PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gunslinger/Alchemist

Sir Chuckles
2014-06-30, 04:37 AM
Well, I've never fully sat down and made a Paizo core/expanded character.

I now have to opportunity for one in PbP, and am a slight loss as to what to make.
Despite the slight loss, I can't seem to get a Experimental Gunsmith/Alchemist out of my head.

I'm really looking for two things:
General ideas on what someone who loves gishes (but is uncertain on the Magus), skillmonkies, and similar "creative" characters would play.
Feedback on the terrible idea that is a Gnome Gunslinger/Alchemist.

The DM went to bed without posting the starting level. I'll edit it in ASAP. I'm aiming for mid-op.

avr
2014-06-30, 06:08 AM
PF has other skillmonkey gish-classes. Inquisitors and bards for a start, and you can make a druid into one (e.g. Monkey domain + Plains Druid). Ninjas are honorary gishes too as I see it.

Experimental Gunsmith/Alchemist. The easiest way to do it IMO would be to use the gunsmith as a one level dip to get proficiency in guns and a recoilless musket and to use the Grenadier archetype & maybe the Explosive Missile discovery to make your shots count.

I guess you could instead take one level of alchemist (mindchemist) and try and max out the save DC on Vial Launcher. There are some alchemical substances which would be more useful if they had decent save DCs, but I'm not sure the concept would age well.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-06-30, 08:19 AM
Explosive Missile, by RAI, doesn't work with two-handed firearms. RAW, the rules are so poorly written that there's a couple of ways to justify using them with a musket or rifle and you can even rules lawyer the ability into working with a Ballista (with a standard action reload and fire time). Either plan to use a pistol or talk to your GM. Personally, I don't find that using the ability with a Musket is that big of a deal.

Gunslinger 1 / Alchemist X using the Grenadier archetype and picking up Explosive Missile at level 5 is a pretty fun build. Less damage that those dual wielding Pistoleros, but you get the option of applying some status debuffs and can be a skill monkey. Any Gunslinger archetype that doesn't cost you the Quick Clear deed works with this build.

ironexe
2014-06-30, 08:23 AM
I'm playing a gunslinger/Alchemist in my current game. I took one level of Gunslinger and the rest in Alchemist. I'm playing a Goblin for access to Scrap Bomb, as well as using a medium pistol as a small character. I built my character for sustaiined damage. My bombs cause the primary target to catch fire and bleed every round. I don't have my character sheet on me, so I can't tell you exactly what feats I have. I've really been enjoying my character even though he's the weakest member of the group, mechanically speaking.

stack
2014-06-30, 08:40 AM
Siege gunners get int based grit. Worth a look.