PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Ranged and Melee Weapon Mastery on Daggers?

Jowgen
2014-06-29, 06:06 PM
Daggers are Simple Light Thrown Melee weapons.

Provided one meets the prerequisites, is it possible to take both Ranged Weapon Mastery (as its a thrown weapon, which are ranged weapons by definition) and Melee Weapon Mastery, in order to gain a total of +4 to Attack and Damage with a dagger regardless of whether one is throwing it or using it in melee?

This question extends to the Slashing Fury feat.

Jowgen
2014-06-30, 06:12 PM
I know this is probably a pretty basic question, with there being some sort of ruling/example regarding the applicability of weapon feats to weapons that fall into different categories, but any input would be much appreciated :smallsmile:

DeltaEmil
2014-06-30, 06:22 PM
Untyped bonuses normally stack unless they're from the very same source. Ranged Weapon Mastery and Melee Weapon Mastery are not the very same source, despite being very similar. I'd say yes, you do gain a +4 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls when using a dagger with both feats when using it as a melee weapon or a ranged weapon, since the dagger does fulfill both requirements, and the feats only say that it is applied to a ranged weapon in Ranged Weapon Mastery's case, and a melee weapon respectively with Melee Weapon Mastery, not that it must be used as a ranged attack or a melee attack.

sideswipe
2014-06-30, 06:31 PM
rules as intended would probably say that each feat gives you +2 with the dagger on each way you use it and exclusively for it.
otherwise ranged weapon mastery longbow would give you +2 to smack someones face in with an elvencraft longbow.

RAW does not specify this however. the game designers probably thought it arbitrary.

though, since the feats are very weak ones anyway i would allow it for +4 to hit with daggers only for two feats..... wooppeeeee! (sarcasm)

Jowgen
2014-06-30, 06:46 PM
though, since the feats are very weak ones anyway i would allow it for +4 to hit with daggers only for two feats..... wooppeeeee! (sarcasm)

+4 to hit and damage :smallwink:

I know its sub-optimal, but it would work for my "throw lots and lots of daggers" build, where adding a little bit of damage to each dagger results in quite a nice boost to damage output, especially as I don't have the option of enchanting each dagger separately or use Bloodstorm Blade (long story).