakes a PC's hand.

These are awesome and something I must remember.

Mewtarthio
2007-02-25, 10:57 PM
The best way of doing that would be to take some levels in divine prankster, from Races of Stone. Of course, this limits your race, deity, class and thus also domains. However, they can disguise their spells as comedic performances. If you're working against a group that has no reason to suspect the stand-up that just rolled in to town, and the leader happens to be called up as a volunteer, then who'd be the wiser?

Why go through all the trouble to get a new PrC when you can just take Disguise Spell?