PDA

View Full Version : You're damn right The Departed was the best film of the year.

White Rook
2007-02-26, 12:33 AM
And they finally decided to stop snubbing Scorsese. It was a pretty agreeable night at the Oscars, for once.

ElfLad
2007-02-26, 01:06 AM
Boop yeah! I loved The Departed.

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-26, 03:40 AM
For the main categories, it was certainly agreeable, perhaps the most agreeable in recent years. However, I contest that, like last year, some awards were given due to what was vogue in Hollywood politics, rather than the merits of the candidate.

The main suspect? Best Song. I Need to Wake Up from An Inconvenient Truth. Did these guys LISTEN to Listen or Our Town? They were, in my honest opinion, better songs. I believe INtWU only got it because it was attached to a film concerned about the environment and people voted on that, rather than the actual song quality.

The other, slightly lesser, suspect was Happy Feet and its best Animated Film gong. Okay, it was a great film and had a lot riding for it, but I can't help but suspect people voted for it due to its environmental message, rather than its story or animation. Cars was robbed by political correctness. Admittedly I love Pixar films, so I may be biased here, but I'm sure the Dreamgirls crowd aren't happy about Best Song either.

Artega
2007-02-26, 03:48 AM
I'm happy for Scorsese, if I had such a prolific career and never got that award, I probably wouldn't think too much of it, but it would certainly make me feel remembered.

AmoDman
2007-02-26, 04:27 AM
Personally I didn't care for most of the films nominated at all, so eh. The Departed was alright...nothing amazing. I liked it well enough, which is saying something since most cop dramas bore me...the acting is what really set The Departed apart. Really well translated characters. I give it 3 1/2 out of 5...

My Best Film of '06? God, I'd have to say a toss-up between The Prestige and V for Vendetta. 'Eff the Academy (though I beg the question, was V technically considered in this year's or last?).

slapdash
2007-02-26, 07:29 AM
At least they finally gave Scorcese an Oscar. I'll believe in the Oscars again when comedies start winning big - of course, they haven't learned their lesson that those movies are far more timeless and difficult than the drama of the moment.

ElfLad
2007-02-26, 10:38 AM
The other, slightly lesser, suspect was Happy Feet and its best Animated Film gong. Okay, it was a great film and had a lot riding for it, but I can't help but suspect people voted for it due to its environmental message, rather than its story or animation. Cars was robbed by political correctness. Admittedly I love Pixar films, so I may be biased here, but I'm sure the Dreamgirls crowd aren't happy about Best Song either.

Cars totally deserved Best Animated Film, although I can't really think of a Pixar film that didn't.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-26, 03:22 PM
yeah, I think it was all because Scorsese hadn't gotten one yet. They did kind of the same thing with Eastwood a few years ago with Million Dollar Baby. He should have won best picture the year before with Mystic River, but they had to give it to Peter Jackson for LOTR since they hadn't given him anything yet. (They really should have a seperate category for that mind of stuff). So, since they screwed Eastwood the year before they gave it to him for a film that shouldn't have won the award. Oddly enough, this year was also the first in about 5 for me that I didn't see at least 3 or 4 of the best picture nominees.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-26, 03:31 PM
I only saw the part where Clint Eastwood came on to introduce Ennio Morricone's music. lawl, he was all like, drunk.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-26, 04:57 PM

Dreamgirls might have lost because the Academy had 3 different Dreamgirls songs to choose from. The multi-nomination probably ruined it.

Mattaeu
2007-02-26, 11:27 PM
I just finished watching The Departed, and it was quite a good film.

There's one thing that I think I must have missed though:
Costigan gives the shrink an envelope. Does she ever open it? Cause...if not, then I'm not just going crazy thinking that I missed something.

RMS Oceanic
2007-02-27, 04:19 AM
Dreamgirls might have lost because the Academy had 3 different Dreamgirls songs to choose from. The multi-nomination probably ruined it.

That's certainly possible, but again, most analysts said if that happened, then Our Town would be the one to benefit (For who doesn't love a Randy Newman Songologue?). Whatever way you slice it, I Need to Wake Up was the least likely winner, which is what's so shocking about it.

AngelAndrius
2007-02-27, 05:25 AM
It was awesome! No doubt about it. But I'm surprised that Leo D. didn't pick up anything for his performances in either The Departed or Blood Diamond (both great films), when is that boy gonna get recognized?! Titanic wasn't that bad.... *cough

Tom_Violence
2007-02-27, 02:33 PM
I agree - I thoroughly enjoyed The Departed. I think I appreciated it all the more for having the film it was based on (Infernal Affairs), because of what was done with that souce material. Stylistically it felt like a true homage to that original, rather than a simple remake/rehash as I feared it might've been. Well done all round, I say.

I just finished watching The Departed, and it was quite a good film.

There's one thing that I think I must have missed though:
Costigan gives the shrink an envelope. Does she ever open it? Cause...if not, then I'm not just going crazy thinking that I missed something.

Chances are that it was the contents of said envelope that led to the film's conclusion - i.e. Wahlberg shooting Damon. You are right in thinking that the actual dealings of the envelope were kept ambiguous and off-camera, though. Probably because it wouldn't have been so effective otherwise.

Joran
2007-02-27, 04:33 PM
I think I appreciated it all the more for having the film it was based on (Infernal Affairs), because of what was done with that source material.

The problem for me was that I absolutely loved the original. That love led to expectations that were much too high and I ended up spending most of the movie trying to pick it apart instead of just watching it.

That and
The mole shot first!

McDeath
2007-03-04, 06:36 AM
Considering just how much I love Infernal Affairs and the way its plot develops, I concluded that seeing a remake would probably only spoil it for me. So I have remained pure.
(I haven't seen An Inconvenient Truth, but gosh darn did Al deserve to win something).