PDA

View Full Version : Please no human

gnewman
2014-06-29, 11:58 AM
So, I think ima try making a gunslinger....god help me. is there any other race 3rd party accepted that gets a bonus feat?

I just dont want to always play a human, but ive heard gunslingers really need that extra feat.

Alex12
2014-06-29, 12:02 PM
If you can get your hands on Ponyfinder and get your DM to accept that (which may or may not be difficult), ponies have a bonus feat. Admittedly, the lack of hands may limit you somewhat, though it's still workable with weapon racks and/or the Horn Magic feat-line.

Karmea
2014-06-29, 12:07 PM
Strongheart Halfling from FR has an extra feat if 3.5 is okay.

Alaris
2014-06-29, 08:09 PM
If you can get your hands on Ponyfinder and get your DM to accept that (which may or may not be difficult), ponies have a bonus feat. Admittedly, the lack of hands may limit you somewhat, though it's still workable with weapon racks and/or the Horn Magic feat-line.

At the end of the day, it depends on what kind of game the DM is running. If it's comedy-centric, sure, Ponyfinder would fit.

But if he's trying to run a serious game? Yeah... I can't see one accepting Ponyfinder.

That said, as said above, if your DM will accept a 3.5 race, you can play a Strongheart Halfling, you can get a bonus feat.

Alex12
2014-06-29, 08:21 PM
At the end of the day, it depends on what kind of game the DM is running. If it's comedy-centric, sure, Ponyfinder would fit.

But if he's trying to run a serious game? Yeah... I can't see one accepting Ponyfinder.
I like how Ponyfinder takes itself completely seriously despite the fact that literally everyone reading it knows exactly what it's referring to.
That said, I'm in a serious game now (Council of Thieves Adventure Path) and playing a Pegasus Sorcerer. The DM restricted the bonus feat by saying that it had to be from Ponyfinder, but since I was planning on doing that anyway, I suffer not at all. But I take your meaning, hence the caveat as to how convincing the DM may or may not be difficult.

You could also work with your DM to build a custom race using the Advanced Race Guide. A bonus feat (per Flexible Bonus Feat) is worth 4 Race Points.

jaydubs
2014-06-29, 09:33 PM
Just a suggestion, but I've found a lot of DMs open to reflavoring options so long as it doesn't offer a mechanical advantage. You might seriously ask if you can play another race, built on the human chassis.

"Hey DM. You know, I've got this great character idea for an elf that [insert interesting background]. The problem is, my build really needs that extra feat. Would it be okay if I use the human racial stats, but roleplay the character as an elf?"

Many of the DMs I've played under would have thought about that for a moment, and then given something like that the green light. And it never hurts to ask.

gnewman
2014-06-30, 09:19 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! I cant imagine playing a pony....the idea makes me cringe, i think im going to take jaydubs advice and ask my DM, hes a good friend of mine and im sure we can figure something out.

you guys rock!