PDA

View Full Version : The Wind Dragon: Adding Air, Neutral Alignment, and Oriental Theme to the Dragon Menu

Windrammer
2014-06-29, 04:40 AM
I've long been a little dissatisfied with the dragon menu as presented by the monsters manual and decided to devise the kind of dragon that I feel should have a place. I wanted to add a couple things to the Dragon menu... The element air/lightning and the Neutral alignment. A flexible neutral alignment, instead of every one having to be True Neutral or Neutral Good. I considered making the according species for the different Neutral alignments (Cloud Dragon, Storm Dragon...) but have decided against it for the time being.

Also, I wanted to throw in a flair of the oriental. I imagine this as an Asian dragon. Wingless, floating.

In keeping with this theme, I imagine it casting spells as Cleric rather than Sorceror, with the Air and/or Travel domain. Because it's more 'zen' and it makes sense for the only dragon to fly without wings to have a special connection to the element that flying is associated with (although fly isn't actually part of the air domain but whatever, it should be).

Air Domain: Obscuring mist, Wind wall, Gaseous Form, Air Walk, Control Winds, Chain Lightning.

Travel Domain: Longstrider, Locate Object, Fly, Dimension Door, Teleport, Find the Path, Greater Teleport

Naturally, their initial special ability is a permanent fly effect. Maybe they acquire domain spells as Dragons acquire special ability spells, perhaps at a faster rate.

After that... Perhaps Wind Wall > Control Winds > Teleport > Chain Lightning > Greater Teleport at whatever levels are appropriate.

And of course, spells as the appropriate cleric level.

Breath attack is either a nonlethal gust of wind or a line of lightning.

And to make them really stand out, perhaps DR/Physical. Yes, physical. They're so special and different that they're resistant to magic instead of physical damage.
___

Lorewise...

Wind Dragons usually horde no treasure, with the occasional exception of one or slightly more prized possessions that it considers important or holy enough as to require a guardian. (For questing's sake, a reason for PC's to pursue them. A red dragon has a lot of gold but a Wind dragon has a super special weapon of legend.)

More often, Wind Dragons spend their days exploring the world, for they crave knowledge and wisdom over wealth. In almost all situations Wind Dragons are utterly unconfrontational, to the point of avoiding contact altogether. They are so effectively elusive that many are left unaware of their existence, dismissing the tales of wingless dragons appearing and vanishing in the skies as mad ramblings. In rare cases, a LN/NG Wind Dragon will preside over isolated communities of some intelligent race, bestowing blessings and wisdom upon the worthy as it protects them from whatever danger may arise. CN/NE Dragons... I don't know what they do. I'm too tired to come up with any more
___

TLDR

Appearance: Oriental, Wingless, White or maybe any other color.

Alignment: Any Neutral.

Breath Attack: Nonlethal Gust of Wind or Line of Lightning

Spells: As Cleric, Air and Travel Domain.

Special Abilities: Permanent Fly, Energy Resistance. Wind Wall > Control Winds > Teleport > Chain Lightning > Greater Teleport

DR/Physical
___

Not particularly interesting, but it's thematically consistent. More than anything I just like an Oriental, Neutral aligned Dragon that can spit lightning. I would like to insert them into my campaigns but I have very little experience in making creatures, so I make this post, to hear thoughts, suggestions, and, potentially, why my ideas are stupid.

And yes, I did post this (to no response) on one other website if by some insane coincidence someone recognizes it.

Debihuman
2014-07-01, 07:16 AM
Have you taken a look at the dragons from Oriental Adventures? The T’ien Lung Dragons are lawful neutral air dragons. See pages 161-163.

Debby