PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character idea---Cleric

gnewman
2014-06-29, 08:54 AM
Hey guys, So I was making a character for my buddies campaign, I have never made a caster and know very very little about spells. I usually play either rogues or fighters...regardless.

I was wanting to build a melee focuses Fledgling cleric that is built around casting darkness on a piece of Armour and wading into battle with his dark vision and slashing people with his scythe. I'm not really sure how viable this will be so i was wondering if you guys could check my myth weavers sheet and let me know if you have any thoughts. I havent done much gear yet or my skill points.

Level 5 4k gold start and 15 point buy.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=941580

THANKS!

SethoMarkus
2014-06-29, 09:40 AM
I was wanting to build a melee focuses Fledgling cleric that is built around casting darkness on a piece of Armour and wading into battle with his dark vision and slashing people with his scythe.

Unfortunately, that would not work out in your favor. The spell Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) causes a miss chance for all creatures in the area, even if they have Low-Light Vision or Dark Vision (unless they have some other magical sight, sight as True Seeing).

Although this is still a decent character concept, the Dark Vision alone won't remove the concealment and miss chance for your character.

prufock
2014-06-29, 10:28 AM
Dip warlock for the devil's sight least invocation, then go eldritch disciple (lose 1 caster level) or just more cleric.

Requiem_Jeer
2014-06-29, 11:02 AM
Or just prepare the spell Ebon Eyes, which allows existing darkvision to see in magical darkness.

TandemChelipeds
2014-06-29, 11:14 AM
Hey guys, So I was making a character for my buddies campaign, I have never made a caster and know very very little about spells. I usually play either rogues or fighters...regardless.

I was wanting to build a melee focuses Fledgling cleric that is built around casting darkness on a piece of Armour and wading into battle with his dark vision and slashing people with his scythe. I'm not really sure how viable this will be so i was wondering if you guys could check my myth weavers sheet and let me know if you have any thoughts. I havent done much gear yet or my skill points.

Level 5 4k gold start and 15 point buy.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=941580

THANKS!

For spells, you have some good choices prepared and some bad choices. Keep in mind that you shouldn't focus on damage-dealing spells; you have weapons and teammates for that, and that isn't really where magic excels anyway. What magic is good at is providing utility and tilting things in your party's favour. On an intuitive level, your planned usage of Darkness is good, but the spell itself isn't that great.

Level 0
Stabilize: Kinda redundant when you have actual healing. Speaking of which, are you going with positive or negative channeling? I recommend positive.
Bleed: Useless. If you really want someone to bleed out, just attack them.
Detect Magic: Yes. Always keep this one prepared.
Cure Light Wounds: This isn't a 0-level spell.
Recommended:Create Water(never go thirsty, plus some utility for puzzle-solving), Detect Magic, Light, Read Magic

Level 1
Command: Basically a combat maneuver that targets their Will save. Meh.
Cure Light Wounds: If you're taking positive channeling, you shouldn't prepare this. You'll be able to sacrifice other spells to cast it anyway.
Swallow Your Fear: I've never seen this one in action. Looks like a decent buff for a barbarian.
Protection From [ALIGNMENT]: This is a good one. The communal and magic circle versions are better. I recommend Evil, since it's the alignment most common in enemies.
Recommended: Obscuring Mist(remember that Darkness trick? This is better), Protection From Evil, Bless, Magic Weapon

Level 2
Cure Moderate Wounds: Again, you shouldn't have to prepare this if you channel positive.
Owl's Wisdom: A good spell, but not very useful for your current setup. Not many of your spells target saves, and the only effect this will have on you is increasing those save DCs. Furthermore, who else in your party uses Wisdom? I recommend taking Bull's Strength if you're really set on dealing damage yourself, or asking the other players which stats they'll be using a lot.
Inflict Moderate Wounds: Not a great choice. Damage-dealing shouldn't be the focus of your spells, especially if you have a perfectly good weapon to hit people with.
Recommended: Bull's Strength, Lesser Restoration, Communal Protection From Evil, Grace, Masterwork Transformation

Level 3
Cure Serious Wounds: If you want to do this much healing, just channel positive and spontaneous-cast that sucker. No need to fill a spell slot.
Vision of Hell: Good, but consider that your cleric is chaotic and the evil alignment most fervently opposed to yours is immune to it.
Recommended: Magic Circle Against Evil, Communal Resist Energy, Dispel Magic

gnewman
2014-06-29, 11:26 AM
This is all some great info and help guys thanks so much, the only thing is im kinda trying to stay away from the usual heal bot cleric. Is there any way to make a cleric that is built around combat? I also like the idea of making an evil cleric.....only problem with that is i still enjoy being...not a douche to my party.

Thats why i figured a sort of selfish warrior type that uses fear to his advantage. It almost seems like i need to make a dread to achieve what i want =[

TandemChelipeds
2014-06-29, 01:12 PM
This is all some great info and help guys thanks so much, the only thing is im kinda trying to stay away from the usual heal bot cleric. Is there any way to make a cleric that is built around combat? I also like the idea of making an evil cleric.....only problem with that is i still enjoy being...not a douche to my party.

Thats why i figured a sort of selfish warrior type that uses fear to his advantage. It almost seems like i need to make a dread to achieve what i want =[

No, it's actually very viable with clerics. But martial clerics and debuffing clerics are pretty different animals(though this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you aren't stuck with the same spells all the time). Which would you rather focus on?

Synar
2014-06-29, 06:55 PM
Dip warlock for the devil's sight least invocation, then go eldritch disciple (lose 1 caster level) or just more cleric.

How are you theurging with only one caster level lost? I mean, eldritch disciple is nice, but that is looking like two levels lost to me (first level does not advance spellcasting).

Craft (Cheese)
2014-06-29, 07:23 PM
I also like the idea of making an evil cleric.....only problem with that is i still enjoy being...not a douche to my party.

You can be an evil cleric (of any flavor) and still do this: Come up with a reason why you don't want to be a jackass to your fellow party members. Every character needs to do this anyway, unless you're playing the type of game where intra-party backstabbing is encouraged (and those are relatively rare, all things considered). The only explanation for this that's not available to evil characters is "Because I'm a good guy and that's what good guys do."

prufock
2014-06-29, 09:17 PM
How are you theurging with only one caster level lost? I mean, eldritch disciple is nice, but that is looking like two levels lost to me (first level does not advance spellcasting).
To be clearer: The one level I mentioned referred to level 1 of Eldritch Disciple. I assumed the warlock level was obvious.

fullplak
2014-06-29, 11:43 PM
thanks for all the information guys