PDA

View Full Version : Real tough question about animal companion

Donny_Green
2014-06-29, 07:46 PM
So if any of you had read any of my previous posts I have a VoP ranger... No this not a board to bash VoP or Ranger, though I might be bashing them myself.

My question is whether VoP is limited to me or my companion as well? There are two different ways to look at this, does he benefit from the bonuses, and or does he suffer from the penalties of the feat?

Please leave anything that is a GM ruling to my GM. I'm hopping for RAW, and in the event that this one straddles the line, some good debate.

Thanks for the help

Shieldbunny
2014-06-29, 07:57 PM
That's a tough one, do you own things you're animal companion wears? I say avoid that question all together and pay a druid to awaken it, then but it "gifts" to "better it's lot in life". Otherwise I'd say it's a no go as that's kind of like asking is you own things your dog uses. Technically yes, even if he doesn't see it that way.

Donny_Green
2014-06-29, 08:02 PM
That's a tough one, do you own things you're animal companion wears? I say avoid that question all together and pay a druid to awaken it, then but it "gifts" to "better it's lot in life". Otherwise I'd say it's a no go as that's kind of like asking is you own things your dog uses. Technically yes, even if he doesn't see it that way.

well my animal companion is under the exhaulted companion feat, so he is a magical beast, and sentient.

eggynack
2014-06-29, 08:12 PM
He kinda does both. All of your cash needs to be donated to charity, so you can't equip him, but if you have exalted companion, then you can have him pick VoP as a feat, and then he gets bonuses. Such is the nature of things.

heavyfuel
2014-06-29, 08:36 PM
He definitely doesn't get the benefit (though he does gain HD and the feats that come with it, and can pick up VoP with them)

They're a different creature, so they don't have to suffer the penalties of the feat either.

eggynack
2014-06-29, 08:40 PM
They're a different creature, so they don't have to suffer the penalties of the feat either.
Well, they kinda do. The penalties are that you don't get cool items, and the animal companion of a VoP guy doesn't get cool items. Granted, they wouldn't necessarily get items anyway, but there aren't really any penalties beyond that. I guess they could theoretically still do a couple of things that VoP guy can't, cause the feat is worded in a silly way, but it's mostly not incredibly relevant.

heavyfuel
2014-06-29, 08:47 PM
Well, they kinda do. The penalties are that you don't get cool items, and the animal companion of a VoP guy doesn't get cool items. Granted, they wouldn't necessarily get items anyway, but there aren't really any penalties beyond that. I guess they could theoretically still do a couple of things that VoP guy can't, cause the feat is worded in a silly way, but it's mostly not incredibly relevant.

But can't the party give cool items to the companion? Or buy some barding for it?

Donny_Green
2014-06-29, 08:50 PM

Yeah and that was kinda the major point.. The only thing I gave my companion was a breast plate barding, I used a little bit of rp to explain how it wasn't mine... Yet still a few of my less than classy gamers didn't want to let it go at that.

Funny thing, me and this other guy don't like each other, and he's a bit of a vindictive no it all.

But wow is he gonna feel the pain when I take Vop instead. Now it's just ugly.

eggynack
2014-06-29, 08:52 PM
But can't the party give cool items to the companion? Or buy some barding for it?
That might be more feasible, I think. You are pulling out of party resources to some extent at that point, and you might not even be allowed to, as your animal companion using items kinda reads as you using those items, to some extent. That part strikes me as a bit ambiguous.

Catalysis
2014-06-29, 10:40 PM
All of your cash needs to be donated to charity...

The BoED rules for VoP states that such character only needs to invest the majority of his wealth in charity.

Wake up capitalists! Majority= 50% +1
You still have half-your-wealth-less-a-copper-piece to buy things you cannot own!!!

Best system ever.

weckar
2014-06-29, 11:08 PM
The scarier question is whether you can even own an animal companion with VoP.

Donny_Green
2014-06-30, 09:21 AM
The BoED rules for VoP states that such character only needs to invest the majority of his wealth in charity.

Wake up capitalists! Majority= 50% +1
You still have half-your-wealth-less-a-copper-piece to buy things you cannot own!!!

Best system ever.

The feat itself (in the feats section of BoED) actually describes VoP as being stricter than that.

Donny_Green
2014-06-30, 09:27 AM
The scarier question is whether you can even own an animal companion with VoP.

And the answer to that is YES.... and it's gonna be a real shock to my detractors. I got rid of the +5 breastplate barding, and instead picked up the +7 ac from VoP, as well as all the deflection bonuses and natural armor bonuses.

Also a bonus to strength (which is now 30) and a +2 magic/good natural attack and damage.

All togther vop, made up for what was lost, and then some.

And I have the GM's approval on it all.

Anxe
2014-06-30, 09:29 AM
People who put clothes on their animals are usually spending money on it. If someone was so devoted to charity that the owned no possessions, I doubt they would accept a gift of clothes for their dog.

Getting the Exalted Companion feat and then having your companion take VoP is probably the best way around it. Otherwise I would give the companion the same wealth restrictions that you have as it is your pet.

As for that majority share thing on VoP. I think the text indicates that the rest of the money could be given to your party members. A sketchy interpretation, but I guess its RAW.

Catalysis
2014-06-30, 09:32 AM
The feat itself (in the feats section of BoED) actually describes VoP as being stricter than that.

True, you can only keep the minimum with you: a simple weapon, clothes, food for one day.

I'm just pointing the conflictual rules of VoP:)

You get to keep half-your-wealth-less-a-copper-piece, but you can't own the money, nor can you own anything purchased with it, except food in a bag!

I'm interested though, what did you mean by much more stricter? Did I miss something?

Donny_Green
2014-06-30, 09:43 AM
True, you can only keep the minimum with you: a simple weapon, clothes, food for one day.

I'm just pointing the conflictual rules of VoP:)

You get to keep half-your-wealth-less-a-copper-piece, but you can't own the money, nor can you own anything purchased with it, except food in a bag!

I'm interested though, what did you mean by much more stricter? Did I miss something?

Basically the first line of the feat. "must not own or use any material possessions except the following."

but you bring up some fair points about the crossover between the two sections in BoED

Donny_Green
2014-06-30, 09:52 AM
People who put clothes on their animals are usually spending money on it. If someone was so devoted to charity that the owned no possessions, I doubt they would accept a gift of clothes for their dog.

Getting the Exalted Companion feat and then having your companion take VoP is probably the best way around it. Otherwise I would give the companion the same wealth restrictions that you have as it is your pet.

As for that majority share thing on VoP. I think the text indicates that the rest of the money could be given to your party members. A sketchy interpretation, but I guess its RAW.

It wasn't clothing, it was armor. And my character's back story is, he's a follower of valarian and his companion was once a member of valarian's court... That being said, wouldn't even the poorest of knights still have a suit of armor to protect them? The armor was given by valarian and still belongs to his court, my companion is just using it as a knight of valarian.

But alas, it's all so muddled up I said screw it and went VoP with the companion instead. And VoP wasn't just a go around, it made the companion even tougher than he was before.

Anxe
2014-06-30, 01:26 PM
Cool! That animal sure swore off material possessions.

Donny_Green
2014-06-30, 03:50 PM
Cool! That animal sure swore off material possessions.

He promised never to hoard treasure, or food (though he doesn't need to eat with sustenance), and to always help provide for those in need.

I think the funniest part will be at 12 HD when he doesn't need to breath anymore... or atleast the first water encounter after.

Anxe
2014-06-30, 03:58 PM
Is he a cat? Because that'd be even funnier.

"I can breathe underwater, but you can't make me get in there!"

Donny_Green
2014-06-30, 04:09 PM
Is he a cat? Because that'd be even funnier.

"I can breathe underwater, but you can't make me get in there!"
no, cave anklyasaruse, he should sink like a rock, but due to an incredible strength and no armor check penalty, he can probably get around in the water better than some of the other characters.