PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help for a new campaign

Walkintherain
2014-06-29, 05:54 PM
Hi all! I'm following the playground for very long time, but this is the first time i'm posting (also, accept my apologises for my bad english).

I actually need your help!
I have been a master since forever, and now i had the chance to play as a character. In my group there are a shapeshifter monk (i don't really know how it works), a CM fighter/barbarian/as**ole and a generalist wizard. I was an (awesome) halfling knight, who wanted to become a vanguard, but i've been killed for beign the only LB character :( I died with honour so it's ok for me :)

Now i get to choose a new character: it's level 2, any manual, race, class. I have actually 0 ideas what to do :S

Can you give me some suggestions on what to pick next? I would like to have a character that can watch over himself, and being a reliable member of the group in many situations.

If you give me some ideas i will really appreciate it, thank you in advance!

Walkintherain

EDIT: for CM i meant caotic evil and for LB i meant lawful good.

Wacky89
2014-06-29, 05:59 PM
what is a LB character?

What do you like to play caster/gish/fighter/rogue ??

Cyanide
2014-06-29, 06:10 PM
A character who can watch over himself... interesting phrasing, which I'm not sure how to interpret.
Seeing your group I would honestly go with a base of either cleric or druid, with everything else depending on the campaign.
The way I see it, clerics and druids are the best suited for playing the self-sufficient guy, especially (imho) the druid.
I'm not speak from an optimization point of view. I heard about the druid being a high tier class, but I'm not really sure what that means, I just see the druid as the kind of class that can get along pretty well in a lot of situations.

Blackhawk748
2014-06-29, 07:09 PM
I recommend Ranger, you hit level 5 and your totally self sufficient. Do some mounted archery with your animal companion for fun and profit.

Falcon X
2014-06-29, 08:48 PM
Some of the most straight-forward self-sufficient characters I can think of are:
- Factotum. No two ways about it, he's the best jack-of-all-trades you can find, .
- Dread Necromancer (Be Necropolitan). He can fight pretty well at low levels, be amazing support at mid, and then be a one-man army at high levels.
- Warblade and Swordsage. Because ToB brings flexibility to the fighter.
- Cleric and Druid, obviously.

Now, if we want to get creative, here are some of my old, useful character ideas:
1. Sunder-Demolitionist - Rogue (Demolitionist ACF, Dragon 338): Cleave and Improved Sunder Feats with Adamantium Miner's Heavy Pick. His ACF changes his sneak attack to effect items and constructs instead of people. So, he jumps in, sunders the weapon, cleaves into armor, then cleaves into the face.
2. Knowledge-focused Duskblade - Duskblade - Liberal use of Knowledge Devotion. I gave him a hummingbird familiar and Spellscale for race. Spellscale was great flavor, and his Bahamut meditation pumped up his channeled spells.
3. Mechanus-produced Crusader - Think the Terminator. I had him be a soldier in Ascheron who was captured by Modrons and then made a deal with a god to have his mind become that of a Koylarut. Now, he's a gruff human in Mechanus armor who relentlessly fulfills contracts.
4. Devil-Lawyer - Factotum/Ur-Priest/Fiend of Corruption/Athar (Dragon 287) - He is a lawyer of the 9 Hells, who uses his various wiles to trick confessions, hunt down truth, and bring people to justice.
5. Dominated One - Raptoran Warlock - Being born a prince amongst raptorans, he believes himself to be better than the rest. He thus made a pact with a dark wind god for his warlock abilities, but then believes he has conquered and overcome this dark god, while he is actually dominated by that god. His unwitting help for evil in situations is often chalked up by Armond as mere bad luck.
6. Berserking Druid - Give a Druid the Shapeshifting ACF and the Druiding Avenger ACF. They are both templates that serve by boosting stats. So, she turns into a wolf or something and then goes berserk. Great flavor, pretty powerful.

Walkintherain
2014-06-30, 02:31 AM
Thank you all, I had some great ideas :)

The allignments were secrets, so were the classes, and i found myself (in times of trouble :D) the only LG character in a band of villains :(
I hate the villain role, i prefer to play the righteous guy, but, in order to live this adventure, i need to be at least N...

About your suggestions, I guess that, having always played the oure fighter character, I would gladly have some change in concept.

Wacky89
Re: Help for a new campaign

what is a LB character?

What do you like to play caster/gish/fighter/rogue ??

To answer your question, I think that I am not a good caster/rogue, I am oriented on a warrior with something peculiar... I don't know yet, like warblade's manoveur or duskblade fighting+casting skills, or an uncommon archer build... I guess it's something between the gish and the fighter :)

Again, thank you all for the answers :)

Walkintherain
2014-06-30, 02:40 AM
6. Berserking Druid - Give a Druid the Shapeshifting ACF and the Druiding Avenger ACF. They are both templates that serve by boosting stats. So, she turns into a wolf or something and then goes berserk. Great flavor, pretty powerful.

This seems really awesome *_* oh does it works, if i may ask? I mean, how should i build one? (feat/progression)

singera
2014-06-30, 05:22 AM
i suggest a dread necromancer personally as they have allot of long term power and good scaling with time and cunning

Larkas
2014-06-30, 07:27 AM
Oh, I second the druid advice! It can play the face-smasher role pretty well (by itself and through its animal companion), and when things start to go sour he does have that full caster chassis to fall back to! Besides, a druid NEEDS to be at least partially Neutral, so there's your excuse for playing LN or CN! :smallsmile:

Walkintherain
2014-06-30, 09:03 AM
After some pondering i think that a shifter (race from "eberron campaign setting") united with a shapeshifter druid and maybe a totemist barbarian could be a really awesome combination to play. I'm not sure it is really powerful, but i would try it. Can you help me in the feat selection/progression on this one? ^_^