PDA

View Full Version : Runestaff with assay spell resistance?

Hiro Quester
2014-06-29, 01:42 AM
I only have a day in town to buy or sell goods. An important mission awaits, so I can't stay longer.

Want to get a custom runestaff. The DM generously ruled a % chance that someone in town will already have the custom runestaff I was hoping to buy. But I missed the roll.

So if I want a runestaff today, I have to get a fairly standard one, not a custom one.

I'm looking especially for a runestaff with Assay spell resistance.

I don't see that spell one of the many runestaffs in MIC. But maybe I missed it.

Does anyone know if there are other non-custom runestaffs (all books open) that might include that spell? Thanks!

Khedrac
2014-06-29, 02:02 AM
The problem here is the way WotC tend to cross-reference, in that they usually don't.

What do I mean by that? - it is fairly rare for spells from books other than the PHB and the book in question to appear in another book. Yes it happens, especially in adventures, but it means that usually have to print a sidebar for the spell.

So to put a runestaff of assay spell resistance in any book other than the Magic Item Compendium requires several things:
1. A sidebar for assay spell resistance.
2. A sidebar for runestaves.
3. The book to be published after runestaveswere invented. (I assume they were new in the MiC but I do not know that.)

This makes it pretty unlikely such an item exists in a book. My expectation would be your best bet is for an issue of Dragon or Dungeon to contain it, but I would not hold my breath.

Good luck, but plan for this to have to be a custom item - would using retraining to swap the spell into your spell list be an option?

Gadora
2014-06-29, 02:16 AM
I only have a day in town to buy or sell goods. An important mission awaits, so I can't stay longer.

Want to get a custom runestaff. The DM generously ruled a % chance that someone in town will already have the custom runestaff I was hoping to buy. But I missed the roll.

So if I want a runestaff today, I have to get a fairly standard one, not a custom one.

I'm looking especially for a runestaff with Assay spell resistance.

I don't see that spell one of the many runestaffs in MIC. But maybe I missed it.

Does anyone know if there are other non-custom runestaffs (all books open) that might include that spell? Thanks!

I'm more than a few towns over from my books at the moment, so I can't double check this, but I am not aware of runestaffs being in books other than MIC. However, if you're running a spontaneous caster and Dragon Magazine is allowed, you might have interest in knowstones, from 333.

Hiro Quester
2014-06-29, 08:05 AM
I can't retrain a spell anytime soon. (I just made 19th level; I need the spell for the next mission, that will hopefully get me to the even-numbered level at which I can retrain a spell.) And I really like all my 4th level spells.

A knowstone does seem to be an excellent option. (I didn't know (!) about them.) My character has pretty high gather information skills, to be able to find someone selling them during a day in the Big City.

I'll run that by the DM. Thanks for the suggestion.