PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Imp

Invader
2014-06-28, 11:18 PM
What's the earliest a hexblade can get an imp as a familiar if I've already used the dark companion ACF?

Kennisiou
2014-06-29, 12:16 AM
Acquire familiar cannot be taken as a hexblade feat until 6th level even though they get the class feature that grants them a familiar at 2nd level because the acquire familiar feat requires you to be able to cast arcane spells and the hexblade cannot do that at third level. Improved familiar to get an imp familiar cannot be taken until hexblade level 9 as a result.

While lots of people like hexblade follower-heavy builds that grab leadership, improved familiar, and the dark companion ACF, I'm personally not a fan because all three of the feats you want can't be taken until level 6 or later, which means you won't have your base-level functionality until 12th level at the earliest. I honestly prefer intimidation-based fear and ubercharging hexblade builds a lot more.

Inevitability
2014-06-29, 12:57 AM
You can get it at 7th level. Take Arcane Familiar at 6th, then make a Faustian pact when you level up. It even thematically fits with what you are getting from it.