PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Blood and Fire

paperarmor
2014-06-28, 10:29 PM
So I'm thinking of running a One-shot where the players control Dragons instead of standard Characters I'd like to ask if any one else has tried this and how horribly will it backfire on me? Thanks in advance!

Twilightwyrm
2014-06-28, 11:13 PM
Assuming an appropriate story could be put together, it can work just fine. Draconomicon actually has rules for dragon PCs. Just note that if they are any older than juvenile (and even if they are juvenile), it is likely to turn into a fairly high powered campaign. And those are perfectly doable. Get an appropriate adventure, have fun.

Azraile
2014-06-28, 11:22 PM
Dragons with shapeshifting so they can use armor and weapons.... and talking the dragon ascendant class can get a little ugly

Flickerdart
2014-06-28, 11:41 PM
Throw CR rules out of the window. If you're using the "dragons as PCs" thing then they will be really weak, and if you're just letting them play dragons out of the book based on their CR, they will be game-crushingly strong.

Jeff the Green
2014-06-29, 12:03 AM
Throw CR rules out of the window. If you're using the "dragons as PCs" thing then they will be really weak, and if you're just letting them play dragons out of the book based on their CR, they will be game-crushingly strong.

Two options to avoid this. First, gestalt. Put dragon HD/LA on one side and an actual class on the other. Just remember you'll need to up the CR a bit to account for the fact that it's gestalt.

Second, use monster classes. I'm sure there are more out there, but I've got the now-locked Community Based Monster Classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?192151-Community-Based-Monster-Classes-VII) bookmarked, and it has all the standard ones but black, brass, and copper (plus a couple non-standard ones). (You'll need to rescue their tables, though. I recommend using this (http://makaze-kanra.tumblr.com/ForumTableConverter).)

paperarmor
2014-06-29, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think im gonna let them pick a dragon and play as that maybe even adjusted for a race for moar power as I know how these guys operate and am custom designing the mooks based on what they can do so CR is right out.