PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder mashups of two arch types

hoborobot
2014-06-29, 03:48 PM
if i want to roll a barbarian in pathfinder, is it possible for me to use 2 archtypes at the same time if they dont have any conflicting quality's such as invulnerable rager, and totem warrior. if yes, which book would i find it in and the page number will also help. thank you.

TheIronGolem
2014-06-29, 03:57 PM
A character can take more than one archetype and garner additional alternate class features, but none of the alternate class features can replace or alter the same class feature from the core class as another alternate class feature. For example, a paladin could not be both a hospitaler and an undead scourge since they both modify the smite evil class feature and both replace the aura of justice class feature. A paladin could, however, be both an undead scourge and a warrior of the holy light, since none of their new class features replace the same core class feature.

So you could take Breaker and Wild Rager, but neither would combine with, say, Armored Hulk.

Source (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian#TOC-Archetypes-Alternate-Class-Features)

grarrrg
2014-06-29, 06:51 PM
totem warrior

I'm really not sure the Totem Warrior should even count as an archetype, seeing as how it does LITERALLY NOTHING.

But yes, archetypes can stack as long as you don't trade away the same feature twice.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-06-29, 09:43 PM
I'm really not sure the Totem Warrior should even count as an archetype, seeing as how it does LITERALLY NOTHING.

But yes, archetypes can stack as long as you don't trade away the same feature twice.

Well, it used to let you take more than one totem. Still not sure why it's unbalanced to do otherwise. Well, in any case they "fixed" that "problem." Now there's Beast Totem....and a whole bunch of wasted ink for any games that reach level 10+.

Spore
2014-06-30, 11:10 AM
Well, it used to let you take more than one totem. Still not sure why it's unbalanced to do otherwise. Well, in any case they "fixed" that "problem." Now there's Beast Totem....and a whole bunch of wasted ink for any games that reach level 10+.

I LOVE Chaos Totem flavorwise. Sadly even my 15th level barbarian couldn't afford to spend a power on that. (Imho, all totems except Beast Totem should be rolled into ONE power each).

grarrrg
2014-06-30, 10:28 PM
Most of the Totem powers are fairly solid on their own, but...POUNCE!

Celestial grants an Invisibility Purge effect, and is pretty awesome if you fight EVIL creatures a lot.
But Pounce...

Chaos is great vs. Lawful enemies.
But Pounce...

Dragon gives you a variety of Save boosts, Energy Resistance (and possibly a DR boost depending on how you read it), it even gives you WINGS!
But Pounce...

Fiend gives a Gore attack, returns some damage if hit in Melee, and Greater is freakin sweet in an "Evil vs. Good" campaign.
But Pounce...

Hive Totem makes you IMMUNE to damage from Swarms/Vermin, and your Bite Attack gets pretty solid CON poison as a side effect (with the save DC based on Barb level and CON of all things).
But Pounce...

Spirit is better if you have a decent CHA, giving you an extra attack every round, 20% 'non-adjacent' miss chance, and automatic 1d8 to all living adjacent creature every round (not an attack, just straight up 'they take damage'!).
But Pounce...

World Serpent is decent if fighting a lot of Aberrations/Outsiders and cannot be knocked Prone.
But Pounce...

World Serpent gets a nod in E6 games, as it's the only Totem you can 'complete', but if you can get to level 10 then Beast all the way.

StreamOfTheSky
2014-06-30, 11:50 PM
What I mean is, other than pounce (and seriously, just that part, the rest of beast totem is subpar, mediocre at best), none of the totem powers are blatantly amazingly must-haves compared to other rage powers, so I don't get why they can't just let the barb take multiple totems if he so desires. It doesn't break *anything*.
That could change with the advent of new uber totems, but the totem concept's been around like half a decade now and that hasn't happened yet.