PDA

View Full Version : help me name a ship?

MagpieWench
2014-06-29, 11:13 PM
Hi y'all!

tl;dr: need the name of a tradeship owned by a Bard from Calimport living in Waterdeep, who worships Sune. Or: Princess Jasmine (from Aladdin) the Bard with a fire mephit familiar instead of a tiger lives in London and worships a goddess of beauty and love whose nickname is "Lady Firehair"

Long version:
A few years ago, my bard bought 3 captured ships from a pirate friend of hers. The ships originally belonged to her estranged family. She doesn't need the money from this source, but trade is sort of a way to "keep score" with her family, even if she's the only one keeping score... Oh and she's married to a Dwarf who's one of the heads of an underworld intelligence agency, but I'm not sure that's really relevant.

The three ships she has now are all large trading vessels, and are named Sune's Kiss, Flame on the Waves, and Forgotten Song

Now she has another ship, and I've been thinking for a couple of days and have jack nothing except for something to go with the Forgotten Song (Remembered Song, Ocean's Song, Silk Song, I don't know...)

Any ideas? there will probably be more ships in her future as she's going to keep investing in them...

Thanks!

2E Phoinex
2014-06-30, 06:01 AM
Some Ideas:

The Lady's Beacon

The Lady's Conquest

The Lost Lady

Jenny 4

Flamelock's Glory

Flame's Favor

Red Memory

The Lost Love

Passion's Keeper

Firehair's Embrace

Ocean's Melody

Fire's Mistress

The Silk Rider

Or mix and match that stuff until it sounds cool.

Kol Korran
2014-06-30, 06:50 AM
How did you come to get the 4th ship? Some names depend on the circumstances of acquiring a ship.

Some ideas:

- The Delight

- Wave Dancer/ Red Dancer

- Temptation

- Fortune

- Wild card

- The fourth lady/ mistress/ lover

My have more ideas later on.

hamishspence
2014-06-30, 06:51 AM
Now she has another ship, and I've been thinking for a couple of days and have jack nothing except for something to go with the Forgotten Song (Remembered Song, Ocean's Song, Silk Song, I don't know...)
Symphony of Beauty?

gnewman
2014-06-30, 09:22 AM
-What she didnt take in the divorce

No but seriously,

-WanderLust

-Maiden of the Waves

Cyrion
2014-07-02, 10:42 PM
I don't know if it quite fits your theme, but I've always liked Lallah Rookh for a ship name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2618Vu1mgM

SpikeFightwicky
2014-07-06, 08:12 PM
How did you come to get the 4th ship? Some names depend on the circumstances of acquiring a ship.

^ This ^

Also, here's an 'out of left field' idea: What if she lets her dwarf husband name it? Depending on the state of the marriage (love, convenience, pre-arranged, etc...), this works if he helped her acquire it, if he feels like she's away too often, he feels left out of her business, etc... This would make the ship stand out, vis-a-vis the rest of the fleet though, since it would likely have either a dwarfish name, or an undeworld-ish name.

Gildedragon
2014-07-08, 04:15 PM
The Hagfish

Pair of Sevens

Maurice

Raimun
2014-07-08, 07:18 PM
Unsinkable

... what?

MagpieWench
2014-07-08, 07:56 PM
sorry I haven't responded... real life got crazy, then the holiday...

These are awesome. :)

2E Phoinex, I love Firehair's Embrace and Ocean's Melody :)

Kol Korran, the out of game mechanic was I realized that when we went from 3.5 to Pathfinder that the 3 ships I'd paid 165,000gp for were now technically worth a total of 45,000gp. So, we compromised and I was able to have as many ships, as tricked out as I wanted for 90,000, and anything over that I'd have to pay out of pocket. so, 4 ships with silk sails, 2 hidden compartments each, and Expert Captain and Expert Crew (I have no idea if that's homebrew or not, I just wrote it down, each changes the bust/normal/boom 1% in your favor, and adds 1% to the return)

The IC mechanic were that the first three did well enough that I was able to buy a fourth.

I also really like Temptation :)

Spitefightwicky: She floated the idea of letting him name the ship (It's a love match unsanctioned by either family. His family is used to him being the black sheep, hers is disgusted but wants her to break it off, come home and be a good little political pawn). He was flattered, but declined. She's allowed to help him as an intelligence operative, but he doesn't want anything at all to do with ships. (also, he's very clear that her money is *her* money. *sigh* it's kind of annoying sometimes)

Raimun: LMAO that's funny. :) maybe the next one... I don't want the pirates to get any ideas...

I'll think about these for a bit and see what sticks in my head (and keep a list, b/c I'm sure there will be more... downtime story is awesome, and plot hooks are awesome)

Thanks, y'all!!! :)

Gildedragon
2014-07-09, 12:59 AM
Black Sheep

Painted any color as long as it isn't black. So when people say "go to the black sheep" they'll pass the ship that is explicitly not black over.

Hermonies

ie: Her moneys, yeah another pun name but so what?

The Dwarf's Pick

Ladies can be bawdy about naming things after their beaus

Wavelace

Petrelwing

Silken Auk

MagpieWench
2014-07-10, 10:00 PM
LOL love The Black Sheep will have to tell that one to the very punny Gnome illusionist... (oh dear lord, he would come up with a way to change the color 3 times a day, as long as it isn't black...)

The Dwarf's Pick OMG, I should float that one just to see the reaction...

Hermonies is funny, too :)

Thanks! (we have a "schedules meshed in the summer" game this weekend, yay! so I'll IC ask for help in deciding a name, too, will be amusing to see what people think of the names y'all have come up with. Making internal bets on reactions of players and characters ^_^)

BeerMug Paladin
2014-07-11, 12:13 AM
Shape. The ship Shape.

Illicit Good. Quality Time. Lee Ways. Pitch Tack. Wholesome Note. Scare Cording. Rap Sheets. Siren's Song.

I'd name my own ships Death Trap, Mutinous, Target Practice and Sinkable.

MagpieWench
2014-07-14, 09:26 PM
oooh... I like Illicit Good, too... although on a ship with smuggling compartments... probably not so great.

CombatOwl
2014-07-15, 10:38 AM
An Overwhelming Quantity of Gravitas