PDA

View Full Version : Sharn: those green flying disc thingies

Zombimode
2014-06-30, 06:19 AM
The cover of the Sharn: City of Towers supplement shows a battle between a band of adventures on a skiff and a horde of gnolls high in the skies of Sharn. The gnolls are riding some green flying discs. I have no idea what they are but I'm really curious.

The "Items" section of this books comes up empty.

Is it an item defined in another book?
A spell effect?
Something not actually supported by the rules? (I doubt that one, the Eberron artwork generally translates pretty well to the mechanics)

Vorandril
2014-06-30, 06:23 AM
A sparkly artistic representation of Fly?

Tenser's Floating Disk?

Zombimode
2014-06-30, 06:38 AM
A sparkly artistic representation of Fly?

Possible, but I doubt it. The discs look like separate entities, that you can use and fall off from.

Also, there are 10 gnolls and a sorcerer chick on the picture. Fly is a single target spell. That would be 11 3rd level spells.
I'm not saying that it can't happen, just that it is unlikely.

Tenser's Floating Disk?

Not if we are talking about the same spell (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/floatingDisk.htm).

Edit: nevermind, I've found it in the book. Those things are so called "soarsled". They are wondrous items priced at 38.000 gp apiece :smalleek:

Yeah, the eleven 750 gp potions of fly seem much more reasonable in comparison...

DigoDragon
2014-06-30, 06:57 AM
The cover of the Sharn: City of Towers supplement shows a battle between a band of adventures on a skiff and a horde of gnolls high in the skies of Sharn. The gnolls are riding some green flying discs. I have no idea what they are but I'm really curious.

Is this the cover (http://www.waynereynolds.com/Fantasy%20Art%20gallery%202/gallery%20images/6_sharn_city_of_towers.jpg) you are describing?

I've never heard of a spell that will create such a disk, so maybe it's just artistic license.

Vorandril
2014-06-30, 07:10 AM
Plus that looks like the style of crystal they like to use for Psionic items. Putting my gold on it being a "Rule of cool" thing.

unseenmage
2014-06-30, 11:04 AM
The Soarsled is in Sharn: City of Towers page 171.